Electric Outboard motors up to 300 HP. The wave of the future

what does dams have to do with this..?
besides nothing. everyone needs clean power whether its to work or live. i read
some where by the year 2020 china is
set to have half of the vehicles on thier
streets to be an EV....ONE HALF.
Now thats a statement.!

2020 is pretty soon. I would put any bets on it.

by 2045 most boats will be fully electric. By 2045 batteries are expected to have the same energy density and gasoline.

thats their goal....dont hate. world is full
of lolypops and sugar gum dreams but this is what makes things reality.
ever wonder what the future will
look like..? have a look around.

When the wind of change blows, some people will build shelters, others windmills.
Whenever the wind blows, some people think it's change.

Others remember a hundred other times it's just been hot air.

We're a long way from green power making sense on a massive scale...a really long way. That said, in some ways it's better suited to boats than cars; they're energy intensive toys owned by a small number of people. You could convert them all to electric without completely having to rewrite the fundamentals of energy delivery in western civilization.

We'll see developments in electric outboards fairly soon on account of the small size of the market. The fact that they won't make economic sense for quite a while in terms of development costs probably won't matter because there will always be tax money available to bankroll companies that want to play around with this stuff.

Personally I would love it because I run my boat 120km on a pretty frequent basis and I've spent more on fuel than on the boat itself. In fact, fuel is my largest cost, even including marina dry stack storage. If I could save $2-3000 annually on fuel, that'd be great. Not very realistic, but great.

I’ve got about as confidence in these taking off as I do that renewables could take over fossil fuels to power our cities.
Only a matter of time.

few modes of transportion are able to
tap into a source of renewable energy.
EV do this in a rather limited fasion
by way of turning the drive motors into generators when coasting and braking accounting for up to 15 % + depending where and how the vehicle is being drivin.
Boats on the other hand could run turbine generators in the water genrating
power nearly 100% of the time while under way or even while anchored
in a gentle current. ..

what does dams have to do with this..?
besides nothing. everyone needs clean power whether its to work or live. i read
some where by the year 2020 china is
set to have half of the vehicles on thier
streets to be an EV....ONE HALF.
Now thats a statement.!
The reason I asked that is the power to charge those batteries doesn't come from unicorn farts. I am also interested in electric outboards but have a full realization that power for anything does not come free of charge. Some where along the way there has to be a trade off.

u want to argue but im giving reasonable insite to what is available. positive
imput is what makes these sites great
with an inclusive culture for all those
willing to participate.

u want to argue but im giving reasonable insite to what is available. positive
imput is what makes these sites great
with an inclusive culture for all those
willing to participate.
I just asked a question and still you cannot answer. Sound familiar?

Electric motors are a great idea and personally I would like to have one. The issue I see is the same with carbon fuels there is not an unlimited supply and the easiest route would be power dams but to get that power salmon rivers might take a **** kicking.

Electric motors are a great idea and personally I would like to have one. The issue I see is the same with carbon fuels there is not an unlimited supply and the easiest route would be power dams but to get that power salmon rivers might take a **** kicking.

Great question but we need to understand how that power is generated and when it is used. It could be that if we use solar and wind to create the new needed power we could then use those dams as storage for later use. There is a great set of articles that I read the other day that tackles this problem and offers some solutions.

Why the "duck curve" created by solar power is a problem for utilities
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/10/10960848/solar-energy-duck-curve

Flattening the "duck curve" to get more renewable energy on the grid
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/12/10970858/flattening-duck-curve-renewable-energy

Solar power’s greatest challenge was discovered 10 years ago. It looks like a duck.
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/3/20/17128478/solar-duck-curve-nrel-researcher

So from all of that a picture appears that the solution is interconnects and storage. For BC we have interconnects with the US and one or two with Alberta. Alberta, if I'm not mistaken, is working on an interconnect with Sask & Manitoba as well as boosting it's share of wind and solar. On a grid scale BC & Manitoba are excellent for production but should we find that storage becomes more important it would be easy to set aside some of that production to storage. Things get interesting when we start looking at EV's and in this case batteries for a boat. Let's say I had a boat parked next to my house that had a battery that has enough energy in it to power my house for 6 hours. I could use it to go fishing on the weekend or if it was setup to store power from the grid and if the grid needed it, then give it back. I would want a price for that service and knowing that peaker power plants are expensive that price would have to be fair. Charging it back up when power was plentiful, cheap rates, would make the system beneficial for both me and the power company. The same would go for EV's and when looking at an EV battery there is enough energy to supply the average home for 3 days. That's a lot of storage.

I'm going to mount floodlights over my solar panels, I'm never going to run out of power!
Current electric motors and controllers are pretty inexpensive. I don't understand how they don't come in less expensive than a gas outboard.

I'm going to mount floodlights over my solar panels, I'm never going to run out of power!
Current electric motors and controllers are pretty inexpensive. I don't understand how they don't come in less expensive than a gas outboard.
Or add paddle wheels on the side of the boat to recharge the batteries.

Interesting video.

Very good example of what we are looking at in energy demands every time we flick a switch. To me that is the understanding people need to have before we can switch to sustainable energy.
But back to the outboard we can see how much power we will be consuming through this.

For a boat that's not used to go long distances regularly, a solar system on the cabin roof will provide a lot of charging capacity. A small gas outboard could be used on occasions when extended range is required. I live about a quarter of the time off grid on solar. It works well most of the time. You can't rely on the sun for 24/7 power, but you can arrange back ups.

OK,

So I pull up to Critter Cover and plug in to their power source along with 40 other boats that also are needing to be re charged in a hurry so we can carry on with a day of fishing. Right?

Let me in on the secret, has someone developed a Cold Fusion power generation station for remote resorts so we can all get recharged while we go in for Lunch?

No????

Then unless you are boating in close proximity to a nuclear power station backed marina that has been engineered to deliver tens of thousands of amps of power to a fleet of sport fishing boats, without killing some or all of us by accident, with boats big enough to carry thousands of pounds of batteries, this is really just a day dream.

Drewski

Back