Fishing The Salmon Highway - Esperanza

Hi Prarie locked

I've fished the highway countless times. I usually start around the whales tale that's west of the T there's slot of real estate out there but if you troll around the T and walestale you should find bait ,you have to fish deep l start around 165-175 in the morning then drop to 180-200 mid day or so. A good rule is start at 220 then every 20 min come up 20 till you start hitting fish. But the numbers I gave you should work. It's about 18 or so miles out to these spots so make sure your weather and swells are down. If your staying in Esperanza just go fish the guitar or 6 mile bank should do well there in may or 4 mile there just out from Catella island offshore. 6 Mile Is like 130 ft deep so fish off the bottom 20 ft you'll cTch them.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Not sure what the “Web Series” is about exactly, but if it’s an instructional video thing, I don’t think it’s a good idea to give more attention on how to catch bottomfish. They get hammered as it is. Might seem like amazing fishing now if you’re from the prairies, but I’ve seen it go way down from ten years ago. It doesn’t need more pressure.

A lot of people here would be pissed if you talk about specific reefs or structure too. Maybe this is not in your plans - in that case, please disregard.

Not sure what the “Web Series” is about exactly, but if it’s an instructional video thing, I don’t think it’s a good idea to give more attention on how to catch bottomfish. They get hammered as it is. Might seem like amazing fishing now if you’re from the prairies, but I’ve seen it go way down from ten years ago. It doesn’t need more pressure.

A lot of people here would be pissed if you talk about specific reefs or structure too. Maybe this is not in your plans - in that case, please disregard.

So if I'm reading this right, you're saying please don't help other people learn how to catch fish. Hmmmm. Not sure I can agree with this. :(

respectfully,
HB

sounds more like stop sharing specific rock piles on the highway, or please do not share specific rock piles on some kinda web show. kinda like saying.... here the numbers to the potato. then that making its way to a series that makes it even more public and less fishy. in may no need go go further the the guitar, which is a big area with lots of halibut early in the year. billydoo ' advise is good

So if I'm reading this right, you're saying please don't help other people learn how to catch fish. Hmmmm. Not sure I can agree with this. :(

respectfully,
HB
Read it again. I said "BOTTOMFISH".

Salmon move around - go ahead and tell people how to catch em.

ILHG - Try adding some value here. Maybe you don't remember when the boatloads of Americans weren't jigging for lings in Bamfield and you could catch 'em easy. Maybe you're new to fishing and just haven't seen the declines of bottomfish, or the restrictions on halibut size and retention. It keeps getting more restrictive - which is necessary - and mainly due to the increasing pressure on these stocks.

You know I usually wait a day or so before I respond when I read comments such as yours. You just ruined the whole premis of what we were planning. I wanted to put google earth images cross referenced with navionics overhead views and step by step instructions on how to wipe out an area of its precious bottom fish.

It hasn’t even crossed my mind to keep it to fun, instructional, and to do product reviews...so thanks for your input.

Sangstercraft,

please take this and read this from an 'out of respect' kind of perspective of a rebuttal. I've also taken a day to not respond in haste or out of emotion so as not to **** anyone off. Further, I will be following Stizzla's suggestion and I will keep this positive and in perspective and allow you to feel a little more at peace as well.

If you will recall, I stated in the original post "Anything shared via PM will be handled with the strictest of confidence." Perhaps I should have expanded that to include mentioning within this thread as well. This means that nothing more than generic information would have been shared and any detailed information would be kept in confidence. Interestingly, I've only received a single PM to this inquiry. The information contained was no more elusive than has already been shared elsewhere.

I can speak to the professionalism and advocacy of @Waterwolf2230 when it comes to sport fishing. I think we have a lot in common and would like to share some of this in a web series. Speaking of things like conservation, respect for a fishery, proper release techniques, etc. I find too many fishing shows to be nothing but scenery, fish **** and a blood bath. I'd rather you see us release a ton of fish and not witness ridiculous retention. I know I want to be a positive image for this sport.

I don't think the intent is to give more attention on how to catch bottom fish, and if anything, it would be the total opposite of this and be more of how to do it properly if you are going to do it. How about a section on how to best anchor safely?

More importantly, this is more about having fun and about conservation. So on that note, if I have overreacted and read into your post too much, I apologize.

On a positive note, thanks to all of you that have provided some great insight. Thank you very much!

Kevin

I look very forward for what's to come!

This threads been quiet for over a week, just wanted to give it a bump to see if there is any last minute intel we might be able to add to the books.

We leave tomorrow and the plan is to arrive at Zeballos and launch on Friday at the first high tide in the morning.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing what's happening in May . Not many on this board ever go in May.

Prairie locked
I talked with a buddy of mine up there yesterday he putting the lodges together anyways lots of 10-15 lb fish around. I'm sure there in the rocks or offshore 4 mile and such he was fishing brain creek which is outside around maquinna point out of Nootka. If the weather is good I'd concentrate on ferries or the guitar. Good luck

Probably small spoons or hootchies is what he was useing if I know him

Tight lines
Billydoo

Back