Sky rocketing fuel prices

So yesterday in Delta gas was 151.00. Gas in Duncan this morning in Duncan, Mill Bay is 141.00 on island. Mmmm. +.10 a litre difference and we are on island?

It was a 1.35 in mission and Abbotsford, most of the difference is in taxes. GVRD has high gas tax, Victoria I beleive also has similar taxes,
Not sure what they are in the island and how all the different region are taxed.

Costcos cheap every where even in Hawaii it was the best place to fill up.

Bring on more Costco gas stations! Nanaimo needs one for sure.

Council has voted a Costco station down before. For no apparent reason, but do your research and you can figure out why. One guy owns a ton of Gas Stations in Nanaimo and he fills politicians pockets.

I think they charge whatever they want, they don't need a reason.
Concerned about shipping traffic? Hit trump in the eye and stop his coal train through white rock, or tax the **** out of it. Then Bitumen shipments will be a lesser concern.

Oh, $1.119 in Edmonton, but we still have to warm up are cars for 15 minutes before we drive to bear the temperature

What you guys may, may not understand is that Gasoline prices have a relationship to crude, but they are a different animal. They are separate futures contracts with their own price.

Even with a glut in crude supply, the refineries all seem to be operating at near capacity, so hence the Gasoline price is at the same level it was when Oil was double the price.

Highly doubt Gas stations have the ability to manipulate/collude effectively without the law catching up with them. Especially when that’s a gift for a politician looking to please angry motorists.

just boycott a gas station company. I say start boycotting ESSO gas. I'll start and will not fill up at any Esso Station.

It has been proven that consumer lead boycotts such as targeting gas stations or a certain oil companies have proven never to sustain themselves. For every person boycotting a business, there are hundreds more that will use the service daily. Oil companies have big, deep pockets and can ride out such consumer boycotts. Try it and see how many family members, friends, coworkers etc will join on your crusade for a month and perhaps years, if needed.

What you guys may, may not understand is that Gasoline prices have a relationship to crude, but they are a different animal. They are separate futures contracts with their own price.

Even with a glut in crude supply, the refineries all seem to be operating at near capacity, so hence the Gasoline price is at the same level it was when Oil was double the price.

Highly doubt Gas stations have the ability to manipulate/collude effectively without the law catching up with them. Especially when that’s a gift for a politician looking to please angry motorists.

Funny (not) how those big corporations(not the simple gas station) in the not so distant past used that exact same reason, price of oil going up to record highs, to continue to RAISE the price of a litre of gas..remember last time it hit 1.50ltr?

Raw costs are down by 50%..tell me what other industry would keep their end product to the consumer at the same levels as when it was at record highs?

fk someone farts in the mideast and gas goes up..any reason to hit the consumer..it is like the furry critter issue not one greasy politician will touch the issue.

They can figure out the price fixing of a few cents on a loaf of bread but not fuel?

Crunch time is coming again for the average Jane/Joe with mortgages up the a$$ just as it did when fuel was at these prices before...i feel for the younger kids out there

It has been proven that consumer lead boycotts such as targeting gas stations or a certain oil companies have proven never to sustain themselves. For every person boycotting a business, there are hundreds more that will use the service daily. Oil companies have big, deep pockets and can ride out such consumer boycotts. Try it and see how many family members, friends, coworkers etc will join on your crusade for a month and perhaps years, if needed.

They would be very effective if people would do it. I know its wishful thinking and not going to happen but if the lower mainland got it into there heads to boycott one company you would see a change in the gas prices by said company stations. Would it last nope they would jump back up after people started going back but if it repeated again following a price jump the gas company's would think twice. Do i think it will happen NOPE but instead i see a campaign on facebook talking about boycott filling of gas on april 14th or something what the hell does that do. We all complain about getting screwed and asking the government to step in when they are part of the problem. We have all the power its just a matter of focusing all that power on to some specific targets. Its not like we dont have choices and it isnt hard to boycott one company **** cross the street to the other company offering gas there are multiple gas company's within a block of each other.

We are a capitalist country (mostly). Speak with your wallet if you don't like the price of gas. That's what I did. I use the 250cc bike or electric car now unless I need to move the boat.

The price is what the price is. If it's too high people will eventually start looking at alternatives.

They would be very effective if people would do it. I know its wishful thinking and not going to happen but if the lower mainland got it into there heads to boycott one company you would see a change in the gas prices by said company stations. Would it last nope they would jump back up after people started going back but if it repeated again following a price jump the gas company's would think twice. Do i think it will happen NOPE but instead i see a campaign on facebook talking about boycott filling of gas on april 14th or something what the hell does that do.

Yes, it is time for the yearly Facebook gas boycott chain letters that have been around longer then Facebook...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pain-in-the-gas/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gas-out/

A bit dated (2011) but still relevant in general explanation.
http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/opinion/letters/boycotts-of-gas-stations-don-t-work-1.1238857

Funny (not) how those big corporations(not the simple gas station) in the not so distant past used that exact same reason, price of oil going up to record highs, to continue to RAISE the price of a litre of gas..remember last time it hit 1.50ltr?

Raw costs are down by 50%..tell me what other industry would keep their end product to the consumer at the same levels as when it was at record highs?

fk someone farts in the mideast and gas goes up..any reason to hit the consumer..it is like the furry critter issue not one greasy politician will touch the issue.

They can figure out the price fixing of a few cents on a loaf of bread but not fuel?

Crunch time is coming again for the average Jane/Joe with mortgages up the a$$ just as it did when fuel was at these prices before...i feel for the younger kids out there

What I’m saying is that the price of Gasoline is traded on the floor of the CME the same way wheat, gold, beans and every other commodity we consume is. Oil companies can maybe restrict supply by not opening up more refineries (maybe understandable when you see the hoops they have to jump through), but generally speaking refineries make stupid large profits, like they are now and it makes sense to sell more product.

Then after that on the retail side Gas stations put a margin on at the pump to run the station, that is where we can make a decision as consumers to drive 3 blocks down for gas that is 3c/L cheaper which puts pressure on others to drop their price.

If consumers don’t make these guys compete then of course they see you value convienience more than a lower price and have no drive to be competitive.

I’m sure there is web sites that update with the cheapest prices, use them and let the market do its thing.

Kyoto all over again. In 2003, Kyoto was set to close down all industry, including big Natural Gas users like Cement plants, and some power stations. Oil Refineries and Upgraders shivered in fear, and then reality hit when Australia said it would do nothing that would hurt its economy. Eventually, it fell apart.

Right now the do gooder world leader wanna be's at the UN and in Ottawa are simply setting the stage for another failed agreement. But this time, there is a vested interest in all Governments of the developed World to keep this game going: Easy Tax Money.

It is relatively expensive to administer an Income Tax system, which people can see and feel every increase. It is hard to sell tax increases to the tax paying Public.

But you can always vilify polluters, who are killing the planet anyway, and then punish their bad behavior, on a straight consumptive tax system that is easy to administer. Rationalize it that fuel taxes are for your own good, and who can argue against that?

Alberta started out with a "revenue neutral" system of carbon tax, meaning we will give grants to the green energy converters paid for by the bad energy users, and Government takes nothing for itself. For 2018, the ability to monitor the money has now been lost as it will go to "General Revenue". Will we ever be able to say that all that was collected was properly spent? Will anyone be able to say that the grants did not go to some crony of the Politicians or to fund a pet project in one specific riding? No.

Remember that the only person who can stop the tax grab is the politicians who started the tax grab in the first place. Trouble is there are so many levels of Government in on this, with countless good reasons to spend the tax money on, that the driving public has become the enemy that the Government desperately needs.

What would happen if at the next election this was the front and center issue? Perhaps that is the message to get the Politicians to back down on the tax gouge.

But it will not happen as long as everyone falls for the smoke screen of Climate Change.

Drewski

Outrageous fuel taxes really are a symptom of the disease.

I’m sure there is web sites that update with the cheapest prices, use them and let the market do its thing.

Yes there are websites that show the cheapest. Gas Buddy is most well known. Keep in mind that most gas stations are the same price -or within a few cents of each other, so driving around in attempt to save a few cents, may cost more then what you are trying to save.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Vancouver

Other local prices

Langley
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Langley

Surrey
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Surrey

Burnaby
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Burnaby

West Van
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Coquitlam

Coquitlam
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Coquitlam

Chilliwack
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Chilliwack

Cheapest in BC:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/BC

Yes there are websites that show the cheapest. Gas Buddy is most well known. Keep in mind that most gas stations are the same price -or within a few cents of each other, so driving around in attempt to save a few cents, may cost more then what you are trying to save.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/British Columbia/Vancouver
Not much of a spread there eh? Stay away from Husky though I suppose.

Time to start shopping where they give gas discount vouchers then?

Floater,,I agree with you to a point, and that is, they are indeed a different animal but when oil is probably the "main cost input" in making gasoline it's becomes hard to believe that gasoline should be the same price at the pumps as it was when oil was over $100 a barrel. Doesn't matter if they are operating at near capacity or not,,it matters what all of their different input cost are. If their inputs cost have not changed (or are even lower) and they are operating at maximum capacity with maximum efficiency, then they should be operating at maximum profits. If it was a matter of supply not meeting demand then that's a different story and would obviously drive prices higher but how many lineups have you seen because of a shortage of gasoline.. I have not seen any... The only rush I see is when there is an announcement that the prices are expected to go up again..

A few weeks back, a guest on a business news program noted that there would be an expected drawdown in gasoline storage of approx. 1 million barrels due to a scheduled refinery maintenance outage.(somewhere in the states) He anticipated a 4 to 6 cents per litre increase which did occur as he predicted. A couple of days later, it was announced on the same program that instead of the estimated 1-million barrels of drawdown there was actually a 3 million barrel build. My opinion: don't ever think that all is above board when it comes to the pricing of gasoline.

I think a lot of modern producers are integrated. They own from well head to pump. They have to deliver a certain return, if they can’t make their returns on the raw barrel they’ll make it at the pump. The number of people needed to keep their mouths shut on a fixing conspiracy without thinking about a greedy rogue station owner or politician make that scenario an unlikely one to buy into.

What I’m saying is that the price of Gasoline is traded on the floor of the CME the same way wheat, gold, beans and every other commodity we consume is. Oil companies can maybe restrict supply by not opening up more refineries (maybe understandable when you see the hoops they have to jump through), but generally speaking refineries make stupid large profits, like they are now and it makes sense to sell more product.

This is the point. they are not restricting supply. Over supply is why the price of oil came down.
The fact is once the consumer is used to paying a given price in a relatively small processing industry, there seems to be no incentive for the processor to pass along cuts in raw materials. I am a farmer. I have seen price decreases for Milk, Beef, and Pork on the farm (Yes the price of milk fluctuates at the farm level) but they NEVER go down in the stores.
The raw material prices have been cut in half and no price change. There is no shortage of gas. no gas stations having signs saying sold out. no open one day closed the next. No only so many liters per customer.
Drive up put in as much gas as you can afford to buy. more profits for the refinery cuz there is only a couple and no competition and therefore no natural price correction due to the laws of supply and demand

Back