Halibut opening

Nailed it searun , But still will say DFO is lieing to us all over and over again...VOODOO math at its finest

I agree, don't particularly have a ton of faith in the methodology used for catch monitoring - there are lots of good examples of holes in the estimation logic. But unfortunately we aren't always helping our case either. Just wish we could get more people doing log books and DNA. DNA would really be helpful in determining with some pin point accuracy when those Fraser River fish are passing certain areas. If we had that data we could at least look more precisely at adaptive regulations that are in place only at times and places where the fish migrate. Once they pass an area, we could re-open or reduce restrictions. Hard to do that in the absence of good reliable data.

http://www.thebristolbaytimes.com/article/1813halibut_fishery_faces_challenges_this_season

Halibut fishery faces challenges this season

"
The industry was on tenterhooks awaiting the catch information, which typically is announced by the International Pacific Halibut Commission in late January. However, representatives from the U.S. and Canada could not agree on how to apportion the halibut catches in fishing regions that stretch from the west coast and British Columbia to the Bering Sea.

"The Canadians felt there was justification in the survey and commercial fishery data that, in concert with a long-held position that the IPHC's apportionment scheme was not accurate, supported a higher catch limit. They were also opposed to the slow pace the U.S. has taken in reducing its bycatch of halibut in the Bering Sea," said Peggy Parker of Seafoodnews.com."

Trying to get a few years of bicatch numbers from ground fish trawl fisheries in Alaska/bearing sea . How many, age , size, etc. Specifically Halibut bicatch. Sadly I am not the best googeler.

Trying to put some perspective to the affect on stocks.

Send me in right direction , or if you have links. Thanks

I'm tied up in meetings and a few burning issues for next few weeks, so would be highly interested in what you turn up with regard to by-catch! Thanks for taking this on.

Halibut bycatch,One drag by one boat.

Attachments

• DSCN2228crop.jpg
    DSCN2228crop.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 145
I'm tied up in meetings and a few burning issues for next few weeks, so would be highly interested in what you turn up with regard to by-catch! Thanks for taking this on.

I will do some digging and
See what I can find.

I have read that from the 90's to 2000 the halibut bycatch was 50 million pounds . Not sure what it is at now.

Last edited:
is this new news to anyone? by-catch as its gently called exceeds our tac by a few digits hey?

it should by called "wanton and waste" criminal charges should apply.

Last edited:
I found the article I had read, It was fifty million pounds from 1989-2000. Not a year, That's still a lot.

Anyone know if commercial halibut fishing is happening off Victoria?
I don't know how they get a special amendment, but maybe.

The 2018 commercial Pacific Halibut fishery will be open at 12:00 hours local
time, March 24, 2018, until 12:00 hours local time, November 7, 2018. The
commercial Pacific Halibut fishery is open in areas 1 to 12, 21, 23 to 27, 101
to 111, 121, 123 to 127, 130, 142 and subareas 19-3 to 19-5 and 20-1 to 20-5,
with the exception of the closures listed in Appendix 10: Fishery Closures for
Groundfish Hook and Line Fisheries within the Integrated Fisheries Management
Plan (IFMP) for Groundfish.

Harvesters wishing to fish in subareas 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48, 19-3 to
19-5, 20-4 to 20-5 must request a special amendment to their condition of
licence from the Halibut Coordinator. Refer to the 2018 Halibut Commercial
Harvest Plan for more details.

Please note that Variation Order 2018-075 is in effect

Soooo, i have a question in regards to buying quota. Lets say you go on a charter and the skipper catches a nice hally 75 lbs, he tells you he has bought quota. He says you can keep the fish, pay for the extra weight (weight over the maximum size limit) for $5.75/lb. You say ok, he then proceeds to fillet the fish right there and now on the hook, throws the fillets in a bag and tosses the carcass over board. You then proceed to take the fillets home, no paper work nothing and there was no paper work filled out on the boat at the time of the catch. Thoughts on this one please??? And yes tell me what you really think :)

Back