Talk to me about Vacuum Sealers

I have literally gone through 4 Costco foodsavers......although the latest one is definitely the best. I use the crap out of them and when they die Costco replaces it with a nice new one no questions asked.

GnB

I’m bringing this tread back from the deep to ask straight up what vacuum sealer I should buy in the range of $100-150? It seems that suck at fishing so it will barely get used. Maybe this Friday will change that... Find out in the reports thread!

I’d triple my budget for a food saver brand. They’re not the same as a chamber sealer but if you take care they work well and give a good product. I may have missed it in one of the earlier replies (into the scotch) but we put our fillets or whatever we’re sealing on a cookie sheet and toss it in the freezer long enough to freeze the surface. It keeps moisture from getting sucked up and fouling the sealing surface. I started with a $100 unit, used it for years until it **** the bed then upgraded and upgraded again when the second one died. I’m not sure if they advertise it or rate them on duty cycle but the upper end ones do way more bags before they overheat and shut themselves down. Makes a big diff if you’ve had a good day or bought 37 pounds of pork chops from Costco. Buy the best one you can, it’s not worth cheaping out. Also bones will poke holes, maybe not right away but as you shuffle **** around in your freezer they can, pull the bones or put a layer of plastic from bag leftovers over the bones to protect the bag.

Last edited:
For that amount of money just use a zip lock bag and do them all manually.
Ouch, fair enough. I just see a lot on amazon in that price range with over 4* reviews and hundreds of reviewers. I take it you’ve had a bad experience with one in the past? There’s also a few different ones from Costco, which as we all know has a no questions asked return policy. Really no harm it trying one out. Thanks anyways

I’d triple my budget for a food saver brand. They’re not the same as a chamber sealer but if you take care they work well and give a good product. I may have missed it in one of the earlier replies (into the scotch) but we put our fillets or whatever we’re sealing on a cookie sheet and toss it in the freezer long enough to freeze the surface. It keeps moisture from getting sucked up and fouling the sealing surface. I started with a $100 unit, used it for years until it **** the bed then upgraded and upgraded again when the second one died. I’m not sure if they advertise it or rate them on duty cycle but the upper end ones do way more bags before they overheat and shut themselves down. Makes a big diff if you’ve had a good day or bought 37 pounds of pork chops from Costco. Buy the best one you can, it’s not worth cheaping out. Also bones will poke holes, maybe not right away but as you shuffle **** around in your freezer they can, pull the bones or put a layer of plastic from bag leftovers over the bones to protect the bag.
Thanks for the advice. I see the food saver brand has many models in many price ranges... what model do you like? I’m sure I can add a couple hundred to my budget if it’s gonna be worth it.

Thanks for the advice. I see the food saver brand has many models in many price ranges... what model do you like? I’m sure I can add a couple hundred to my budget if it’s gonna be worth it.

FM5200, having the second heat strip just for making bags really speeds up the process. You can be sealing the next bag while one is being sucked out and sealed up top. Looks like they’re going for a better price now too.

A suggestion - whatever you buy contact the company and purchase extra foam seals and heat strip. They are constantly changing models and quickly stop selling replacement parts.

Ouch, fair enough. I just see a lot on amazon in that price range with over 4* reviews and hundreds of reviewers. I take it you’ve had a bad experience with one in the past? There’s also a few different ones from Costco, which as we all know has a no questions asked return policy. Really no harm it trying one out. Thanks anyways

I disagree with previous comments under $150. I have a 15 year old seal a meal purchased at Canadian tire for $40. Still going.

Well I got a chamber sealer from a guy in sooke here looks like a mini dishwasher. save up and but a chamber sealer you wont be disappointed.
After trying to F@#$ around with 3 foodsavers doing about 60 lbs of fish I said this bites took us 4 hours to do as they had to "cool down" etc was fed up and decided to bite the bullet and spend the 1500$ on it.
AND man glad i did i can do 2 pieces of fish in 29 seconds in 5 mm bags. and use ANY bag
we do everything soups,vegs whole chickens,game meat pepperoni ,smokies etc. I personally would never use anything but a chamber sealer VERY FAST and in the long run after going thru 5 of them foodsaver and farting around with wiping and towels and drying i dont have time for it what i paid on units and bags all those years grrrrr .I can burn thru 50 lbs of fish in about 45 mins including clean up. And paid it off by charging my fishing buds going rate had it paid off in a year.
have to change oil 2 times a year but i bet it does 2000 to 3000 lbs of meat,fish,poultry also use it for pre made meals vac pack it take them hunting boil in bag turkey dinners ,lasagna,pork chops in wine sauce all you do throw it in boiling water and 15 mins later dinner is done .

Well I got a chamber sealer from a guy in sooke here looks like a mini dishwasher. save up and but a chamber sealer you wont be disappointed.
After trying to F@#$ around with 3 foodsavers doing about 60 lbs of fish I said this bites took us 4 hours to do as they had to "cool down" etc was fed up and decided to bite the bullet and spend the 1500$ on it.
AND man glad i did i can do 2 pieces of fish in 29 seconds in 5 mm bags. and use ANY bag
we do everything soups,vegs whole chickens,game meat pepperoni ,smokies etc. I personally would never use anything but a chamber sealer VERY FAST and in the long run after going thru 5 of them foodsaver and farting around with wiping and towels and drying i dont have time for it what i paid on units and bags all those years grrrrr .I can burn thru 50 lbs of fish in about 45 mins including clean up. And paid it off by charging my fishing buds going rate had it paid off in a year.
have to change oil 2 times a year but i bet it does 2000 to 3000 lbs of meat,fish,poultry also use it for pre made meals vac pack it take them hunting boil in bag turkey dinners ,lasagna,pork chops in wine sauce all you do throw it in boiling water and 15 mins later dinner is done .
Agree-chamber sealer is the way to go!!

Where do you guys get your 4-5mm bags?

I’m looking for some premade bags, not rolls. Just seeing if anyone has a magic supplier that I missed.

I’ve used the standard Costco Foodsaver model for 4 summers now. Invest in better bags (4 mil) and get better value for your dollar.

The only seal failures are my own fault. I tend to double seal each end (I prefer using rolls). The only down side to the Foodsaver is you do need to let it cool down.

Unless you have an unlimited budget and are willing to blow it IMHO.

I started pre-freezing my fish on a sheet pan for a couple hours before vac packing. Apparently it helps prevent too much moisture/ice build up in the flesh. I'll let you know how that goes. It is less "juicy" when packing which is nice.

I use a foodsaver which is ok. Usually have to cool the sealing deal with a wet rag to keep the pace up. Otherwise it shuts off quite frequently. Also use the pulse and seal buttons manually. It gets a better suck that way.

I started pre-freezing my fish on a sheet pan for a couple hours before vac packing. Apparently it helps prevent too much moisture/ice build up in the flesh. I'll let you know how that goes. It is less "juicy" when packing which is nice.

Absolutely great advice. Less moisture but the more solid the fish I find the tighter the seal you get.

Back