2018 Sidney Reports

I’m still with ya there bud! I did get a borderline keeper as I was pulling my lines but it wasn’t exciting enough for the net so I grabbed the leader and he shook off. Skunk!

It's the week before the big Derby. With $10,000 up for grabs everyone is tight lipped.
Seen pictures this week of a twenty, and a few nice teeners. I'm not fishing so nothing to hide. Just sworn to keep location secret.

There are fish out there if you work for them. The action isnt bonkers like it is further North, but theyre coming! As Brian said, everyones tight-lipped leading up to the derby. I had a few good teeners on my boat this past week, but I also put a lot of time in. Hope to see many of you out there on derby day!

Haven't done much ocean fishing down here, just wondering what depth's you guys are finding the fish at around Sidney? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not in the derby :p So good luck to you all!

My general rule of thumb is to fish the bottom third of the water column as the fish here eat a lot of sandlance. So if you're fishing in 100ft of water, I start off at 100 and 80' on the rigger. Then move up or down depending on the type of feed.

Not sure if anyone here was planning to fish the Red Can to the Spit on the weekend - but it was nearly impossible... There were literally hundreds of floats in that stretch this morning...it looks kind of out of control...not sure why this year is so insane. Also tons of traps at the Powder wharf this morning too. Saw loads of needlefish there this AM once the tide started ebbing - along with about a dozen seals and a sea lion. Couple of bumps on the jig, but nothing stuck. Fished 7 - 8:30am.

Tell me about it! I torture myself by reading the Vancouver reports and see people filling their boats with teens and 20’s in 10 minutes. I’m going to steal this “Thrasher” place when you’re not looking and plunk it in the Sidney channel.

People from vancouver most actually travel 45 mins -1.5 hours in traffic trailing their boat and then take 45 mins to cruise across from vancouver to Thrasher. You just as close to Thrasher as most people in the Lower Mainland are.

People from vancouver most actually travel 45 mins -1.5 hours in traffic trailing their boat and then take 45 mins to cruise across from vancouver to Thrasher. You just as close to Thrasher as most people in the Lower Mainland are.
Yep! I didn’t even know where that was. Just looked it up and felt like a big tool.

Well i have a friend that fished the Oak Bay flats last weekend and got 6 in 1.5 hrs. Maybe you aren't fishing the right area?

Its like 45 miles by boat to Thrasher from the Sidney ramp, certainly not a short trip. Talked to an american guy who made the run the other day but if youre planning on doing that you better take about 8 jerry cans.

The traps in Sidney Channel are ridiculous, I dont even try and fish there anymore.

Caught twin 13# fish in Sidney today. Beautiful day out there!

Its like 45 miles by boat to Thrasher from the Sidney ramp, certainly not a short trip. Talked to an american guy who made the run the other day but if youre planning on doing that you better take about 8 jerry cans.

That’s why I said specifically trailering your boat as many do each time. It’s not uncomme for most of us lower mainlanders to spend 45min-1.5h in traffic just to get to the boat launch. That’s what us crazy’s do

If you don’t have that ability it’s a totally different story.

Sorry for the derail

The traps in Sidney Channel are ridiculous, I dont even try and fish there anymore.

Caught twin 13# fish in Sidney today. Beautiful day out there!

There is fuel at Silva Bay I believe which is right at Thrasher.

Be sure to post all your secrets after the derby.
I may run out Sunday assuming everyone is fished out and it will be quite out there.

Good luck all!

Back