2018 Campbell River Reports

The past few weekend tons of boats going out of Pacific Playgrounds which is just south of CR. Fishing has been more on that off at Sentry Shoals. NE and SE side of the Shoals have been best. Spoons in glow Cop Car and Herring Aid seemed to work the best but some fellas are running cut plug as well with good luck. A few really nice early season fish coming in as well. 22lbs is the biggest so far that I saw but good average size fish. It was killing be because my boat isn’t quite finished yet so I didn’t even get a sniff...

Nobody fishing CR ??
Fished the early slack off Willow Point solo this morning. 2 small, red springs in the boat within an hour. The larger was 12 pounds. 4" glow cop car spoon with purple haze flasher, 210 feet of water with the riggers at 180.

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpg
    IMG_2524.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 81
Pretty quiet thread, here.
I fished the green can at Wilby this morning and picked up 2 nice salmon on spoons.
Try 180 on the downriggers.

Back to the green can on this beautiful morning. 4 fish in 2 hours: 2 keepers.
Fished 140 to 180 with best results at 180 on the rigger with herring aid spoon.

Back to the green can on this beautiful morning. 4 fish in 2 hours: 2 keepers.
Fished 140 to 180 with best results at 180 on the rigger with herring aid spoon.

Good job! i was there yesterday fishing almost all by my self. are you fishing south of wilby and the green can? i was fishing the east side of wilby but no fish love for me

Good job! i was there yesterday fishing almost all by my self. are you fishing south of wilby and the green can? i was fishing the east side of wilby but no fish love for me
Yeah, fishing about a half mile South. I was out there early, until about 9:00 am. Tight lines, RB!

Out this morning for 3 hours. Weather was great. Picked up one undersized (released) and that's all. Spent lots of time clearing weed from the lines - frustrating. I'll have to try a few other areas, as well.

No don't go back I was there 1 till 4 yesterday hit 2 big fish one up to the boat then peeled lots of line then gone the second on for a minute then gone both had size army truck 180 feet.
t

Late post sorry.
Got out tuesday am with @Heavyc fishing the hump drift on the last part of the ebb tide. picked up two chinook about 10 lbs and two ling on the troll as a bonus. Chinook had 4” herring in their bellies as well as a couple of firecracker 7” sized herring. both springs were feeder females with immature eggs.

So I went back to the green can Wednesday and was treated to a whale of a show - humpbacks lollygagging in the area, right near the boats. One surfaced about 100 feet away, then rolled on his side, exposing that big pectoral fin. They hung out for most of the morning.

As for fishing, it was great at low slack near Kitty Coleman.

Went out yesterday for 4 undersized springs - released nicely. Lots of boats hovering near the red can hump.

Hit up the green can this morning. had lines in the water by 5:15 AM. 4 keepers to the boat by 6:15AM. great morning. let 1 undersize go and lost another but was fast action this morning. No coho around yet that we could find. biggest was around 15lbs most around 8-10.

It’s been a wile since I was out. Finally got some time to fish. Fished green can like right at the can as lots of bait and fish in the shallows. I kept a teener . Released a half dozen cohos and small springs. I noticed a couple guys in a tin boat fishing in a strange way. They were chasing the bait ball zig zagging all over the place and would drop the lines and jig. Worked like a hot damn. Every time they stopped and dropped they had fish on. Looked like fun but they were going more buzzing around in circles than fishing but playing a hell of a lot more fish than I was. Lol. Fun nite.

I fished pretty hard the past few days in the area of the green can. The east side of the Wilby Shoals is a ghost town, pretty much from the green can to Francisco Point is a barren wasteland lol. Not a skiff of bait. Between the green and red cans you can find pretty consistent bait down deep in the 250-300'. I did manage to find a nice pocket of bait tight to the green can in the 90-120' range which was real treat. Fishing was best coming out of the low slack where it seem to turn on pretty consistently. Coho's were in the mix all day as well with a few hatchery's in the box.

I'm not one to normally tout a flasher as being the reason I did well but I tried a new flasher this past week as it closely mirrors the Homeland Security colors that have been red hot out here. Its a new Coyote flasher called Hog Wild Glow. 95% of my fish came on that side, even when running at the same/similar depths with the same spoon on both sides. It's got a good texture on the one side too so I'm not sure if it has a bit of a sound signature that they like. Anyway, if you see one in your local tackle shop, snap it up.

Tight lines,

WW

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 161
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 156
Thanks for the post WW. I was wondering how you made out. Maybe next time I can make it out for a tutorial on butterfly jigging.

Thanks for the post WW. I was wondering how you made out. Maybe next time I can make it out for a tutorial on butterfly jigging.

Once you do you will be hooked. It's a blast

Back