Status
Not open for further replies.
Left Friday evening and was able to fish an hour and half at Thrasher, was a beauty night; flat clam.
Fished the same old, 125-180; missed at 125 and hooked up nice at 180, the wife brought a gorgeous one just out of reach and had a hook spat back at us, that was it for the night; anchored up north side of Valdes in Wales cove.
Fished Thrasher Saturday morning, late start, 10am.
1130 the bite came on for us, boxed two around 8/10lbs and the wife caught a beauty, that I’m guessing 12-15lbs that we had to release cause she didn’t get her licence and we already had our 2. Left at 1230.
Still great fishing out there.
Haven’t changed for a while, 125-180 with all Hardware. Find they are hitting anywhere from 110-180’.
Will be out doing the same next weekend.

Is it just me or does nobody use channel 88a anymore?

Is it just me or does nobody use channel 88a anymore?

I thought I just needed a better antenna lol. I guess not. No chatter when I checked 88 so I just listened to Victoria coast guard all day.

South end of Bowen for me, further from the pack for the most part. 100’ got one 67cm, 3 undersized. Got to try out the new phantom flashers that I won in the contest so they do work, but I won’t be spending $20 a pop on them lol. Fiancé and the pup had a good day on the boat which they don’t get to do too often. About 30 prawns too for dinner tonight

Forgot to mention in my report on Thrasher from yesterday that twice my line got hit while I was dropping the rigger. When it happened I just thought the line wasn't set in the clip far enough but as I started to reel ........... it became apparent there was a fish on. Got them to surface but each time they spit the hook. The rigger might have been down 30-40 ft when the fish hit so my guess would be a coho ?

Any thoughts on the likelihood of them being springs vs coho?

I've heard of people getting hit during retrieval when they pull the line from the clip at depth and I've also heard of people having trouble getting past coho to get to the springs down deeper ............ just haven't experienced either before so was looking for some insight.

Forgot to mention in my report on Thrasher from yesterday that twice my line got hit while I was dropping the rigger. When it happened I just thought the line wasn't set in the clip far enough but as I started to reel ........... it became apparent there was a fish on. Got them to surface but each time they spit the hook. The rigger might have been down 30-40 ft when the fish hit so my guess would be a coho ?

I've heard of people getting hit during retrieval when they pull the line from the clip at depth and I've also heard of people having trouble getting past coho to get to the springs down deeper ............ just haven't experienced either before so was looking for some insight.

We were hitting fish on the way up and down there as well. 1 keeper at 4o’ while packing the gear up. Haven’t hit a coho yet. They are around though.

We got some while putting gear down last week too and they were springs. These fish are aggressively feeding and will chase fast moving targets. You probably also noticed that they will bite at much faster troll speeds than normal.

Is this the "Farr Better Flasher"? How do you like them? I have one but have never tried soaking it.

Good eye el.pereh!. I like the far better setup but went to heavier line as the supplied line was a week link.

We got some while putting gear down last week too and they were springs. These fish are aggressively feeding and will chase fast moving targets. You probably also noticed that they will bite at much faster troll speeds than normal.
Yup, been hitting them on the way down too, mine I found were at random 80-100’

Seems like silver blue and everready are the only ones that talk on 88a anymore lol. We crossed today and fished offshore Gabriola. 2 in the box to show for it. The algae bloom was ridiculous. After awhile got tired of it and fished the grande in some cleaner water but the weeds moved in. Some buddies toughed it out in the slime and boxed 8 whites on white hoochies. 107 to 149 ft was working today for our group.

Fished around Gabriola and Nanaimo today. 8 springs landed and two lost. Most were small but still managed our limit of keepers. Two of them were teens. All on bait from 124 to 164 feet. Yup algae was bad in some areas big time.

And Captain Party Marty there was an orange buoy bobbing up and down above and below the water line right in between Grande and Thrasher. May have been yours. We didn't read the writing but did note that the writing was very faded and towards the bottom part of the buoy. But this float was not "big" it was medium to a medium/small size. Was in about 350' of water.

20180506_062606.jpg
20180506_082351.jpg

20180506_090832.jpg

20180506_095255.jpg

20180506_101734.jpg

20180506_164740.jpg

I lost two prawn traps in that area as well a few weeks back. My buddies think in meters and I think in feet. Long story short we put two traps down in tandem on one line with about 375’ of line. Has a medium size round buoy with my name (Toda) and ph number on it if anyone sees it.

I lost two prawn traps in that area as well a few weeks back. My buddies think in meters and I think in feet. Long story short we put two traps down in tandem on one line with about 375’ of line. Has a medium size round buoy with my name (Toda) and ph number on it if anyone sees it.
Saw a trap with crab marker off Bowen just west of Cowan Point yesterday. Was just staying afloat in about 450 feet.

Took a buddy fishing last summer and he was messing around with my plotter/sounder. (note to self..put signs on equipment "do not touch my electronics!") He changed my settings from feet to meters!! Set our prawn traps in what I thought was 300' in a new spot up the sound, not realizing it was in fact 300M of water. (not many spots that deep in the sound lol!) Then set our crab traps after that. Thankfully the currents moving through that part of the sound that day kept our prawn traps "floating" in behind an island all day and by the time we came back to check them we were still able to recovered them all. Unfortunately one of my crab traps (a nice all stainless one) floated off to find it's own new home. I use large buoys for all my rigs so that if this happens they don't sink but they can float away and still hopefully find them.
Now no matter where I set my rigs; prawn or crab, right after dropping them I go around after they are set and give them a pull to make sure there is slack line confirming they are all sitting on the bottom with lot's of extra slack line. Having buddies out with you to fish is a great time but our boats are our pride and joy and we dial them in to fish how we want them to so we gotta make sure our buddies don't mess with any of the stuff on them lol :rolleyes:

Anyone at thrasher or porlier today have a weather/fishing report?

Off the hump right now. Starting to come down nicely. Still around 10-15 knots slight southerly roll with a bit of slop on top. Been out for hour or so no love yet.
Gonna make the thrasher run in mornin I think

Not your targeted area but though might give you an idea

Off the hump right now. Starting to come down nicely. Still around 10-15 knots slight southerly roll with a bit of slop on top. Been out for hour or so no love yet.
Gonna make the thrasher run in mornin I think

Not your targeted area but though might give you an idea
Thanks, for the update! Didn't end up going out but did give me a good idea of what to expect at Thrasher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back