Bragging Rights Photo Op

Don’t have any pics of my big ones handy but here’s a 56lber from a couple years ago my buddy hooked into. Mid afternoon after a terrible morning of fishing. After a 45 minute fight I had to hand him the net off my boat to land it. To top it off it was that woman’s fish Chinook she’d ever caught. It was caught on a naked herring

Don’t have any pics of my big ones handy but here’s a 56lber from a couple years ago my buddy hooked into. Mid afternoon after a terrible morning of fishing. After a 45 minute fight I had to hand him the net off my boat to land it. To top it off it was that woman’s fish Chinook she’d ever caught. It was caught on a naked herring

I wish you heard my yelling last summer when I wanted you to help me net that big one I lost at Pender! You’re a better guide than a friend. It wasn’t 56 lbs big at least ;)

Last fall I traded in my 13' Boston Whaler and bought a new 18' Kingfisher. I was just jumping at the bit to get out and fish. I quickly threw on my new sounder and D/R and waited for the weekend. Of course there was a Strong Wind Warning but the weather reports said that by noon Sunday the Strong Wind Warn would be done. Got the boat in the water about 11 am and head out the North Arm. It was pretty lumpy still but I thought if we could get the harbor it should be ok. We get to the Bell Buoy and I thought maybe we should turn back because it didn't seem like the chop would die down. I thought maybe we should troll back so I started getting the rods ready. I was looking down to start tying up the first rod and sure enough I started getting motion sick. I was able to put the first rod down I then I said Fu*k it I'm done. I was thinking I just made a $35K mistake.

Just then the water started to calm down and we were able to troll for about 3 hours. We caught a couple of shakers and a dogfish. We were on our last tack then it was back to the dock. I looked at the rod and it was moving kind of funny I thought another shaker. I took the rod out of the holder and set the hook and started reeling in. There was no pull or runs so I told my buddy to take the rod and bring it in. This fish didn't fight at all. I go grab the net still thinking it was a small fish. I netted the fish and then start to pull it in the boat and then I realized that this fish had some weight to it. It was almost as tall as my son and it felt like it weighted more then him. :p

IMG_2771.JPG

Biggest of 2017 for me. Last day of the trip, last tack of the day. Noticed the water was super clear when I was dropping gear, so I threw on the purple haze teaser with anchovy, purple uv flasher. Smashed it at 40ft - after three good runs got it in the boat, pulled our gear and left. Nice way to end the trip.

upload_2018-4-12_21-21-5.png

Biggest of 2017 for me. Last day of the trip, last tack of the day. Noticed the water was super clear when I was dropping gear, so I threw on the purple haze teaser with anchovy, purple uv flasher. Smashed it at 40ft - after three good runs got it in the boat, pulled our gear and left. Nice way to end the trip.

View attachment 37360
Great fish. That looks like a sweet boat. Like the bench seating on the back. What boat manufacture is that?

37374-e53758f2d110eff6c69698b22840ff30.jpg
37375-906ac7ecccea9438ff790f1a8fc4f47a.jpg

Here's my biggest! 42.6 right off beachy head a few years back. Thing sounded to the bottom and just stopped there....thought I was caught up in the kelp for about 10 min except every few min i'd feel a small tug or head shake. 20 min later and it slowly let me bring it up. Felt like a piece of plywood/halibut. Hit the surface and then it decided to behave like a Spring! 3-4 huge runs and some acrobatics for another 45 min and she gave up. The chef at my restaurant was impressed....

Attachments

• bigfish.jpg
    bigfish.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 144
  • bigfish2.jpg
    bigfish2.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 147
37374-e53758f2d110eff6c69698b22840ff30.jpg
37375-906ac7ecccea9438ff790f1a8fc4f47a.jpg

Here's my biggest! 42.6 right off beachy head a few years back. Thing sounded to the bottom and just stopped there....thought I was caught up in the kelp for about 10 min except every few min i'd feel a small tug or head shake. 20 min later and it slowly let me bring it up. Felt like a piece of plywood/halibut. Hit the surface and then it decided to behave like a Spring! 3-4 huge runs and some acrobatics for another 45 min and she gave up. The chef at my restaurant was impressed....
Sounds and looked like a terrible day.

Not my biggest, but by far my favorite! Daughters first ever Salmon. I had to hold the rod tip up a few times, but she got the job done.Just off of Comox East Cardinal buoy .

549626_10152330840810176_309645740_n.jpg

My biggest! Kitty hump on a Mint tulip behind a green/gold Betsy. Working on a 6 hour skunk wen my buddy and daughter decided to have fun on a school of pinks. They kept bugging me to change up and join them. I said "Nope someone has to keep dragging the depths for the monster.
I would say it payed off. 36.5lb on tyee marine scale.

1936215_252707245175_1335348_n.jpg

Great thread. Grew up in late 90s going to rivers inlet. Got this 165 pound halibut off the dock at Dawson’s landing. We caught a couple a year over 100 pounds after we realized they were coming into feed.

Attachments

• 4CAB3039-8145-45D9-9EE3-2A72C8DC9753.jpeg
    4CAB3039-8145-45D9-9EE3-2A72C8DC9753.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 259
Back