Jigging for Lings

Includes one rigged eel with one extra body. Includes one head and two bodies.
Sizes: 6”, 1-1/2 oz.; 7”, 2-1/3 oz.; 7-1/2”, 3-1/2 oz.; 8", 5 1/3 oz.
Colors: (001)Murdered Out, (011)Real Pearl, (012)Blue Silver, (013)Sandeel, (014)Dirty Silver, (015)Mackerel, (105)Chartreuse White, (526)Green Glow, (627)Pink White, (928)Brown Sandeel

Here's a tip that hasn't been covered: Don't use braided line - a ling's teeth will cut right through it. Use a minimum of 20lb mono.

Ling's are generally super aggressive, but it's possible to spook them. I experimented and put a short 150lb leader on my braid with a heavy barrel swivel, and noticed a dramatic reduction in bites. If you need to tie on a mono leader to your braid, be aware that there is a point where presentation matters, even with these toothy aggressive predators.

I like 8" White Berkley Power Grubs with 8oz jig heads, they work, easy to find, pretty cheap, and they'll last a few fish.

I’d put a live baby kelp greenling up against anything. No trebles needed.:p
Is this legal? I’ve had DFO tell me it’s preferable (no bycatch other than the 1 greenling) and I’ve had DFO say it counts as wasting your catch which is a no-no. Anyone have the inside scoop on this?

I’d think if you count it as one of your fish for the day, whose to say how to use your catch. What grounds would the DFO have to say otherwise.

Is this legal? I’ve had DFO tell me it’s preferable (no bycatch other than the 1 greenling) and I’ve had DFO say it counts as wasting your catch which is a no-no. Anyone have the inside scoop on this?
Not illegal and no worse than using a live herring. just stay within the limit. ( which is 3/day )

Here's a tip that hasn't been covered: Don't use braided line - a ling's teeth will cut right through it. Use a minimum of 20lb mono.

Ling's are generally super aggressive, but it's possible to spook them. I experimented and put a short 150lb leader on my braid with a heavy barrel swivel, and noticed a dramatic reduction in bites. If you need to tie on a mono leader to your braid, be aware that there is a point where presentation matters, even with these toothy aggressive predators.

I like 8" White Berkley Power Grubs with 8oz jig heads, they work, easy to find, pretty cheap, and they'll last a few fish.

How much leader are you tying to your braid?

Lots of benefits to mono leaders as described. I also find the narrower, limper braid will foul/tangle with your jig way more often than If you use a mono leader of 40lbs or more. Also easy to pre tie a half-dozen 18-24” mono leaders with barrel swivel on one end and either clip or free end for direct knot on the other for quicker change outs once leader gets worn or you snag and break-off. Lings live around rock for the most part so leaders will take a beating and you will snag from time to time. Key is to jig “downhill” - less snags and I’ve found Lings really like the drop. As others have said jigging and reeling up 20-30ft from bottom then dropping back down can often trigger a bite.

Folks have mentioned live greenling but live sand dabs are also a great ling bait!

Cheers!

Ukee

I’d put a live baby kelp greenling up against anything. No trebles needed.:p

Not sure if it's confirmed, but as far as i'm concerned live bait in BC is not allowed?
A Bon Chovy guide told me during a trip last year, but haven't found the literature to support/refute it.

Not illegal and no worse than using a live herring. just stay within the limit. ( which is 3/day )

I read through the regs again and I couldn't find anything so there may have been a revision in the language that makes this more clear as the last time I looked into it there seemed to be a minor grey area. I don't want to derail the conversation on technique but I believe the one DFO officer I spoke with last year mentioned using live bait fell under the provision of molesting/intentionally injuring but even that conversation was pretty vague so I don't think it would be too enforceable if you are under your limit. Thanks for the input and back to the more interesting discussion :)

I am afraid the Fisheries Officer you talked to didnt know what he was talking about. Live bait is a no-no in fresh water, but just imagine back when we used livies for mooching salmon ..... first stop in the morning was to a live bait pond......

It's Clear as mud as usual, phone the DFO office in your area and get their ruling on it (make sure you write their name) . Different areas may enforce it differently.

Saltwater

Use of fish for bait

When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish suitable for human consumption. However, you are allowed to use fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine as bait when fishing with traps."

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/finfish-peche-eng.html

Fishing
  • Choose native species for live bait use
  • Do not move live fish and other aquatic organisms from one body of water to another without a permit. It is illegal.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/environmental-environnement/ais-eae/reduce-eng.html

Freshwater

Fin fish…means all fish other than crustaceans, echinoderms, molluscs, shellfish and marine mammals. The use of fin fish (dead or alive) or parts of fin fish other than roe is prohibited throughout the province, with the following exception: You may use the head of fin fish or the headless body of fin fish as bait, only:

" Dead fin fish as bait: only permitted in Region 2 when sport fishing for sturgeon in the Fraser River, Lower Pitt River (CPR bridge upstream to Pitt Lake), LowerHarrison River (Fraser River upstream to Harrison Lake). See page 9 for details."

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1517/fishing_synopsis_2015-17_region2.pdf

There is also lots of things that a legal that DFO officers will shame you for doing

Last edited:
It's Clear as mud as usual, phone the DFO office in your area and get their ruling on it (make sure you write their name) . Different areas may enforce it differently.

I would actually email...it can take a few days to get a reply but at least you have something signed/from DFO and you're not just referencing a name you spoke to.

When I am on my home PC I will email and ask as I have a direct line to someone when I inquired about something last fall.

How much leader are you tying to your braid?

Leader for bottom fishing 65lb braid: 2-5 feet, and cut it down as teeth marks nick the mono. You want the sensitivity of braid, and the tooth resistance of mono. Longer mono leaders are only needed for Salmon where they act like a shock cord, but that's not needed for bottom fishing.

The "FG Knot" is great for this (although it's difficult to tie in the boat). Lots of youtube vids on the FG Knot.

Leader for bottom fishing 65lb braid: 2-5 feet, and cut it down as teeth marks nick the mono. You want the sensitivity of braid, and the tooth resistance of mono. Longer mono leaders are only needed for Salmon where they act like a shock cord, but that's not needed for bottom fishing.

The "FG Knot" is great for this (although it's difficult to tie in the boat). Lots of youtube vids on the FG Knot.
I agree, I usually start with a 6' leader and tie it to a high quality Sampo swivel. As the tooth marks pile up I cut and retie. NEVER use a snap swivel when jigging unless you are drifting a swimbait or your line will pile up on you and foul the hook on the line. Same this when you tie braid directly to a jig. If you are fishing with the line right below the boat and you jig the hooks will hang up on the line. Fluorocarbon is stiff and keep the line and lure from fouling...trust me on this.

Use the lightest braid you feel comfortable with as it does affect the blowback in high current situations. My salmon jigging setup is 30lb braid with 50lb fluorocarbon. Specifically targeting bottom fish on the West Coast I use 65lb Maxcuatro (50lb diameter) and 60lb fluorocarbon. Never had an issue with these. I got my hands on some really high quality Mustad swivels for this season. They seem promising. I also have a Shimano Bobbin on order which will hopefully make beautiful PR knots.

Attachments

• Mustad Swivel.jpg
    Mustad Swivel.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 29
Back