New Scotty Sure Stops

Do these cause a lot more blowback? Also are the regular stopper beads really that ineffective on braid? I've yet to use my new 2106Bs and now y'all have me all worried.

Do these cause a lot more blowback? Also are the regular stopper beads really that ineffective on braid? I've yet to use my new 2106Bs and now y'all have me all worried.
We’ve ever had an issue with the regular stopper beads. We use them when stacking

I haven't noticed any difference with the sure stops as far as blowback. And the beads will slip on braid every once in a while, You just have to pay attention and adjust them. Stacking two beads together helps a little. Do yourself a favor and just get the sure stops.

Anyone answer the blowback? I would assume way more as size compared to 2 red stoppers is substantial. Sometimes my red stoppers slip, but I do use Tuff Line downrigger braid and its half the diameter of the scotty stuff. Red stoppers are cheap, I just replace yearly or when braid cuts channel bigger. I do not have the scotty HP's and know that they are different than my older ones. Can't bump up, causes yelling from buddy who has as he is worried about the loss of 20 lb balls and gear.

HM

I haven't noticed any difference with the sure stops as far as blowback. And the beads will slip on braid every once in a while, You just have to pay attention and adjust them. Stacking two beads together helps a little. Do yourself a favor and just get the sure stops.
I like to stack way up high sometimes but generally 30' up from the bottom rod. Still wondering how these work in that scenario.

We have one stopper bead to trigger the stop, then about 5' down, we have another stopper bead that is on there to stop the release clip from sliding up the braid when your unclipping your line.

Then the sure-stop is 25-30' down from that and the bottom release clip is attached to the tuna cord.

We have one stopper bead to trigger the stop, then about 5' down, we have another stopper bead that is on there to stop the release clip from sliding up the braid when your unclipping your line.

Then the sure-stop is 25-30' down from that and the bottom release clip is attached to the tuna cord.
Right so the sure stops are really just to protect your cannon and for stacking I'm relying on the regular stoppers. Good enough, thanks guys.

I don't use beads to stack on my boat but I like the speed of my 1106's just fine lol. And I install dne torpedo river floats on all my clips I make so if one does pop off you got a chance to turn around and retrieve.

I don't use beads to stack on my boat but I like the speed of my 1106's just fine lol. And I install dne torpedo river floats on all my clips I make so if one does pop off you got a chance to turn around and retrieve.
I was thinking about doing that actually! Great idea. Personally I'm super high strung, anxious and aggressive... I dont like the speed (and the glug-glug-glug-glug o_O) of the 1106's

I have been using tuna cord with a swivel on one end and a snap hook swivel on the other. Less blow back than the snubber etc. Going to cut out the top swivel this year for even less blow back.

I'm new at this. I asked for sure stops and they sold me some #374's. They just have black cord. I have snubbers too so will what I have be ok ?

Those aren't the new sure stops. Where are you located? See if they have any rite angle stops instead. Check out rightanglefishing.com.

Those aren't the new sure stops. Where are you located? See if they have any rite angle stops instead. Check out rightanglefishing.com.
I got them at Cabelas in Nanaimo. I will take them back, the packages are still sealed. PNT probably has them in Parksville

While you're at PNT, buy a roll of either green gangen or black-tarred braided seine twine. You can make your own stops in different lengths. (like for stacking/not stacking). You don't need swivels or a big snap to attach the ball. Knot stops rigger, loop chokes onto ball. Snubber is optional, but is the weak point for snags if you plan to bounce bottom, which is a good thing.

Been making this same setup for well over ten years and it works perfect every time. Most important issue is keeping the ball just underwater at all times, makes it easy to handle and manage after the initial retrieve. We always swing the riggers aft tight to the hull while fighting fish.

Back