2018 Sidney Reports

Well i have a friend that fished the Oak Bay flats last weekend and got 6 in 1.5 hrs. Maybe you aren't fishing the right area?
No, I’m just terrible at fishing. I’m going to switch to braid on the riggers. I hear the flats are heating up. @Gham let’s go!

Its like 45 miles by boat to Thrasher from the Sidney ramp, certainly not a short trip. Talked to an american guy who made the run the other day but if youre planning on doing that you better take about 8 jerry cans.

The traps in Sidney Channel are ridiculous, I dont even try and fish there anymore.

Caught twin 13# fish in Sidney today. Beautiful day out there!
Probably more comfortable to drive 90 minutes and launch near the spot.

Its like 45 miles by boat to Thrasher from the Sidney ramp, certainly not a short trip. Talked to an american guy who made the run the other day but if youre planning on doing that you better take about 8 jerry cans.

The traps in Sidney Channel are ridiculous, I dont even try and fish there anymore.

Caught twin 13# fish in Sidney today. Beautiful day out there!

Or you could tow your boat up to Ladysmith or Crofton which isn't far from Victoria at all.

Can anyone tell me how far it is from the Crofton dock to Thrasher?Just interested for future trips from that dock.

K! Thanks
Drop your gear just below the surface and take a look at it. Spoons should "flutter" side to side. Hootchies should give a little whip with the flasher. Your anchovy should have a nice tight roll about 1 turn per second, it shouldn't flop around wildly or turn like a drill bit. use 45 degrees on the riggers as a guide. if you get a hit on a turn, was it inside or outside. if it was inside slow down a bit-outside, speed up a bit. sometimes in August you can go so slow that the gear just turns, but as Fishtofino said faster is usually better. When you see the the commercial trollers go by they are usually hauling butt.

I was too bagged to go to the awards dinner and my fishing partner caught too much sun so I cant say for sure, but I saw the 23 caught right in front of me at Coal and it looked like a beauty. A couple buddies had fish from 12-16, our biggest was about 7 so we didnt have anything to weigh in. We fished Coal all day and I saw about 6 fish caught. Once the dust settles hopefully I can find out a total amount raised for salmon enhancement.

Thanks to all the participants, sponsors, and volunteers. I got a glimpse of what it takes to organize this derby and there are countless volunteers working tirelessly to put on the best derby they can with the circumstances given. Lots of truly selfless people donating their time and efforts for months on end all in the name of salmon enhancement. These people really care about the cause and it shows!

And now for some fishing reports... I fished about 11 of the last 14 days, lots of time at Saanichton, Coal, Fairfax and Pender. Coal was the hottest spot for me these past 2 weeks but it wasnt easy most days. The AP sandlance was the hot lure followed by tiny strip. Basically if youre willing to move around and put a solid day in you should be able to find a few fish somewhere.

Fished the derby yesterday and started at Hamley and there was about 15 boats there. Didn't see a fish caught but might have missed something ? Moved to Powder wharf and jigged up a 13.8 good for 9th place. Saw a few fish caught but was pretty slow. Lost a good one trolling in the end on a needle fish squirt right on the bottom at 100ft. Heard second place 21# came from Pender Bluffs. Thanks Sidney Anglers for another great derby and all the hard work you guys do.

I bet @Original a beer to guess the winning fish size... I guessed 23lb 3oz he guessed 14lb 8oz. He wins because I went over by 2oz :(
Damn price is right rules, no going over.
@Original name the time and place

Lol I would’ve, but to prevent that we wrote it down first

Back