Status
Not open for further replies.
left the pack and picked up a keeper red at Cowan around 3:30. Absolutely beautiful day on the water, perfect conditions and steady action all afternoon.

First go this year. Dropped in at the hump one to five. 6 under size and one 14lb keeper that peeled off half the line on my reel. 126 feet on the rigger. Out first light tomorrow. Will post any good news.

Attachments

• 366D8046-E9CB-4896-933B-B4CA27FDA9CD.jpeg
    366D8046-E9CB-4896-933B-B4CA27FDA9CD.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 194
Out at the hump now (11am Thursday ). First time out here and wonder where all the boats are?? Been out for an hour with not a sniff. Heading towards south bowen in hopes of a change.

Out at the hump now (11am Thursday ). First time out here and wonder where all the boats are?? Been out for an hour with not a sniff. Heading towards south bowen in hopes of a change.

Look at your Chart.
West of Bowen you will see a plateau of roughly 500’, it runs north/south. That’s the hump. It’s a fairly large area. Typically during the week you won’t find it busy. You’ll see more boats towards the north or south rips and quite often closer to Bowen.
You want to fish the outside edges or whatever structure you can find within the hump itself.
Any how that’s my take; I’m sure people will correct me shortly.
Best of luck.
I’m heading to Thrasher tomorrow afternoon, fish the evening; anchor for the night and if the winds allow I’ll fish Saturday morning. I’ll post updates.
Anyone headed out tomorrow to the gulfs, would love an update on conditions.

Look at your Chart.
West of Bowen you will see a plateau of roughly 500’, it runs north/south. That’s the hump. It’s a fairly large area. Typically during the week you won’t find it busy. You’ll see more boats towards the north or south rips and quite often closer to Bowen.
You want to fish the outside edges or whatever structure you can find within the hump itself.
Any how that’s my take; I’m sure people will correct me shortly.
Best of luck.
I’m heading to Thrasher tomorrow afternoon, fish the evening; anchor for the night and if the winds allow I’ll fish Saturday morning. I’ll post updates.
Anyone headed out tomorrow to the gulfs, would love an update on conditions.
It runs East West. Or North West to South East. Now I'm starting to understand why everyone is so confused about where they're fishing. You either fish the North contour or the South contour. Most guys either fish the Eastern most corner of the South side or a point directly South (SW) of Roger Curtis on the North side.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is driving me nuts.

It runs East West. Or North West to South East. Now I'm starting to understand why everyone is so confused about where they're fishing. You either fish the North contour or the South contour. Most guys either fish the Eastern most corner of the South side or a point directly South (SW) of Roger Curtis on the North side.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is driving me nuts.

Just put your line in and fish. Hooked fish in 950’ all the way to 500’ish. Everyone gravitates towards other boats. Just fish and enjoy your time away from the pack.

Just put your line in and fish. Hooked fish in 950’ all the way to 500’ish. Everyone gravitates towards other boats. Just fish and enjoy your time away from the pack.
Agreed. I've caught way more fish (not just at the hump) away from the sheep.

Agree 100%. I think a pack of boats puts fish off and on top of that my lure has to compete with everybody else’s lure. Must look like a smorgasbord for the fish. How to choose? One here. One there. Another here. Maybe I’m not even that hungry.

Away from the pack my lure looks like a meal for a king, and not one of many choices.

The hump is great because you can get away from the pack and fish can be in a lot of different spots.

First go this year. Dropped in at the hump one to five. 6 under size and one 14lb keeper that peeled off half the line on my reel. 126 feet on the rigger. Out first light tomorrow. Will post any good news.
Is this the "Farr Better Flasher"? How do you like them? I have one but have never tried soaking it.

Disagree with you BC Ringo - you can do a lot better if you watch your tides. My guess is that without a big change in flood tide - i.e. current - fish will disperse so i would favor just before the low slack in the afternoon. i'll let you know how it works out Sunday night. definately would be a problem for west van fish later in the year - nothing to push them towards the Cap. Hump & Thrasher probably doesn't make as much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back