Fished 8:30am till 12 noon today. Started out OKish with a small chop due to SE wind as predicted by BWD but got steadily worse as the morning advanced. OK going west past the Bluffs but not so much fun going back east!!

Got no hits for the entire morning either so we started to pack up at noon. I picked up the lure side to retrieve and at that moment the herring side went off. Dropped the first rod and brought in a little 4lb hatchery fish in the big chop identical to the two last week. Did not want to tempt the gods of fortune, so did not even drop the bait again, but headed in as planned.

The 4’’ previously frozen herring in a green glo teaser was at 130’ on the rigger in 125’ of water. (P.S. I have tried brining herrings we have scooped and left some as is. I have come to the conclusion brine and salt “burns” herring somewhat, especially in the stomach area where they go very thin. This means they absorb water rapidly and blow out in only about 15 mins. The fresh frozen ones last 30-45 minutes just fine and stay shinier too.)

At the Sunny Shores dock we were met by the DFO and they checked everything out. As we had left literally minutes after we caught the fish, we had not had a moment to put it on my license yet. Got told off for that!:confused:

First 6 years fishing in Sooke never saw the DFO, now three times in one year!! Twice on the water in RCMP boat and now once on the dock. Weird.o_O

Fished 8:30am till 12 noon today. Started out OKish with a small chop due to SE wind as predicted by BWD but got steadily worse as the morning advanced. OK going west past the Bluffs but not so much fun going back east!!

Got no hits for the entire morning either so we started to pack up at noon. I picked up the lure side to retrieve and at that moment the herring side went off. Dropped the first rod and brought in a little 4lb hatchery fish in the big chop identical to the two last week. Did not want to tempt the gods of fortune, so did not even drop the bait again, but headed in as planned.

The 4’’ previously frozen herring in a green glo teaser was at 130’ on the rigger in 125’ of water. (P.S. I have tried brining herrings we have scooped and left some as is. I have come to the conclusion brine and salt “burns” herring somewhat, especially in the stomach area where they go very thin. This means they absorb water rapidly and blow out in only about 15 mins. The fresh frozen ones last 30-45 minutes just fine and stay shinier too.)

At the Sunny Shores dock we were met by the DFO and they checked everything out. As we had left literally minutes after we caught the fish, we had not had a moment to put it on my license yet. Got told off for that!:confused:

First 6 years fishing in Sooke never saw the DFO, now three times in one year!! Twice on the water in RCMP boat and now once on the dock. Weird.o_O
Good you got checked . Me= 4 times on the water in last 40 years but 3 of those were in the last 3 years. Got written up for dead flashlight battery and no boat registration last time but all is good. just a warning. I want them to check and be on the water more. There are too many knobs on the water drifting in and out of closed rockfish areas and pretending they don,t know.

Sorry for the late report guys. Went out on Friday morning to do some Butt fishing out west. Only got one big skate around 20-lbs or so. Pulled the hook out and let him go...

Had a nice a morning bite from 0830-1030 on friday. Lots of action and kept a few for my buddy, but the poor guy had to see a couple nice wild teens get released. Nice solid fish, good to see the rod bend like that again. White nano jughead did the damage, right on bottom. Went out again saturday, got into a few of the small legals, one good hit off the trailer park but didn't make the net. Sloppy out.

Pretty slow off the bluffs today. Couple shakers, one wild right on 67cm. White hootchie on bottom. Didn't see any bait around either. The fuzz was making the rounds as well.

Went out today from 8:30am until 12:30pm to try and get a first entry on the new licenses. But it was not to be. Had one hit after 15 minutes and missed it. Not another touch for the remainder of the session. We tried anchovies, herrings and hootchies from 115 to 135’ across harbour mouth and down to the tin shack. There were about 7 or 8 eight other boats out scattered between Otter point and Secretary and they practically all headed in between 11:00am and noon. So I guess they were all skunked like us,unless they all limited out!!! LOL:)

Bit of a slog for me but it paid off with a good bite in Whirl today. Got into 4 good ones with my smallest being my kept hatchery at 13lbs. Released a couple wild mid-teeners and another that was probably just shy of 20. Green hootchie and skinny g in the bottom 30’.

Bit of a slog for me but it paid off with a good bite in Whirl today. Got into 4 good ones with my smallest being my kept hatchery at 13lbs. Released a couple wild mid-teeners and another that was probably just shy of 20. Green hootchie and skinny g in the bottom 30’.
Obviously we should have gone to Whirl. That is quite a catch for Winter/Early Spring. I almost never get days like that in the summer!!

Obviously we should have gone to Whirl. That is quite a catch for Winter/Early Spring. I almost never get days like that in the summer!!

I launched in Sooke but the hard ebb made it nasty outside of the spit for me. Went about 300yards then turned around. Of all the times I've fished outta there, that's only the 2nd time I've turned around. Ran over and launched again at Cheanuh. Right place right time.

Was out off of Pedder yesterday. We anchored from 8:30 until 2pm. 2 big dogs and a ratfish. Another 8 or 10 boats in the general area but don't know how they made out. Trolled in the bay from 3-5pm. Not one hit. Didn't see any action from the other 3 or 4 boats around us. Great day on the water though.

Fished for halibut today out front of Sooke....No Love for me....Fist thing in the morning saw a pod of killer whales off the Sooke Buff's ....Slowed the boat and gave them a wide berth. It looked to me that they were feeding, they where swimming in circles and coming out of water.
Nice day over all, better than working !!!.

I'm heading to Sooke for couple of days of fishing the area for my first time early August. I understand that it is generally Chinook fishery at that time of year, but I'm wondering about other species. Should the Fraser Sockeye be hanging around at all during that time? How about ling cod?

Early August tends to come after May 1st so I think hell be alright!

I'm heading to Sooke for couple of days of fishing the area for my first time early August. I understand that it is generally Chinook fishery at that time of year, but I'm wondering about other species. Should the Fraser Sockeye be hanging around at all during that time? How about ling cod?
One little tip I can give to people that are fishing a new area OR an area you haven’t fished in a while, is to go to the the archived saltwater reports (just below the saltwater reports) and go to the time period that is of importance to you. I just checked out the 2017 reports for you and I’d say start on page 16. There is a nice pic of a lunker on that page too! Plus, it was my late brother’s birthday. R.I.P Jason.

Thanks for the tip Sizzla. I started looking at the 2014 thread for last sockeye cycle. It opened August 1 and people were out there targeting them with mixed results. Nothing about lings. I like the idea of dreaming into other opportunities for once we're tubbed out on springs at 8 am. :);)

Anyone got recents reports or suggestions? Coming down island for the day tomorrow. Plan is to fish salmon in the morning either secretary or the trailer park (haven't decided yet) and then anchor up out front later in the day

Made it out today got one 7-8lbs hatchery off otter today, released a couple smaller fish and lost 2. Was a small bite window around 11. Anchored up for hali for a short while and had no luck, stopped to grab the crab traps on the way in and got our 2 person limit so that was a nice little bonus. Beautiful day on the water!

Back