Review backs B.C.'s fish farm science, dismisses minister's concerns

Birdsnest

http://vancouversun.com/news/politi...ish-farm-science-dismisses-ministers-concerns

VICTORIA — An independent review of a B.C. government scientific laboratory for its work on farmed fish concluded Thursday it was operating at a high standard, without any conflicts of interest among its scientists.

The review dismissed concerns raised by Agriculture Minister Lana Popham, who had at first targeted a specific ministry scientist who is disliked by environmental and First Nations activists opposed to open-pen ocean fish farms.

The reviews by Premier John Horgan’s deputy minister, Don Wright, and the independent consulting firm Deloitte, failed to back up any of the minister’s concerns and instead gave the Animal Health Centre in Abbotsford a clean bill of health.

“I am satisfied that the Animal Health Centre operates with strong professional, scientific and ethical integrity,” Wright wrote. “My review process found no evidence of ‘dubious data or conflict of interest.’”

Wright added he was “impressed with the professionalism, the attention to quality control and the dedication to good science that I observed during my visit.” ....

Published on: March 15, 2018
I find it very surprising Birdsnest who is a frequent poster on this forum would choose to post this when there is so much current information in the news.
Have you looked at the Fish Farm Thread lately Birdsnest?
Your thoughts on some of those post would be of interest.
Your post is OLD NEWS and has been posted before!
Perhaps Admin will delete it as he as done so before when news is repeated.

Published on: March 15, 2018
I find it very surprising Birdsnest who is a frequent poster on this forum would choose to post this when there is so much current information in the news.
Have you looked at the Fish Farm Thread lately Birdsnest?
Your thoughts on some of those post would be of interest.
Your post is OLD NEWS and has been posted before!
Perhaps Admin will delete it as he as done so before when news is repeated.

Thanks so much for responding to my post FI. If you took the time to search the link to the post in the forum you will quickly arrive to the conclusion that it is not a repost as far as the link is concerned. To say that it is "old news" lol, well 4 weeks ago is hardly old news seeing the story is about a VERY recent review of bc salmon aquaculture science where
"An independent review of a B.C. government scientific laboratory for its work on farmed fish concluded Thursday it was operating at a high standard, without any conflicts of interest among its scientists.".
It is no surprise to me that you try to make my post about me instead of going at the article in the post and proving it is wrong. If I didn't post it someone else would have so you may as well participate from an angle of the content of the article and leave me out of it.
From what I understand on this forum you can post a little, a lot, or not at all. I don't think its reasonable to complain about a post as a repost when it is not and proceed to go after the poster and ignore the content of the article.

Great contribution to the subject Dave!

Seawest is a news outlet created by Fish Farms. It's junk as far as I'm concerned. I've read some of the articles....

Seawest is a news outlet created by Fish Farms. It's junk as far as I'm concerned. I've read some of the articles....

That may be your opinion on the source however can you challenge the content of the article or articles. By all means if there is content in that article that is false wrong or misleading point it out. Prove it! Make that the content in of your post other wise you have not backed up you opinion. Saying something is "junk" is only an example of a lack of ability or knowledge to defend your position which goes entirely against why you made your post.

Lets not forget the review in question is something activists BEGGED for and have not effectively disputed the results.

Its junk. Totally biased. Its written by people who receive pay cheques from salmon farms. I wont be wasting any of my time on it.
If you have peer reviewed science, then sure, I'll read it. But Seawest is not a reputable source, sorry. I'm reading the Dereck Sanderson book right now, and I'd rather put my efforts into that book, much more interesting, plus its non-fiction.

I found Dawson's diatribe kinda humorous in a strange sort of hippo-critic way - especially when he attempts to de-legitimize FF critics by calling them: "eco-militants armed with foreign cash" while attempting to protect foreign multinational Norwegian interests from getting called on their impacts. The PR firms must be getting desperate...

Remember science is only good if it agrees with you.
Otherwise you must attack everything but the facts in the article.
Greens have been using this for years.
Liberal government still doing it.

Back