2018 Yelloweye(0) and Rockfish Retention

bugleemup

I just had DFO bulletin emailed this morning:
I guess Yelloweye is zero retention.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0249-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Rockfish and Lingcod: Coast-wide Management Measures - daily limits and close times - in effect starting April 1, 2018

Effective April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019, the following recreational daily
limits and close times apply to Rockfish and Lingcod in North and South Coast
waters as described. These management measures are required to reduce fishing
impacts on rockfish in general and identified rockfish species of concern.

North Coast:
Areas: 1 to 10, 101 to 110, 130, 142
Daily limits: Rockfish, all species combined - three (3), only one (1) of which
may be a Quillback rockfish, a Tiger rockfish, or a China rockfish; there is
zero (0) retention for Yelloweye rockfish and Bocaccio rockfish; lingcod - two
(2).
Close time: November 16 to March 31 (open April 1 to November 15)

South Coast (Outside waters):
Areas: 11, 21 to 27, 111, 123 to 127, Subareas 12-14 and 20-1 to 20-4, and Area
121 (excluding the following portions described below):

Area 121
No person shall fish for or retain Halibut, rockfish and Lingcod in Area 121
outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees
34.000 minutes and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes W and continues south easterly at
a bearing of 116 degrees True to a point at 48 degrees 28.327 minutes and 125
degrees 01.687 minutes W.

Area 121:
Closed to all finfish, year round in the waters of Swiftsure Bank, inside a
line from 48 degrees 34.00 minutes N and 125 degrees 06.00 minutes W, thence to
48 degrees 34.00 minutes N and 124 degrees 54.20 minutes W, thence to 48
degrees 29.62 minutes N and 124 degrees 43.40 minutes W, thence following the
International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48 degrees 29.55 minutes
N and 124 degrees 56.20 minutes W, thence in a straight line to the point of
commencement.

Daily limits: Rockfish, all species combined - three (3), only one (1) of which
may be a Quillback rockfish, a Tiger rockfish, or a China rockfish; there is
zero (0) retention for both Yelloweye rockfish and Bocaccio rockfish; lingcod -
two (2).
Close time: November 16 to March 31 (open April 1 to November 15)

South Coast (Inside waters):
Areas: 13 to 19 and Subareas 12-1 to 12-13, 12-15 to 12-48, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-
Daily limits: To be announced (by separate Fishery Notice).
Close time: October 1 to April 30 (open May 1 to September 30)

Area 28 and Subareas 29-1 to 29-4 and 29-6 to 29-17 are closed to rockfish and
lingcod April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019 (all year).

Variation Orders 2018-124 and 2018-125 in effect

NOTES:

Licensing - the 2018/2019 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of
Licence, are in effect starting 00:01 hours April 1, 2018.

Rockfish Conservations Areas (RCA's) and Marine Protected Areas (including
glass sponge reef closures) remain in effect - refer to the following website
for descriptions:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint-eng.html

Please review the BC Sport Fishing Guide online at:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html
for any other restrictions that apply to the Area that you are fishing in, such
as finfish closures, size limits, annual limits, and permitted gear.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at 1-800-465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-866-431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Peter Katinic (North Coast) – (250)559-8330
Carole Eros - (604)666-7089

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0249
Sent March 27, 2018 at 10:20
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

A LOT of floating pumpkins this year. We have descending devices but vast vast majority of reg sportys don’t. Don’t have numbers in front of me for yelloweye but wonder if 1/1 instead of what it was this past year at 1/2 would of been better option until descending devices were made mandatory.

I wonder why DFO is dragging their feet on the implementation of descending devices? Give lots of notice and some will start immediately. Makes no sense to me.

Reading those I can see how people get confused. I had to re read several times. Very poorly articulated for the average person to understand.

I wonder why DFO is dragging their feet on the implementation of descending devices? Give lots of notice and some will start immediately. Makes no sense to me.

Not sure what you mean by DFO they don’t write laws the MP”s in Ottawa do....this would require an amendment to the fisheries act...I think DFO has had some amendments to the fishery’s act sitting on the MP desk in Ottawa for the last 20 years.

Last edited:
1 less thing in the ocean to hunt down and kill for my guests. :)

Not sure what you mean by DFO they don’t write laws the MP”s in Ottawa do....this would require an amendment to the fisheries act...I think DFO has had some amendments to the fishery’s act sitting on the MP desk in Ottawa for the last 20 years.
Ya I understand that but doesn't DFO push for regulations? Seems to me this would be an important one...

The reason that the SFAB motion to make descending devices mandatory carry and use did not make it into the regulation this season was DFO C&P (fish cops) are looking for a perfectly worded iron clad definition of what constitutes a descending device so they can write a ticket that stands up in court.

While I believe this is utter crap or the tail wagging the dog getting in the way of making good Fisheries management decisions, we are stuck with an organization fixated on perfection rather than a minimum viable product.

To that end the SFAB has struck a joint DFO/SFAB Committee to work on what can be done to find more flexibility or tools to take faster action on regulation changes that need to be implemented quickly to either address a late emerging Conservation issue or to create angling opportunities when we have a positive shift in abundance.

It has to pass the judge and if it does not then pretty much a waiste of time . Also one does not want to be embarrassed
In court as that creates a whole bunch of new problems.

Further, it has to be promoted for all to know and understand.
It should be noted on the actual licence.

The reason that the SFAB motion to make descending devices mandatory carry and use did not make it into the regulation this season was DFO C&P (fish cops) are looking for a perfectly worded iron clad definition of what constitutes a descending device so they can write a ticket that stands up in court.

While I believe this is utter crap or the tail wagging the dog getting in the way of making good Fisheries management decisions, we are stuck with an organization fixated on perfection rather than a minimum viable product.

To that end the SFAB has struck a joint DFO/SFAB Committee to work on what can be done to find more flexibility or tools to take faster action on regulation changes that need to be implemented quickly to either address a late emerging Conservation issue or to create angling opportunities when we have a positive shift in abundance.

It has to pass the judge and if it does not then pretty much a waiste of time . Also one does not want to be embarrassed
In court as that creates a whole bunch of new problems.

Further, it has to be promoted for all to know and understand.
It should be noted on the actual licence.

It was originally proposed to be handled as a "condition of license" but as explained previously they got all hung up over the definition of the actual device. No one ever suggested that enforcement action needed to happen in year 1 either. Put the training wheels on, and work out the fine print that keeps some lawyer in the Justice Dept happy later. Fish interests first, enforcement later. Minimum Viable Product!

Perfectionism is precisely why things take 20 years around here.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more Searun. Are folks going to be charged who make a legitimate effort or found guilty by a judge? Doubtful, focus should be on the 10% who won’t give a rats butt regardless of how fool proof the regs are and those are the ones enforcement action is meant for. Not hard to present evidence to a judge when no approximation of a descending device on board and rockfish just thrown to float or to the eagles - few photos, good notes of the observations and the dead floaters collected. Like you said don’t make it more complicated than it has to and why forego the benefit from what I call the lazy compliers — they’re not going to get a descending device now without it in the regs but will grudgingly comply if it’s a reg. Sad that we’ll see another season without it which will just delay the recovery process!

Cheers!

Ukee

Presumably he means less fish to clean for his guests now. Some people just want a full tub above all else... to the informed its obviously very greedy but they so pay a small fortune for some of these trips and just want to get their moneys worth, even if they end up throwing most of it away freezerburnt a year or 2 later. Most guests arent like this but every once in a while somebody whos tubbed on salmon, halibut and ling cod for the trip will ask "soo whats the limit on rockfish?"

Out of all the fish out here we can eat it has never been one of my favorite's for table fare. For me I found it stronger tasting than any other bottom fish. Maybe I just like less strong flavored fish. Talking to fishermen that love to eat them and saying they find them milder flavored I didn't find that out of the few I have eaten over the years. Or maybe it was just where they were caught and what they were feeding on. Last time I ate one was up by Pr McNeil and it was the same as the other one prior to that for flavor. And we ate it fresh out of the ocean an hour after catching it and was kept on ice the whole time. So anyway no loss for me. I haven't targeted them for years now. I'm a Ling meat lover myself so I hope those population numbers get stronger. I actually look forward to that opening date every year more than anything else.

Why wouldn't anyone sportfishing just get a descending device off the get go. $10 is a small price to pay to ensure non targeted fish have a chance to survive. Shouldn't have to wait for a regulation. I'm just starting out and it was one of the first things on the list when I was getting tackle.

Back