Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a given some farms will be relocated into areas where the local FN want them .. good business for all parties.

So what does this "news" mean?
Abso-fn-lutely nothing..
Next
Just released....
"It's a moment to celebrate! Local representatives from communities on Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast voted NO to open net-pen fish farms and YES to protecting wild salmon at the Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities convention today.
This is a major win! Now these resolutions have been accepted by the AVICC, they can be brought forward at the Union of B.C. Municipalities to be voted on by all municipalities in the Province.
This sends a huge message to the province and the feds that coastal communities value our wild salmon and the sustenance and jobs they provide.
Down in Washington, Atlantic salmon farms have now been banned, leaving B.C. as the last place on the west coast of North America that allows open net-pen fish farms. But the farms are still out there spreading viruses and parasites to the millions of vulnerable young salmon now swimming past them on their way out to sea. "

hope Admin does not call this a repost like the 50 chefs speaking out on Farmed Salmon.
it's official
no doubt when it hits the media, it will be posted again...but some think, probably rightfully so ,it all amount to a tinkers damn, but it does all add up and we have momentum on our side....even though Dave says...
" Dave Well-Known Member
I think it's a given some farms will be relocated into areas where the local FN want them .. good business for all parties. "

It's all about business eh Dave...not what the impact may be on our wild salmon.

Last edited:
Just released....
"It's a moment to celebrate! Local representatives from communities on Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast voted NO to open net-pen fish farms and YES to protecting wild salmon at the Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities convention today.
This is a major win! Now these resolutions have been accepted by the AVICC, they can be brought forward at the Union of B.C. Municipalities to be voted on by all municipalities in the Province.
This sends a huge message to the province and the feds that coastal communities value our wild salmon and the sustenance and jobs they provide.
Down in Washington, Atlantic salmon farms have now been banned, leaving B.C. as the last place on the west coast of North America that allows open net-pen fish farms. But the farms are still out there spreading viruses and parasites to the millions of vulnerable young salmon now swimming past them on their way out to sea. "

hope Admin does not call this a repost like the 50 chefs speaking out on Farmed Salmon.
it's official

no doubt when it hits the media, it will be posted again...but some think, probably rightfully so ,it all amount to a tinkers damn, but it does all add up and we have momentum on our side....even though Dave says...
" Dave Well-Known Member
I think it's a given some farms will be relocated into areas where the local FN want them .. good business for all parties. "

It's all about business eh Dave...not what the impact may be on our wild salmon.
This is indeed great news Fogged In, and it shows the tide is slowly turning. Attitudes and assumptions take a long time to change especially in the conservation area. It was only a couple of generations ago that it was thought salmon and other wildlife were inexhaustible, and the idea of any conservation measures or regulations were anathema. It was thought we could not possibly affect the climate or pollute the oceans, now we have the highest CO2 levels in over 400,000 years, acidified oceans and millions of tons of plastics floating around out there. Fish feed lots have an impact that is much more subtle, working as it does on the biological level, and at the level of evolution of microscopic pathogens in a natural environment of hundreds of thousands of interactions that we only dimly understand. Gaining wisdom is hard for humans and takes a long time.............

From Watershed Watch…..
“Last week I had an incredible trip visiting important allies in the fight for our wild salmon. I spent several days talking with First Nations Chiefs, councillors and community leaders. I heard incredible stories and impassioned people that have witnessed baby wild salmon being gobbled up by Atlantic salmon in the farms.
It was an important trip for me. Sometimes I get tunnel vision and spend too much time in front of a computer. It reminded me of the immense strength of people up and down this coast, fighting for our wild salmon with unwavering resolve. It was inspiring.
Now it is time to kick butt. We at Watershed Watch have been planning a new strategy with some of our allies and we want you to be among the first to hear about it.
Today we will officially launch a Declaration in Defence of Wild Salmon
The provincial leases for 18 fish farms in the Broughton Archipelago run out in June, 2018. We need everyone that cares about wild salmon to sign the Declaration and stand strong with our provincial government and ensure they don't renew these provincial licences.
The Declaration in Defence of Wild Salmon isn’t about us. It’s about all the heroes fighting for wild salmon across our province. It’s about people like you. It’s about all of us joining together to finally rid our waters of disease-ridden fish farms.
Many prominent business leaders, indigenous leaders, academics and others have already endorsed the declaration.
We’re going to be pushing this initiative for the next several months up until the June deadline. Please join the Facebook group, sign the Declaration and share with your networks.”
Stan Proboszcz

I think you will be able to sign the petition thru this link if you cannot thru the message
https://www.safesalmon.ca/?utm_sour...460103633&mc_cid=eec26fb1fc&mc_eid=72b301a8fa

Last edited:
I saw this too Fogged In. It has been signed by the BC Federation of Fly Fishers, and the angling writer DC Dennis Reid among others. The tide is indeed slowly turning........!

Could someone remind me again on how many fish farms there are in the bering sea and the gulf of alaska? Oh and guess where some Fraser Sockeye spend the majority of their life!

Something’s happening in the ocean

“Smolt abundance is relatively stable for the Taku River,” Richards said.

What’s dropped is the number of returning salmon. For the period previous to 2007, about 4 percent of outgoing juvenile salmon returned to the Taku River as adults. That’s dropped to an average of a little less than 2 percent since then.

This tells managers that more Taku Chinook salmon are dying in the ocean than had been previously. For Taku kings, this mortaility is probably occuring in the Gulf of Alaska and Bering Sea, where they spend most of their adult lives.

While ADFG knows where salmon are suffering, they don’t know when or why. They are somewhat confident that it’s a problem with early marine mortality, that young king salmon aren’t making it past their first years in the ocean, a problem which could be related to the availability of food.

http://juneauempire.com/local/news/...-fishermen-need-know-about-king-salmon-crisis

Climate Science Explains Why Fishermen On 'Deadliest Catch' Struggled To Find Crabs

It is clear that there is a warming trend in recent decades that is likely a combination of natural variability and anthropogenic contributions to warming. A 2015 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences noted that climate variability in the North Pacific has slowed down over the past century. They noted that because fluctuations have become less frequent and longer-lived, the ecosystem (and crabs) have become more vulnerable to large magnitude abrupt events.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marsha...t-catch-struggled-to-find-crabs/#1ba10ab444b1

GOA Pacific cod allocations hacked 80 percent after massive stock decline

"“That warm anomaly went all the way down to 300 meters. So, there was no place these cod really could go that they weren’t encountering these warmer temperatures,” Barbeaux explained.

Warm water boosts the metabolism of cod and other marine life, causing them to eat more. Increased demand on the food supply led to smaller fish, making cod more susceptible to predation and environmental factors. Warm temperatures were also tough on juvenile cod and stocks are expected to continue declining."

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2017/1...acked-80-percent-after-massive-stock-decline/

Some more MAJOR findings coming out of PSF's Strategic Salmon Health Initiative to the public within the next few weeks. Spoiler Alert: It is NOT good for those who have been defending the open net pen fish farms

https://marinesurvivalproject.com/research_activity/list/disease-health/

I'm not sure where this info will be posted (perhaps at the website above?) but I will make sure it finds its way on this forum once it is public as my research contact will keep me posted.

Some more MAJOR findings coming out of PSF's Strategic Salmon Health Initiative to the public within the next few weeks. Spoiler Alert: It is NOT good for those who have been defending the open net pen fish farms

https://marinesurvivalproject.com/research_activity/list/disease-health/

I'm not sure where this info will be posted (perhaps at the website above?) but I will make sure it finds its way on this forum once it is public as my research contact will keep me posted.

Thanks Tincan for the update most of us have been following Strategic Salmon Health Initiative for years. Most of the research has already been made public for those who know where to look. Most of us already expect fish farms will be removed in areas like the Discovery passage.

You bet. I've been following along as well and while the confirmed/published research findings are available to the public there is much more still being worked on. Like any research, the more they dig into it the more they find.... including some unexpected results and unexpected paths to be taken down. That's why, IMO, basic science is so important. Anyways, stayed tuned as there will be more to come.

Thanks Tincan for the update most of us have been following Strategic Salmon Health Initiative for years. Most of the research has already been made public for those who know where to look. Most of us already expect fish farms will be removed in areas like the Discovery passage.

WOW
the links above posted by Agentaqua are BIG NEWS.
Please take the time to open and read them!!!
Will watch with great interest to see the thoughts of the Fish Farm guys and other members regarding the news stories and the Auditor's report.

I have a couple questions

It says they spread infectious disease, foggin what disease are the farms spreading? I mean there is studies on this.... Right?

Guys down south have moved on from Fish Farms and now are looking at hatcheries.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2018/apr/23/study-traces-ihnv-virus-in-salmon/

Study traces IHNV virus in salmon
Scientists discover how deadly disease infects hatchery fish

"The disease has likely been around for thousands of years, but fishery managers struggled to understand how it got into hatcheries, which are highly controlled environments. Scientists suspected adult fish swimming through the same waters used by hatcheries to raise juveniles were the likely cause of infections. But the size of the river, combined with all the different issues influencing water quality — birds landing in the water, boats from different waterways, heat waves — all made it hard for scientists to definitively single out one or two variables to test, that is, until they incorporated some innovative statistics."

hmmm? kristi miller where are you????

I'm glad that its being looked at. Removing one problem at a time is how success will be reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back