DFO rules on shellfish bait

does this work better than beetles or macineration? i gotta goat head in the freezer, was going with mancineratin but........this sounds like good idea

Tape the antler/horn well. Will keep from bleaching out the color. The skull will whiten nicely

we used the same bear head for days in a crab trap before a seal ( i presume ) smashed the hell out of the trap and took off with it. too bad it was a big skull

Had a nice conversation with DFO at the Victoria Boat Show. I showed the officers the link and was informed that there is no such rule against using chicken or even freezer burned fillets in the actual law. The officers were reasonably concerned about the error and I think will be trying to get it removed from the regulations. Very impressed with the response.

Serious? Nobody here ever has freezer burnt salmon filets??!? I don’t have a 1000$ chamber vacuums sealer. My seal a meal is ok but there is always some leaky bags stuff happens.

Serious? Nobody here ever has freezer burnt salmon filets??!? I don’t have a 1000$ chamber vacuums sealer. My seal a meal is ok but there is always some leaky bags stuff happens.

Internet Saints never waste anything, do anything wrong, make mistakes etc.... Don't worry, you're not alone.

Have been boarded, full inspection by DFO after coming in from fishing/prawning/crabbing. Had Ling Cod and Salmon spines/fins/parts on board in my fridge and still pieces in my crab trap bait bags. They didn't give one **** about any of that stuff. Just wanted to see my numbers/sex of crab, size/species of salmon, and number of prawns caught (this was pre reg about female egg baring prawns but we didn't keep any females anyway so they liked that), also checked us for all our safety stuff on board even though we were currently tied up to a marina just after coming in when they checked us and we had everything we were supposed to have on board, even two of some of the safety items so they were very pleased. All the years of fishing on the ocean I've never heard of any DFO giving any fines out whatsoever for using fish carcasses for bait and that's on both sides of the border cause I fished out of Point Roberts a lot a while back. Can't remember if it's written BS like that in the USA regs but they never gave a **** either if it was.

But do as you please and interpret it how you see fit. You're boat, your gear, so no one should take law advice from guys on the internet anyway. If you are that worried about it call DFO, get a name of who you talk to, ask for an email with a reply to your questions and keep it on board with you. May give you the peace of mind you are after about it. I've done this in the past for example with the packaging/transportation reg interpretations..

Last edited:
I remember hearing about someone using Bear meat for bait years ago-had a good laugh at the time-apparently smoked Pork hocks work well too must be the fat that draws 'em in.

I'm glad there is a discussion on this topic. When I first read the regs I was convinced that any salmon parts, other than guts, were prohibited. As far as I knew, offal was guts and that's all. Around the harbour, all seemed to agree that once the fillets were removed, the rest was ok for bait.
So... I pulled up an on line dictionary and read the definition. Yup... Anything left over after butchering is considered to be offal. Seems I've been using the word wrongly for a very long time.

Didn't read all reply's but it says only Fish offal etc. Fish offal is the waist. Head guts tail what ever. Doesn't say anything about chicken turkey or artificial bait

Back