Seaquilizers

Busterbrown

I have been using a descending devise for a few years now when off the WCVI. Using a "release rod" has worked ok however it is a lot of work at times. Has anyone rigged a device to their downrigger to release rockfish ? Any ideas you could share would help.Thanks

When I am jigging, I keep a downrigger with ball tucked in to the boat side. Catch rock fish, hook to seaquilizer and to downrigger cable and drop to release fish. Easy and not screwing with another rod.

When I am jigging, I keep a downrigger with ball tucked in to the boat side. Catch rock fish, hook to seaquilizer and to downrigger cable and drop to release fish. Easy and not screwing with another rod.
Yep - THAT!

How fast do you let the downrigger down to release a fish? I am not sure of that part of the fish release.

Cheers
SS

I just started fishing with downriggers. I bought a descender just in case and 2nd time out caught a rockfish. I put the descender through it's lower lip and clipped it to the swivel above the snubber for the downrigger weight. Sent it back down to around 100ft at a steady pace, waited about a minute for it to free itself and brought the rigger back up. Pretty simple solution.

How fast do you let the downrigger down to release a fish? I am not sure of that part of the fish release.

Cheers
SS

the speed should be 1/2 speed of free spool.. I put my thumb on the spool of the rigger to control the speed... in release the cod ect they need to be at least 1/3 to half the depth which they are caught at.. I usually get them to were I caught them .. :)

I was at Harbour Chadler in Nanaimo today. I bought a Seaqualizer, regular they are $79.99 but they are selling them at 20% off as they would like to see everyone get one. I ended up paying $63.99 + tax. Small price to pay to ensure the lowest possible mortality on rockfish when released.

I have been using the seaqualizer for 3 years. Have mine set for max which is 150'. Keep a 5 pound ball on one downrigger when am deep jigging just for release purposes. Let it down push auto up. Has always come up clean and have never seen a floater come back up. At end of day Always release mechanism and fresh water flush... really don't know what happens to fish being released but bound to be better than being sea gull bait..

Would highly recommend...

Back