Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting if AA actually answered your questions.

At the present rate that DFO is managing fish stocks it will not be long till the only BC Salmon you eat will be from fish farms.

Don’t believe this? Read this. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...f-is-fighting-for-steelhead-and-salmon.69955/

I am still on the dark side, As many of you know I have always said that Land based Fish farms is the future. However we just are not their yet in BC. I have also said I believe that fish farms in densely populated areas like discovery passage may pose a greater risk for virus/disease transmission. However, I dont believe the wild salmon mortality associated with fish farms is anywhere near as high as most on here believe.

Last night I was at a wedding in downtown Vancouver. Wild BC Sockeye salmon was one of the options even checked with the chief to make sure was wild sockeye salmon from BC. So where did this wild bc sockeye salmon come from in the last two years? was it sustainable caught?

Where do we find ourselves now after 10-20 years of a pretty strong advertise campaign to only eat wild salmon? Without this campaign largely funded by Jimmy P and his Friends its likely we would of seen less commercial allocation as people can just get salmon from fish farms. What will happen now that we have gave FN priority access for commercial access to wild salmon?

What does the supply and demand picture look like in BC?

http://aquatactics.com/wp-content/u...s-Perspective-Part-1-by-Dr.-Hugh-Mitchell.pdf

This fuzz is ripe for exploitation and fear-mongering by those with nefarious purposes, especially as the scientific literacy of our society seems to be in decline. This certainly has been the case with the movement to de-market salmon farming. The junk science that has been performed and disseminated has been astounding. Again, to review: true science formulates a hypothetical theory about something in nature and endeavors to test it, shoot it down, and invite others to do the same. Then and only then, is it considered valid (for now) – always with the specter that this model of reality may be eventually proven wrong. Pseudo-science has more of a barrister-type feel. A “Pseudo-scientist” (many activists) generates a hypothetical theory to suit their cause, often ignoring, suppressing and dismissing past or current research that doesn’t support their theories. They get protective of this theory and discourage others from trying to duplicate their “research,” often launching personal attacks on those that voice contradictory information.

Last edited:
http://aquatactics.com/wp-content/u...s-Perspective-Part-1-by-Dr.-Hugh-Mitchell.pdf

One of the most outlandish pieces of bad science to come out which was clearly aimed at denigrating the wholesomeness of farmed salmon precipitated headlines such as: “Study in Science shows PCB levels in farmed salmon 10X higher than wild salmon” (Hites, et. 2004). The bias exhibited by this paper was so astounding that this writer has used it to illustrate to students how peer-reviewed does not mean “gospel” and how pseudo-science masquerading as science can be flagrantly misused. In short, the PCB values in the paper for the farmed salmon sampled were not different and in accordance with historical levels of both farmed and wild salmon from previous research. All levels were orders of magnitude under the level set by the FDA (not referenced in the Hites paper). This paper’s wild salmon levels were extraordinarily low because the authors biased the samples to include a disproportionate amount of returning pink and chum from Northern Alaska – lower in PCB’s because of their lower fat content and more planktivorous diet than wild Chinook and Coho. Other aspects of how the paper was written and presented showed a clear bias against farmed salmon. The media blitz accompanying this “Note” was also curious.

Thanks for the link.
Even a small amount of risk from the spread of PRV, compounded with the other stressors our wild fish populations face, has the potential to bring about disastrous consequences to already imperiled wild salmon and steelhead. Due to this concern, a measured and precautionary approach dictates that state agencies must err heavily on the side of caution.

The burden of proof that PRV does not cause harm to wild fish does not rest on wild fish. The burden of proof, rather, lies squarely with the Atlantic salmon net pen industry and regulatory state agencies. This burden has yet to be shouldered by the industry and its defenders.

And please explain the demise of the Skeena Salmon?

Thanks for the link.
Even a small amount of risk from the spread of PRV, compounded with the other stressors our wild fish populations face, has the potential to bring about disastrous consequences to already imperiled wild salmon and steelhead. Due to this concern, a measured and precautionary approach dictates that state agencies must err heavily on the side of caution.

The burden of proof that PRV does not cause harm to wild fish does not rest on wild fish. The burden of proof, rather, lies squarely with the Atlantic salmon net pen industry and regulatory state agencies. This burden has yet to be shouldered by the industry and its defenders.

And please explain the demise of the Skeena Salmon?

And you can explain the excellent return of Chinook to the Cowichan River last year...all the way back to historic levels.
No Fish Farms in the Cowichan migratory route could have something to do with it don't you think??
Every river will have it's ups and downs for no end of reasons.
BUT one thing we should all know by now is Open Pen Fish Farms belong on dry land, NOT IN OUR OCEAN.
Old Black Dog, from the posts I read from you, you seem to think Open Net Pen Fish Farms are ok???
Did you watch this video.....what do you think of it??

Do you actually read the post?
The question I asked was please explain the demise of Salmon on the Skeena?

P
And you can explain the excellent return of Chinook to the Cowichan River last year...all the way back to historic levels.
No Fish Farms in the Cowichan migratory route could have something to do with it don't you think??
Every river will have it's ups and downs for no end of reasons.
BUT one thing we should all know by now is Open Pen Fish Farms belong on dry land, NOT IN OUR OCEAN.
Old Black Dog, from the posts I read from you, you seem to think Open Net Pen Fish Farms are ok???
Did you watch this video.....what do you think of it??

Do you actually read the post?
The question I asked was please explain the demise of Salmon on the Skeena?

My answer was "Every river will have it's ups and downs for no end of reasons."
There are also rivers that are doing ok, like the Cowichan last year.
Perhaps this year will be different...who knows?
No doubt Alaska has it's issues as do we. If you have a plan to solve the problem lets hear it.
Because the Skeena River is having issues, do you think this means Fish Farms should be allowed to spread Sea Lice and disease to wild salmon and leave the ocean bottom looking like a waste land as shown in the video above???
My opinion is a good start to giving our wild salmon half a chance would be to get Fish Farms out of the ocean.
It will not be the be all end all to all our problems, but a good start.
Do you agree or disagree?
It's only an opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours.

Demise of Skeena salmon? The netting from the mouth to Moricetown!
The conitinous netting of the kalum hogline?
How many ppl who post about the Skeena actually spend time up there?
Fish farms? How about the 24/7 netting of cedarville?
How many ppl who actually post about the fish farms have actually spent any time on the Skeena,Nass or Fraser systems?
And for the record I am all for fish farms being out of the ocean to dissolve this argument!

Terrin, how many days a year do you spend on the Skeena, Nass or Fraser?
Fogged in, how many days do you spend on the above tribuataires?
Please post your hours on these systems!

Terrin, how many days a year do you spend on the Skeena, Nass or Fraser?
Fogged in, how many days do you spend on the above tribuataires?
Please post your hours on these systems!

I don't understand why how much time I may or may not spend on the Skeena, Nass or Fraser has to do with Fish Farms.
I do understand how you have observed problems on these rivers from your many excellent posts on the subject.
eg..."Whitebuck Active Member
I have been going off about the genocide of in river netting for years. "
The evidence regarding the real threat Open Net Atlantic Fish Farms present to our Wild Salmon and environment is every bit as real as what you have observed on the rivers.

We've had this discussion numerous times, Whitebuck - on this and other threads.

There are numerous impacts on wild stocks - but when the ocean survival rate is in the tank - an additional 1-2% of mortality (from fish farms, sea lice, diseases, etc - or anything else) means the difference between low but stable stock trajectories and numbers dropping precipitously - which we have seen. We can't do much wrt management actions for the drop in ocean survival - except reduce fishing pressure - which has been done. The open net-cage technology is another management action we can affect - but largely HAVE NOT ADDRESSED.

Let me put it back on you Whitebuck - how do you rationalize your assertion that spending time on the Skeena will magically change the fish farm debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back