Inexpensive level wind salmon reels

7Deuce

ok honestly I don’t know a damn thing about level winds that aren’t used for Hali fishing. But I’m fishing with my kids (8&6) more and more and they struggle with the knuckle busters. I’m trying like hell to keep them interested in fishing. And landing a couple salmon on their own would be huge. Anyone have a few reels kicking around in their garage they’d be interested in parting with for a reasonable amount ?

ok honestly I don’t know a damn thing about level winds that aren’t used for Hali fishing. But I’m fishing with my kids (8&6) more and more and they struggle with the knuckle busters. I’m trying like hell to keep them interested in fishing. And landing a couple salmon on their own would be huge. Anyone have a few reels kicking around in their garage they’d be interested in parting with for a reasonable amount ?
Shimano Tr200's . I use them all the time for kids and old folks

Islander make a reel (the ARMR2) that works/looks like a knuckle duster but does not require the same skill level moving back and forth between the retrieve and palming positions and provides similar function to a level wind. They are kind of half way between a knuckle duster and a level wind. Like all Islanders they are not inexpensive, but they won't dust you.

I have found that with younger children, it sometimes helps to put your finger under the rod to take a little of the downward pressure off it when they start getting tired and have trouble keeping the rod tip up.

https://www.islander.com/product-category/troll/

Last edited:
I am one of the few guys out there that don’t like/use islander reels. Not trying to start an Internet war because I know most guys love them but those reels are not for me...

Also, the issue with my kids isn’t the knuckle dusting. They catch on pretty quickly after getting hammered a couple times. The problem is they run out of gas with no gearing advantage. If the fish swims at the boat it’s game over.

The Penn 209 is the old standby still works as well as ever just a bit slow easy to work on/up grade if you're into that.

1285654_209_IS

The Shimano 2000 series as offered are a bit large really you don't need anything larger than a Charter Special 1000-which is what I use now.

FWIW I used Abu Garcia 6500's for years until they wore out and they were fine no need for a larger reel especially for kids 6500's they have lots of drag to handle a Salmon.

Not to dissuade you from a level wind but have you considered a 6" Peetz? You get a decent retrieve rate with the larger arbour and you can get them outfitted with a one way drag system. You can usually find a used one for $35-$50 and Peetz will upgrade the drag system for $99. They also do complete reel restoration. I have had several redone. They do great work.

I picked up a Penn Squall 20 some months ago and really like it. They often drop in price on amazon.ca down to about $110.00 CA.

Someone also mentioned the Abu Garcia 6500 (C3). I also have 2 of these and caught salmon in the salt and in the rivers with these reels. These are usually around $150.00 but also can be found on sale for around $100.00.

I learned on a old peetz trust after a few times they will learn. you would think kids now a days with all the video games they play would be able to keep up.... As my dad would say yelling at me TOUGHEN UP BOY !!!!!!!!

I learned on a old peetz trust after a few times they will learn. you would think kids now a days with all the video games they play would be able to keep up.... As my dad would say yelling at me TOUGHEN UP BOY !!!!!!!!
Ha ha. Yes, I learned on a Peetz, so did my boys and my wife. I almost always have one Peetz in the water. They restore real nice and get a lot of comments. I especially enjoy watching friends who don't have a lot of experience get smacked the first time. Ahhh the simple pleasures.

+3 on Abu 6500. If you can find older used ones (made in Sweden) even better. Easy to replace wear items for super cheap as well.

Back