EPIRB recommendations

NDT

As the title states, I'm looking for recommendations on Epirbs. I've been looking online and there's a few options.

What type/brand are you using? Auto or manual release?
Best place to mount on the boat?

Any advice would be much appreciated

As the title states, I'm looking for recommendations on Epirbs. I've been looking online and there's a few options.

What type/brand are you using? Auto or manual release?
Best place to mount on the boat?

Any advice would be much appreciated
I bought this one: "2842 globalfix pro cat1 class 2 automatic deploy" Don't know it's worth it to buy a manual one, after watching that video of the boat sinking while picking up traps it reinforces the fact that if bad things happen they can happen so fast that you won't have time to manually activate an epirb. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks on an auto model. I ended up mounting mine so the hydrostatic release mechanism is 18" off the deck, as close to the centre of the bulkhead as I could (ended up between my door and rear steering station), I figured if I have 18" of water at my bulkhead I'm happy with the EPIRB activating. Was easy to install and is easy to test. Don't forget to complete the beacon registry, it was simple to do online.

Reactions: NDT
I bought one online from the USA and had to take it in to get it re-coded for Canadian registration. Turned out to be a bit of a PIA. I think it also cost $40 to re-code, so consider that when comparing pricing.

I bought one online from the USA and had to take it in to get it re-coded for Canadian registration. Turned out to be a bit of a PIA. I think it also cost $40 to re-code, so consider that when comparing pricing.

Still works if you leave it as US...in fact, they probably have more resources to respond than Canada. Sadly.

I bought this one: "2842 globalfix pro cat1 class 2 automatic deploy" Don't know it's worth it to buy a manual one, after watching that video of the boat sinking while picking up traps it reinforces the fact that if bad things happen they can happen so fast that you won't have time to manually activate an epirb. Spend the extra couple hundred bucks on an auto model. I ended up mounting mine so the hydrostatic release mechanism is 18" off the deck, as close to the centre of the bulkhead as I could (ended up between my door and rear steering station), I figured if I have 18" of water at my bulkhead I'm happy with the EPIRB activating. Was easy to install and is easy to test. Don't forget to complete the beacon registry, it was simple to do online.

I second this, also with how fast things can go bad I would recommend this product. : https://www.acrartex.com/products/c...or-beacons/resqlinkplus/#sthash.RswkIrUA.dpbs
They are tiny and fit very nicely into the zipper pocket of the autoinflate life jackets, so they are always on your person. They have much of the same specifications of EPIRB

Still works if you leave it as US...in fact, they probably have more resources to respond than Canada. Sadly.
It was a while ago now that I tried to register mine in the US, but as I remember, they may have wanted a vessel State Registration as part of the US EPIRB registration, and I didn’t have one, so I had to register it here.

Thanks guys, that was one of the model I looked at. Thanks for the plb tip @tightlines , never considered that.

As I learn and venture out further, I just want to be sure I return home or my family returns home when they are with me. Not very expensive considering it can save your life!

Back