2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hey Andrew, I saw you fishing Nootka on Nice Fish the other day, way to go!

Any bets on a Columbia 50 pd Spring this year in May?

Seems every couple of years there is a run of big Columbia Springs going by on the outside that stop to feed at Bajo some time in early May. I have seen pictures of these transients, some in the 50 pd class. Very distinctive stubby heads.

Trouble is, the weather is what rules out there, and then it is pure chance and timing.

I did not see anything posted about a big Spring caught in May last year, so with a bit of luck there should be at least one big fish if the weather holds out and the feed is in close this year.

Drewski

From the head tags from friends who have turned in the heads from clipped early fish, they were Columbian hatchery fish, but they did not mention more detail than that.

These were not the big fish, just the usual hatchery size 3 - 4 year fish. But it is the same area and time that the big fish have traditionally been caught.

Maybe Snake River, maybe Hanford Reach, but go back on Facebook and this site, and there have been big fish caught at this time of year in the Nootka Sound Tofino area in past years.

Drewski

I can’t wait to get up there. Normally I would have a white meat fish trip by now but working 91 hours a week is keeping me from fishing right now. Any prawn reports? Hope they make a good come back.

Last May 10-15 we fished Esperanza/Kyuquot. The bottom fishing was spectacular. I wasn’t even considering that there would be a run on salmon offshore but there were 4-5 commies trolling in about 200-250’ back and forth and they were catching.

We leave May 10 again, only this year we will be more prepared! Get to try all these awesome new plugs of mine!

Last May 10-15 we fished Esperanza/Kyuquot. The bottom fishing was spectacular. I wasn’t even considering that there would be a run on salmon offshore but there were 4-5 commies trolling in about 200-250’ back and forth and they were catching.

We leave May 10 again, only this year we will be more prepared! Get to try all these awesome new plugs of mine!
The commies are already getting them.

A native buddy is averaging 30 a day most of them are 15 lbs dressed and a bit bigger but no tyees yet

Back