2018 Sidney Reports

It snapped just above the joint while I was trying to pop it off the clip to check the gear. It was only a convergence and its already been replaced with a couple techniums!

When I said I liked it, I didn’t mean the broken rod, I meant the 8lber. You will love the techniums

Trolled for 3 hours while the traps soaked near Wain rock. Just two bites, at the exact same moment on both my rods. Managed to land both of them. Bit of a rodeo, lots of fun. Nothing big, an 8 and a 10lb. Nice to put some ink on the new license.
That’s a solid double! Definitely better than the 12” trout sized shakers that I had on the weekend. Nice job!

Trolled for 3 hours while the traps soaked near Wain rock. Just two bites, at the exact same moment on both my rods. Managed to land both of them. Bit of a rodeo, lots of fun. Nothing big, an 8 and a 10lb. Nice to put some ink on the new license.
What area do you work there? I tried it for the first time tonight and fished the ledge around the rock into Deep Cove. I gave it a couple of passes and headed into Samson Narrows. Sounds like I shoulda stuck it out at Wain, cuz I got no love in the Narrows.

How did you do for prawns

Sorry to hear about your prawning happy about the salmon however.
If you had done well on the prawning I was going to move up repowering so I will stick with the plan and just trout fish until the summer.
55 years ago I fished bluebacks at Wain rock and I remember the limit was too generous that’s why we don’t have that run anymore
Please excuse the reminisce
Tom

Hello Everyone,
A new member here since the meeting a while ago discussing possible closures. Wondering, have been reading the posts and looking for information of where to fish out of Sidney. I see spots like Wain, Red/Can, Coal.........Can anyone shed some light on just where these places are and some local intel to help a new member? Would sure appreciate it :)

I pulled a small one out of Coal on Sunday morning, about 7 lbs on an AP sandlance. Lost a good one on the bait side as well.

Hello Everyone,
A new member here since the meeting a while ago discussing possible closures. Wondering, have been reading the posts and looking for information of where to fish out of Sidney. I see spots like Wain, Red/Can, Coal.........Can anyone shed some light on just where these places are and some local intel to help a new member? Would sure appreciate it :)
Pick up a Sidney Anglers tidebook. Its got all sorts of good info regarding that kind of stuff.

Red can is pretty easy go out from Tulista boat ramp towards Sidney spit and the marker is on your right towards James island if you grab one of the Sidney tide table books from capital iron or Sidney hardware it will give you distances and directions to coal it's not far maybe 3 or 4 k from ramp

Hello Everyone,
No. ;)

Hello Everyone,

In all seriousness:

Sidney Spit is a consistent producer for me from about 500M north of the point to about 500 south of the point. Beware the gunk/grass on a flood tide and this area is DANGEROUS for submerged traps - be very aware of any slippage in your downriggers.

Coal Island: North-east corner is a very hungry reef that holds good fish (and many cannonballs). From there troll along shore, then across to the small islets, then back to the reef (kind of a trapezoid shape)

In all seriousness:

Sidney Spit is a consistent producer for me from about 500M north of the point to about 500 south of the point. Beware the gunk/grass on a flood tide and this area is DANGEROUS for submerged traps - be very aware of any slippage in your downriggers.

Coal Island: North-east corner is a very hungry reef that holds good fish (and many cannonballs). From there troll along shore, then across to the small islets, then back to the reef (kind of a trapezoid shape)

Thank you!

Back