2018 Yelloweye(0) and Rockfish Retention

Good to know. My saying that was based on a previous post, in the halli thread I believe, that said the recommendations going to DFO are......,., Yellow eye at zero was in that post. I do not have time to search it now so not a direct quote. I assumed it was in response to the possible area closures.

Either way, we are doing our part. Point of my post was to acquire information as to what the others are doing? Right or wrong, in absence of that knowledge , many outside the process that I have talked to feel it is the rec taking hit so the others can keep going.
I second that. I too read the Feb 5 SFAB notes saying “Motions were passed making descending devices mandatory carry and use on all vessels fishing tidal waters. Additionally, the outside Yellow Eye catch limit will go to zero.” I thought it was voluntarily given away in order to protect certain other type of fishing.

I second that. I too read the Feb 5 SFAB notes saying “Motions were passed making descending devices mandatory carry and use on all vessels fishing tidal waters. Additionally, the outside Yellow Eye catch limit will go to zero.” I thought it was voluntarily given away in order to protect certain other type of fishing.

Just to clarify. I trust that wen you say “other type of fishing” you are referring to removing yelloweye bicatch From recreational Halibut fishing etc. As an alternative to area closures being threatened.

As Searun has clarified.

I am rec angler and a fairly new one at that. I would never advocate my need to catch a YE over the needs of a guiding industry that depends on a Halibut fishery to take clients out/earn money and feed their family. Area closures is never a good thing. I just wasn’t sure if the zero retention was voluntarily proposed as a give away to appease DFO . Searun clarified that wasn’t the case. That is good enough for me.

It would be best to avoid yellow eye area's..

Avoid ye areas. Avoid halibut areas over 48lbs. So essentially don’t bottomfish?

As for sfab not recommending 0 YE, they did (maybe after they were told it was going to happen but they still recommended it) as well as 5 rockfish per person and 3 lingcod per person. Latter options dfo did not apply.

And commies still catch YE...like I said, rec “tactics” shoot ourselves in foot as again shown by this example. Also searun I have not received any email?

Avoid ye areas. Avoid halibut areas over 48lbs. So essentially don’t bottomfish?

As for sfab not recommending 0 YE, they did (maybe after they were told it was going to happen but they still recommended it) as well as 5 rockfish per person and 3 lingcod per person. Latter options dfo did not apply.

And commies still catch YE...like I said, rec “tactics” shoot ourselves in foot as again shown by this example. Also searun I have not received any email?
Well once again you seem to have and know all the answers so I'm waiting for the invite to your new group that can solve all the halibut and rockfish issues.

Never mind, I will ask my questions elsewhere. Can’t take this crap anymore.

Hahahahaha... I found one of your baby pics...thought I would share it..hope u don't mind.... :) :)
received_10155272636292793.gif

Well once again you seem to have and know all the answers so I'm waiting for the invite to your new group that can solve all the halibut and rockfish issues.
Yep, sad. I'll await the big organizational push to attack the 85/15 issue too.

Jencourt, it was a great question and one that deserved an answer. Unfortunate set of circumstances with the Department dug in on a direction, and significant risk of area closures for halibut. Please keep asking.

I saw the email so I know you got it.

This from wikipedia on yelloweye rockfish just as an FYI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelloweye_rockfish

A stock assessment of the species, which incorporated data gathered from northern California and Oregon, was done in 2001. The study concluded the fish's numbers are just 7% of what they would be without human intervention in northern California, and a slightly higher 13% in Oregon. The assessment also showed a 30-year decline in numbers. These numbers are far below the 25% threshold at which a fish is labeled "overfished." As a result, the yellowfish is separated from the assessment group of rockfish in general of which it was a part.[7]

Although efforts are being made to facilitate a recovery in numbers, a formal rebuilding of the species would take decades, as much as 100 years of recovery. This is associated with the fact that they do not reach sexual maturity until they are 10 to 20 years of age.[1][7] A total of 13.5 metric tons (29,800 lb) of yelloweye catch were allowed coastwide in 2002. This limit is set so that fisheries can potentially catch yelloweye if they are caught accidentally, but prevents the targeted fishing of the species. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, meanwhile, prohibited retention of yelloweye rockfish caught by recreational fisheries. Commercial retention of the rockfish is prohibited except for a small 300 lb (136 kg) limit, to allow yellowfish caught dead to be retained.[7] California's sportfishing regulations prohibit the take or possession of Yelloweye rockfish (also Cowcod and Bronzespotted and Canary Rockfish).[9]

As time passed, the restrictions on fishing became stricter; the 2009 Washington state quota is just 6,000 pounds (2.7 t), fewer than 1000 fish. State departments are prepared to close down anglers hunting halibut to protect the species if the situation becomes dire.[2]

A 2017 stock assessment covering the subset of the offshore population off the coasts of California, Oregon, and Washington estimated the population to have increased from a low point of 14.2% of unexploited levels in 2000 to 28.4% in 2017.[10]

Yelloweye rockfish in the inside waters of the Salish Sea are designated as a "Puget Sound/Georgia Basin yelloweye Distinct Population Segment" which was listed as "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act in 2010 and is subject to a recovery plan[6][11]

I saw the email so I know you got it.

It’s my email so I would know if I received it or not smart guy. :D:rolleyes: What a stupid comment...I’m actually laughing out loud right now. LOL Haven’t got anything. Get weekly emails lately from Deryk but that’s about it. Also, isn’t it kind of cute how SV follows me around on here. :oops: Although it’s one liners (get involved is common one as is blame game) never addressing any facts, numbers, or general ideas I post...funny how that works eh SV :p At least some of the others actually do and can have an informed discussion, so have some respect for them at least...

Anyway, back to topic of YE and new restrictions. I’m not playing blame game just stating facts and that’s about it. Not saying sfab is useless or anything just that the strategy taken doesn’t work and should be adjusted now that we can see it doesn’t work. Wasn’t a horrible idea to begin with but clearly dfo does not respect or respond the way sfab anticipated they would to the look we are conservationists strategy. It would be silly to continue it when it’s not working is all I’m saying. It’s undeniable that this strategy is not working. Period. Littlest impact yet seemingly largest cuts and further restrictions. How can anyone deny this ?

Last edited:
Yep, sad. I'll await the big organizational push to attack the 85/15 issue too.

Jencourt, it was a great question and one that deserved an answer. Unfortunate set of circumstances with the Department dug in on a direction, and significant risk of area closures for halibut. Please keep asking.
Searun, do you know if Lingcod are included in the three a day rockfish limit?

Just going over the 5 Nations fishing plan and saw the new numbers etc for Yelloweye estimation. In 2014 when outside limits were 3 per day, coastwide harvest levels were 287 t. They were reduced to 100 t but now are 194t. At that rate, would we not be able to put one per day and keep our rec catch under the 30-40 t or so we would be allocated? In 2014 from the numbers we harvested 55 t of YE...with crazy 3 per day limits... just spitballing. Plus our mortality would be much less since have to use descending devices now.

A guide on an Alaska tv show said outsiders were allowed one per year. Is one per year in certain waters doable as a starting point?

Back