Pod question 22' 300 hp

Yea thats pretty neat all fiberglass pod. Looks like alot of hours put in to it.
Im kinda liking just the aluminum look so ill use it for my pod. Theres going to be plently of fiberglassing here.
Ive almost got all the soaked transom out by a hammer and chistles. Lots of hours there. Looking forward to fiberglassing everything getting ready for the pod. But it will be worth it come summer.

Main reason of moving the fuel tank back is for the fill tube, sender and vent tube. If i were to leave it where it is, it would be in the excact center of the deck.. tripping hazard n such.. so move it back at least, saves getting new fittings welded but then may get it lengthened for more capacity ... depends on the length of it when it dig it up.
For pods im also looking for one that would benefit speed on the water. Full width pods wouldnt they make for a faster boat? Im just thinking of a back end of a "scarab" style cigarette boat. Just thinking of the getting the most for the motor.

Okay, hang on. We might need to clear up some terminology.

The old Scarab 302, say, was available with a pod (I think Stainless Marine built them but can't remember for sure) and they had a full-width PLATFORM.

Underneath, just going from memory, they were about 1/2-2/3 the width of the hull, with around a 4" step up from the keel. The bottom of the pod would have also been angled upwards to prevent the water from striking it on the tail end. There's got to be pics of one on the internet but I'm medium-sure it was a pretty standard Stainless-type pod.

The platform doesn't have anything to do with the performance obviously; the go-fast aspect is the step which uses the end of the actual hull to separate water from the planing surface, then sets the motor back about 30" from the transom, which lets the motor sit higher and run in less turbulent water. That's the advantage of stepped pods; they're optimized for speed. If your goal is maximum speed you could look at a stepped pod; I don't really know anything about the Sangster hulls but the fact that someone here with experience said they get "chiney" with a stepped pod to me suggests that there's a potential weight distribution issue. I'm not an expert but usually I'd expect a deep V to be pretty resistant to digging chines so if the Sangster has a deep V I wouldn't expect it to dig unless it's porpoising.

OTOH 300hp is a big motor to throw on that thing...maybe porpoising isn't out of the question.

Just my Sunday night, post-15-beers thoughts.

Back