2018 Sidney Reports

Biggs Whales. T2's to be specific. seal munchers :). Cheer them on when you see them.

Out yesterday 10-1. Landed a just undersized spring just out from the Sidney Island dock that was nicely released. Nothing else for the day. A wee lumpy so headed in. Missed the whale show.

I saw those whales coming into JDF at San Simon Point last Wednesday morning. One of them has scoliosis of the back...the big male and he normally follows slowly behind the rest. The others do the hunting and feed him. Interestingly these whales are off spring of 2 whales that were penned up in Pedder Bay back in the 70's and were destined to be sold for aquariums. Someone sabotaged the net holding them in the bay and they got their freedom back. After a bit more reading I learned that quite a few of the early capture whales were Biggs Whales and some died because they refused to eat fish. Nootka was one of the ones who finally caved and took fish and taught another in his pen to do the same. I forget how many weeks they went before accepting the fish...but they were skinny enough to see rib cages.

I saw those whales coming into JDF at San Simon Point last Wednesday morning. One of them has scoliosis of the back...the big male and he normally follows slowly behind the rest. The others do the hunting and feed him. Interestingly these whales are off spring of 2 whales that were penned up in Pedder Bay back in the 70's and were destined to be sold for aquariums. Someone sabotaged the net holding them in the bay and they got their freedom back. After a bit more reading I learned that quite a few of the early capture whales were Biggs Whales and some died because they refused to eat fish. Nootka was one of the ones who finally caved and took fish and taught another in his pen to do the same. I forget how many weeks they went before accepting the fish...but they were skinny enough to see rib cages.
Thats right. Here's T2C by powder wharf

Attachments

• P1010920.JPG.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Fished the Am/Can derby on Saturday. Spent most of the day at Coal and only saw 1 fish landed. Weather got up in the afternoon and blew us off the water around 3pm. Didnt make it to the weigh-in but I heard that the winning fish was 16lbs. We also held a raffle on the Friday night that raised roughly $400 USD for salmon enhancement thanks to donations from Trotac, SaltwaterPimp clothing, and a (not so) anonymous donor.

Fished Coal from 10 - 2 today. Not a lot of bait or fish showing. Talked to a few other boats on the water and lots of empty hands. Picked up a small Spring, but under 62 so released to swim again. Fished Andrew P's off the bottom.

A couple fish that were just under was all that was happening at Wain this am for myself. Green coho killer on bottom 150’. Lots of bait balls were showing up but the algae is getting worse. Manageable though.

A couple fish that were just under was all that was happening at Wain this am for myself. Green coho killer on bottom 150’. Lots of bait balls were showing up but the algae is getting worse. Manageable though.
I was out the same area today, not a lot going on. Pulled prawn traps by senanus island and was getting lots of fish down deep on sounder(250'+) trolled for about 30 mins before I had to go and had a couple hits but no fish to boat.

I fished 8 hours today. Started with a few laps at Coal, then trolled from Coal to the red can, through the maze of crab traps, and over to Cordova Channel. After a few laps at Cordova spit, I picked up and went back to Coal. No bites all day! 4 skunks in a row with 2 of those skunks coming on days I fished pretty hard! Safe to say its pretty slow going out there right now, but the fish should be coming through any day now... maybe.

Missed he morning slack so I rushed over to Cordova Channel and hooked a little one that managed to get my lines all crossed up. After snipping and getting them back in order, I had no other bites. After losing my 3rd cannon ball of the year, I decided to pack it in early and warm up at home. Quite a few vehicles at the launch, hope they had better luck than me!

Also got to witness some guys launch their Arima without the plugs in, sitting there scratching their heads about where all this water is coming from that the bilge is pumping out. I told them they need to put the plugs in but Im not sure they spoke English. They hauled the boat back out and then tied a 40' rope around both boat and trailer... yikes!

Also got to witness some guys launch their Arima without the plugs in, sitting there scratching their heads about where all this water is coming from that the bilge is pumping out. I told them they need to put the plugs in but Im not sure they spoke English. They hauled the boat back out and then tied a 40' rope around both boat and trailer... yikes!

It's almost googan season.

Released an 8 lber this morning at Coal. Caught on the deep side aka the sandlance side. Also snapped a rod so Ive got that going for me, which is nice.

Back