Bunks or rollers?

Tips Up

Looking to buy a new trailer for my 17.5 Double Eagle.

Have rollers now and like how smooth the boat rolls on and off.
Easy to handle on my own when I have kids with me.
But tired of replacing rollers and parts. Replacing trailer because it is getting old and there are lots of ubolts and parts that are rusted.

Bunks I don't have much experience with but the one boat I had bunks with I recall a lot of friction and having to be deeper in water to launch and retrieve.

What's best for a small fiberglass boat like mine?

Thanks
Tips

Had rollers and was worried about switching to bunks but I did and love it I put p
The pads on the bunks to help the boat slide but it goes on and off smooth. My position was same as yours with the same boat bought a new trailer last year no regrets

I like rollers but there is more maintenance.
I think it depends on the grade of the ramps you will be using.
If you have enough grade and use sliders, bunks are probably fine.
you can buy a combo bunk/roller trailer
Roadrunner make them.

Overkill for your boat, but gives you the idea
RollerBunkCombination-300x200.jpg

I like my bunks, but if you launch on ramps that aren't very steep and have problems with low tide launches you might want rollers. Easier to winch up on the trailer without getting your tires/truck wet (which I refuse to do).

I have an "Easy Loader" trailer with rollers for my 206 DE, zero maintenance for rollers other than rinsing every time,works great.I have side guides also so centering is never a problem,recommend them for sure.

On my previous boat trailer (used for a 17' Malibu Tyee) with bunks I installed "surfix trailer bunk slides" and was very happy with them. They were very slick and never had any problem retrieving the boat. On the manufacturers website they post this "Please remember to keep the bow strap hooked until you are safely in the water."

With bunks on a very steep ramp it can be hard to get the boat winched up to the bow eye. Even with bunk slides. I think a combo of bunks rear rollers forward is the best overall compromise

Currently have all rollers and like them. I have the impression they are more protective of the soft ablative anti-fouling bottom paint than winching them along carpeted bunks which seem to act like big erasers. Downside - they are much more expensive and require some maintenance (grease) and occasional/rare replacement of individual rollers over time.

I also like that when it is on the trailer it is possible to paint the bottom working around the rollers. You can roll the boat on the rollers a couple of inches if you want to get that little bit under the roller contact points. Not sure how that would work with bunks.

Last edited:
On my previous boat trailer (used for a 17' Malibu Tyee) with bunks I installed "surfix trailer bunk slides" and was very happy with them. They were very slick and never had any problem retrieving the boat. On the manufacturers website they post this "Please remember to keep the bow strap hooked until you are safely in the water."

How are those surfix slides on bottom paint? If they don't scrub it off perhaps that could be an answer for boats with soft bottom paint.

All good input. Thanks.

I launch everywhere so good ramps and bad.

Anyone have one of these Roller/Bunk Trailers?

Overkill for your boat, but gives you the idea
RollerBunkCombination-300x200.jpg

Not really. My boats 17’6” and I have the same set up. It’s great, the rollers up front kind of make it “self centering”

I’ve had bunks, rollers and now a combination of both and the combo is by far the best for my set up. Rollers second choice and bunk boards only if I had too. The OP is right, you do have to go deeper to get your boat off boards if you choose that route.

I had a roller trailer with my previous 17.5' boat and it was a problem free system. I could easily launch even if the hull was still above water. Had one roller failure in 12 years, so not a real concern. With new boat I got a bunk trailer and I would gladly go back to rollers. Much more difficult to launch at Esquimalt Anglers on low tides. Took weeks of adjusting and modifying the trailer (adding more bunks) to find the right sit for the boat and to allow self-centering on retrieve. The plastic slip-caps scratch the gel coat of the hull so I got rid of them again. The bunk-carpet needs at least as much maintenance/fixing as the rollers did. The carpet still leaves scratches in gel coat - probably because sand grains and other crap finds its way into the carpet and then rubs on the hull. The only advantage of bunks I see is that on long trailering trips the boat rests more stable and secure.

I have bunks on mine and last few times I out found it difficult to get the boat back on the trailer because of low water. There was a lot of stain on the bow hook. I got some 1/2 inch hockey arena board and screwed that down on the bunk. Smooth and does not scratch the bottom and so much easier to launch and recover my boat. Cost me $20 for the board and another $10 for stainless steel screws and washers.

Looking to buy a new trailer for my 17.5 Double Eagle.

Have rollers now and like how smooth the boat rolls on and off.
Easy to handle on my own when I have kids with me.
But tired of replacing rollers and parts. Replacing trailer because it is getting old and there are lots of ubolts and parts that are rusted.

Bunks I don't have much experience with but the one boat I had bunks with I recall a lot of friction and having to be deeper in water to launch and retrieve.

What's best for a small fiberglass boat like mine?

Thanks
Tips

I wouldn't get bunks for that boat Graham especially where you like to go out of. Your going to be limited on low tides. I am glad Chris 73 finally admitted what I said to him and our other friend when they got bunks. The only advantage I can see is when you do your renfrew trip , but you never really take your boat on long trips. Chris73 knows the disadvantages of rollers on long trips especially with my boat last year on our trip. But again my roller system isn't brand new. I would just replace all the rollers if it was me.

Jarred, my trailer is 1980.
I've replaced the axle, springs and wheels over the last 3 years.
Rollers need replacing but the brackets are getting weak from pounding off the caps on roller axles and brackets are not available. I could have welded but....Lots of rusty Ubolts and caps.
Too much project for me to rebuild.
I'm trying to avoid having a roller or other part break on the road and have metal go through the side of my hull.

Based on my wife getting a new kitchen last fall rather than me getting a new boat, I figure I will be sticking with this boat for a while so may as well step up for a new trailer for piece of mind.

All bunks is off my list now.
Leaning towards the hybrid.

Jarred, my trailer is 1980.
I've replaced the axle, springs and wheels over the last 3 years.
Rollers need replacing but the brackets are getting weak from pounding off the caps on roller axles and brackets are not available. I could have welded but....Lots of rusty Ubolts and caps.
Too much project for me to rebuild.
I'm trying to avoid having a roller or other part break on the road and have metal go through the side of my hull.

Based on my wife getting a new kitchen last fall rather than me getting a new boat, I figure I will be sticking with this boat for a while so may as well step up for a new trailer for piece of mind.

All bunks is off my list now.
Leaning towards the hybrid.
You need a boat more than she needs a new kitchen, lol.

Agree that rollers are superior for low water ramps. My 16 and 17’ boats that were on rollers I could launch and retreive without submerging the trailer axle. No bearing issues :). My current bunk trailer works well but I sure dont like submerging trailer to get it on and off. A very low tide and it wouldnt be coming off without having truck tires off ramp and thats not happening.

I switched my rollers to bunks and am very happy. Boat slides on/off with ease. Main reason I switched was to avoid punching a hole in the hull bouncing down the road to Nootka.

With bunks on a very steep ramp it can be hard to get the boat winched up to the bow eye. Even with bunk slides. I think a combo of bunks rear rollers forward is the best overall compromise
Best of both worlds-- forward rollers, and rear slick bunks (NO CARPET )

Back