Emergency Victoria @ Area SFAB Mtg Re: 2018 Chinook - May 4/18

As mentioned in my earlier post. There isn't much to share at the moment. All the SFAC Chairs from all Areas have been invited to a meeting tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. to see the model, and hear what various management options are under consideration. Cut Plug set out some of those management options nicely, please refer to the list of potential options.

The Fraser River stocks of concern (where management measures might be considered) migrate through all areas, but are intercepted (exploited) to various degrees in each area. So all areas are being reviewed to determine what management measures would be applied. Also in the mix of considerations is timing. Timing is an important consideration as some stocks of concern are highly migratory, and only passing through certain areas and then gone - so why have a fishing regulation in effect when there is no point! While others (Harrison River) are present in specific areas over extended periods.

So this situation potentially could have impacts across a wide variety of areas, and most notably in those where exploitation rates are highest. I'm sure that once the SFAC Area Chairs hear about the potential regulations measures under consideration for their Areas, they will find ways (meetings, conference calls, e-mail polls etc) to engage their local SFAC members to get some quick input.

My personal view is we should follow a few decision principles when assessing what to do:

1. Apply management measures only in places and times where the exploitation history shows the planned measures would actually deliver a reduction in catch that makes a significant enough difference - "Is the juice worth the squeeze".
2. Apply a Minimum Viable Product approach - only the minimum restriction necessary to produce a real outcome, not a politically motivated one where we are doing something just to be seen taking action.
3. Take into consideration the impacts of other management measures such as Area Closures for SRKW
4. Select options that protect to the highest degree possible the "opportunity" to catch fish. As Cut Plug stated, maybe its better to have a 2 fish option by applying a max size restriction than 1 fish?
5. Consider other alternatives for generating angling expectation and opportunity where we apply measures such as maximum size restrictions - So for example, if we implement a max size cap of 85cm, then consider an offset to create opportunity through concepts such as lowering the minimum size restriction in areas with 62cm to 55cm (that could be coast-wide). Maybe if we bump up the min size in areas where it is 45cm to 55cm, that also helps offset where we create opportunities through.

Here's an example of where the various area exploitation concerns are - look at the bubbles - larger bubbles = higher exploitation, so its fairly obvious where the focus will be.

upload_2018-5-2_18-43-18.png

Only 4 years of results?

One would think there are much more? Why are these not shown?

Only 4 years of results?

One would think there are much more? Why are these not shown?
Perhaps because DFO is trying to hide evidence ;) Another conspiracy started.
Good question to ask DFO who provided this info.
Yup, not a conspiracy. My read of the data set provided from DFO (feel free to ask them as I'm not the author of the data) was they wanted to look at a 4 year cycle, which also allowed them to assess the potential positive benefits of the management measures in JDF aimed at restricting the exploitation of Fraser fish.

I don't see the point of this meeting. Same as the other recent one in Sidney where we were asked to accept either **** or crap. Stinks either way. Maybe it's time for the SFAB to push back and refuse to table such ridiculous choices to their constituents.

I don't see the point of this meeting. Same as the other recent one in Sidney where we were asked to accept either **** or crap. Stinks either way. Maybe it's time for the SFAB to push back and refuse to table such ridiculous choices to their constituents.

I think that's the point, ****/crap coming down, that can not be stopped, but the SFAB is able to make recommendations on measures that might be a little less stinky and effect a few less fisherman. Otherwise it will just be decided with no input or the sport fisherman's side being presented at all. Refusing to provide choices means just accepting whatever the government decides, which I guess is a valid position, but I'd rather have the SFAB representation.

**************** MEETING LOCATION CONFIRMATION ******************

The Victoria and Area SFAB Committee meeting, scheduled for this Friday May 4th at 7:00 p.m., will be held in the Ballroom of the Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel, 829 McCallum Road, Victoria (The hotel is located behind Costco in Langford)

All are welcome to attend and please share this meeting invitation broadly so local salmon anglers know about it. There is no charge to attend, parking is free and the facilities are wheelchair accessible. There will be a cash bar in the room and I understand the hotel is planning a meeting dinner special in the restaurant for those who want to eat there before the meeting starts.

The meeting agenda will include:

• PowerPoint about the DFO proposed additional Fraser Chinook measures in 2018
  • The proposed local SFAB committee response and a summary about other PFMAs where possible
  • PowerPoint update about the DFO Proposed Southern Resident Killer Whale closures
  • Initiating an angler-based stock composition and bio-sampling program

I look forward to seeing everyone there,

Chris
PH: (778) 426-4141
Email: Governor@shaw.ca

Protection of the wild stock surely seems to be very restrictive and very selective. Oil tanker traffic, sports and commercial fishing seem to be the only popular topics of concern.

I get pissed when things like these farms fish are caught pouring thousands of gallons of infected effluent into the water sheds, HSMI has been found in (returning I think) salmon in these water sheds, this a know killer of salmon.

This is an action that the province can take that could have immediate results as far as the next run of each species.

It is becoming clearer that the killer whale problem can be related to the number of fish farms and the amount of time those virus infected floating incubators have been in operation.

If the northern Orca's learn to start feeding on seals instead of salmon then watch the furor of stopping all fishing so they can have more to salmon to eat because people will get upset watching cute little seals being torn apart. Have to stop all fishing then.

Bah the biggest threat, apart from the government back east running the fisheries department out here, is this virus. It is only time before it crosses over to other species, it should be treated like small pox, eradicated. There is no way it should be found in the watersheds.

Sure worry about the Orcas', stop freighter traffic, reduce all fishing, let seal populations run amok, but don't get rid of a known killer of salmon, let that continue and grow, if this keeps up they will be feeding farm fish to the whales.

Who knows maybe eating these infected salmon is a major contributing factor reason for the whale problem after all the infected one's are the one's caught first and easiest so they eat more of them.

Just remember what magicians do, distraction, same with politics, look over here at a flashy but unimportant story and ignore what the other hand is doing.

Kiss me first, please.

Sorry I am getting old and tired of the same stuff all the time, change the name but it is still the same.

Last minute notifications, better than before when they didn't bother at all. I can't get over to the island to voice any concerns, so I cry here instead.

Last edited:
Conspiracy, no that was not the reason for the question.
The reason was to see as much history as possible for the areas these fish were in!
That was how they did Cowichan stocks, seems that it would make sense to use all the info. available.

Perhaps because DFO is trying to hide evidence ;) Another conspiracy started.

Yup, not a conspiracy. My read of the data set provided from DFO (feel free to ask them as I'm not the author of the data) was they wanted to look at a 4 year cycle, which also allowed them to assess the potential positive benefits of the management measures in JDF aimed at restricting the exploitation of Fraser fish.

Last edited:
With all due respect to those who are working in favour of maintaining a Sport Fishery , but ,
What happened to the days of PROTEST?
What gets more PRESS , a room full of sporties at a meeting arguing over some issues OR,
a few thousand guys /gals with fishing rods in hand and protest banners and selected speakers demanding Fishery Minister Le Blanc,s resignation in front of DFO office... and hundreds of boats under the LIONS GATE bridge disrupting shipping traffic..
THAT WILL GET MEDIA ATTENTION TO THE ISSUES ON PRIME TIME.

Excellent idea. How about contacting some of the organizations that lobby for the rec sector (e.g. SFI-BC, SVIAC, BCWF, WCGA, local fishing clubs, etc.) and share with them some ideas and some time to help make it happen. The rec sector lobbying organizations that I know of are stretched to the limit right now. If stuff like this is going to happen (and I agree it needs to), they need volunteers with some money and most of ALL some time!

What are you protesting? Are you protesting against being asked to contribute to the protection and restoration of Chinook runs that are in trouble? Are you protesting against having the chance to provide input before being told? Are you protesting against lack of restrictions and enforcement in the river regarding FN. are you protesting to put pressure on DFO to step up efforts regarding ocean survival and freshwater habitat. I only ask because this entire issue is loaded with more questions than answers. If you are going to put recfishing in the forefront along side the NGO’s, reconciliation, starving whales,predators that look like puppies, and dangerously low salmon returns, you better have a clear and sensible point before asking for public support. That said if DFO refuses to do any more than restrict for the point of optics, then I would support this line of thinking.

You have to be so carefull with large scale protests. The media will always find the loose cannon in the group and the message will be spun. So easy for the story to look like a bunch of greedy fishermen pissed off that they can't keep taking fish while FN fishers say they have cut back, enviros say whales are starving and the Fish Farms say they are taking pressure off wild stocks.
Take a lesson from the groups that are beating us up. Its all about having the funds and the talent to run a smart campaign that wins the public ear and minds.

Both excellent points above by Jencourt and profisher. Need to carefully think about your message before you go out with big public protests.

No point on theorizing what to do until we have a clear picture of what the total management action looks like.

One thing i know for certain this has nothing to do with conservation, Just like Thompson Steelhead/Cultis Sockeye ect, These fish will get intercepted in mix sock fisheries by all user groups

And what happens if we get a sockeye return this year? these chinook management measures will be for no reason other than to hurt recreational fishermen you can guarantee that these socks will be smashed in Commercial and FN sockeye harvests.

These chinook stocks would or already been wiped out 10-20 years ago if Sockeye stocks were strong and commercial and FN fishers continued. The only reason these stocks are still around is because sockeyes tanked and were down to 1 commercial size fishery every 4 years. I have not mentioned all the Illegal fishing that happens but Whitebuck has commented on it enough that most should know by now.

we pay 100's of dollars per pound for our fish, If a fish is going to die then it should be maximised for economic purposes. Id gladly pay FN not to fish, Even if it was 100 dollars a year that's a drop in the bucket compared to all the other expenses i have. Make a Tidal water FN Salmon Stamp of 100 Bucks. IF the government is hell bent on using salmon for reconciliation, Then so be it ill pay em for access.

IT's better than staying off the water, If thats what its going to come down to.

I have always believed the opposite when it comes to big sockeye years. Sockeye are worth more per pound and in a big return big money can be made fast. So in a big Sockeye year the gill nets used are 4inch mesh and not the 8inch mesh used for Chinook. Therefore while in river fishers target sockeye, Chinook fair better. During lower sockeye returns DFO gives more time on Chinook with the bigger mesh.

I have always believed the opposite when it comes to big sockeye years. Sockeye are worth more per pound and in a big return big money can be made fast. So in a big Sockeye year the gill nets used are 4inch mesh and not the 8inch mesh used for Chinook. Therefore while in river fishers target sockeye, Chinook fair better. During lower sockeye returns DFO gives more time on Chinook with the bigger mesh.

Look at the tangles of chinook on the Whonnock/Albion test fishery, The sockeye Gill nets out fish Chinook Gill nets for chinook.

Truth tho they typically get less chinook fisheries if they get sockeye ones.

Protection of the wild stock surely seems to be very restrictive and very selective. Oil tanker traffic, sports and commercial fishing seem to be the only popular topics of concern.

I get pissed when things like these farms fish are caught pouring thousands of gallons of infected effluent into the water sheds, HSMI has been found in (returning I think) salmon in these water sheds, this a know killer of salmon.

This is an action that the province can take that could have immediate results as far as the next run of each species.

It is becoming clearer that the killer whale problem can be related to the number of fish farms and the amount of time those virus infected floating incubators have been in operation.

If the northern Orca's learn to start feeding on seals instead of salmon then watch the furor of stopping all fishing so they can have more to salmon to eat because people will get upset watching cute little seals being torn apart. Have to stop all fishing then.

Bah the biggest threat, apart from the government back east running the fisheries department out here, is this virus. It is only time before it crosses over to other species, it should be treated like small pox, eradicated. There is no way it should be found in the watersheds.

Sure worry about the Orcas', stop freighter traffic, reduce all fishing, let seal populations run amok, but don't get rid of a known killer of salmon, let that continue and grow, if this keeps up they will be feeding farm fish to the whales.

Who knows maybe eating these infected salmon is a major contributing factor reason for the whale problem after all the infected one's are the one's caught first and easiest so they eat more of them.

Just remember what magicians do, distraction, same with politics, look over here at a flashy but unimportant story and ignore what the other hand is doing.

Kiss me first, please.

Sorry I am getting old and tired of the same stuff all the time, change the name but it is still the same.

Last minute notifications, better than before when they didn't bother at all. I can't get over to the island to voice any concerns, so I cry here instead.

Thxs for your meaningful and well written and thought out post.
This is the way I feel also. Everything BUT fish farms, will be doing the heavy lifting to try to slow the decimation of our wild salmon runs, when one of the biggest contributors to their decimation is backed by science and staring us in the face. And this problem of virus and disease laden, incubating and spreading open net pen fish farms is 100% controllable and preventable. And hardly a peep or a mention here about this in this thread. And not a word or ounce of effort to do what's right about this from DFO. Their efforts are all to support and prop up the industry at any (taxpayer) cost, rather than regulate it the way it should be regulated.
sad imo.
I can get onboard with other restrictions, but it's a slap in the face when the fish farms are not only carrying on with their day to day activities, but also expanding and growing in sensitive salmon and smolt migratory routes with little restriction, enforcement or meaningful oversight.

Last edited:
Back