Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! another nail in the open net-pen fish farm coffin. The more this industry is looked at the more we learn of it's destructive behaviour and deceitful practices.

Open net-pen industry and apologists have made a lot of false claims over the years and one by one they are being proven as lies
ie.
"Fish farms don't pollute" - Actually, ya they do. And in a lot of ways
"Sea lice aren't a big issue" - they are a huge issue!! Industry spends a fortune trying to deal with this issue
"Even if lice are present in big numbers, there's no pathogen/virus issues to worry about" - Wrong again, these lice do carry and transfer pathogens to other farmed and wild fish
"HSMI doesn't exist and if it does it's not caused by PRV" - It does exist. It is caused by PRV. Ask Kristi Miller or Brian Riddell.
"There are no diseases in our fish" - SSHI has detected many new pathogens and virus that have never before been discovered, in addition to detecting PRV, HSMI and many other known and potentially fatal pathogens
"Even if there are diseases we deal with them and they don't transfer to wild fish" - See the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative findings to see proof otherwise
"Farmed atlantic salmon don't eat wild fish" Except when video catches them eating juvenile salmon and other wild species

All of these false claims (and many more) have been proved wrong by scientific researchers doing what they do. I can't help but be reminded of the 'god of the gaps' analogy that Neil Tyson references below

The fish farming industry in BC as we know is finally slowly but surely running out of excuses for existing as more and more research continues to be done. One nail a time this industry will hopefully be buried soon and moved on land. The feed will still be an issue once on land but a lot of the pollution/disease issues will be mitigated. It's been a good free ride for them for too long.

Coalition calls for end to open-pen salmon farming in B.C. by 2025
Wild First wants transition to land-based aquaculture
rafferty-baker.jpg

Rafferty Baker · CBC News · Posted: Apr 27, 2018
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-for-end-of-open-pen-salmon-farming-1.4637585

Just watched the video. Ab-so-lute-ly dis-gusting!

The FF industry, their supporters (including DFO and their political masters) should feel ashamed at the pollution and destruction caused to the marine environment by this industry. Time to get these net pens out of the water and onto the land to better manage their harmful impacts - the good thing is - it just a mater of time now!

Last edited:
I'm happy to read the coalition calling for an end to Open Pens by 2025. But I can't help but to think that's like 7 years away! Why 2025? Should not renew leases, and get them out asap. I'm not sure if our fish can handle another 2 cycles swimming past the farms.

I'm happy to read the coalition calling for an end to Open Pens by 2025. But I can't help but to think that's like 7 years away! Why 2025? Should not renew leases, and get them out asap. I'm not sure if our fish can handle another 2 cycles swimming past the farms.
I agree there might not be two cycles left in our wild salmon.

Welcome back from the dark side WMY.

I am still on the dark side, As many of you know I have always said that Land based Fish farms is the future. However we just are not their yet in BC. I have also said I believe that fish farms in densely populated areas like discovery passage may pose a greater risk for virus/disease transmission. However, I dont believe the wild salmon mortality associated with fish farms is anywhere near as high as most on here believe.

Last night I was at a wedding in downtown Vancouver. Wild BC Sockeye salmon was one of the options even checked with the chief to make sure was wild sockeye salmon from BC. So where did this wild bc sockeye salmon come from in the last two years? was it sustainable caught?

Where do we find ourselves now after 10-20 years of a pretty strong advertise campaign to only eat wild salmon? Without this campaign largely funded by Jimmy P and his Friends its likely we would of seen less commercial allocation as people can just get salmon from fish farms. What will happen now that we have gave FN priority access for commercial access to wild salmon?

What does the supply and demand picture look like in BC?

Excellent observations and questions, WMY.

TACs for salmon are set wrt both the PST and the WSP - absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH FISH FARM OUTPUT!

Hope that clears that up for some folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back