MR2LA VS MR3 help buying a new reel

Funny how so many fish in the ocean around the world are targeted with multiplier type reels.
I sure wouldn’t want to hook a marlin or large tuna on a single action reel.

While I prefer my MR3 for personal fishing I have a full set of level winds for the beginners, kids, elderly or anyone else that wants to use them. Why force a rookie who’d never caught a salmon before to make his experience even more challenging?

While I prefer my MR3 for personal fishing I have a full set of level winds for the beginners, kids, elderly or anyone else that wants to use them. Why force a rookie who’d never caught a salmon before to make his experience even more challenging?

Fully agree. Have a level wind on hand for the exact same reason.

Funny how so many fish in the ocean around the world are targeted with multiplier type reels.
I sure wouldn’t want to hook a marlin or large tuna on a single action reel.

Thats why islander made the ARMR
:D
Got one just for the sweetie

Okay. I just don't get this whole creep problem everyone seems to have. There's a little nob in the middle of the reel(they all have one) and you just turn it clockwise until the spool stops turning. problem solved!

If the reel is creeping at a normal drag setting with an infinite drag system like on an MR you may be tightening it down a great many turns to get it to the point where it won't creep, especially under heavy load and it will essentially be set at an extremely heavy drag setting. If you hook up a large salmon that wants to run you will be desperately trying to loosen off the drag which will take a lot of turns of the knob and in the mean time you may well loose the fish. Either service the reel and if that does not solve the creep issue, use a Creep Keeper on reels with a cork clutch infinite drag system so that you can set the drag at a correct level without the reel creeping under load. I like the Islanders and they have their advantages such as a buttery smooth drag that will wear down the largest salmon without the salmon pulling the hook.

Last edited:
I have two MR3's. I love them. Yes, they both creep a little, but nothing that getting out of my seat and taking a few winds on the reel doesn't fix. I love the smooth drag and the action when fighting a salmon while using these reels. No regrets!!!

Back