Descending devices

Sradons

Crew Member
I am looking at getting a descending device for my boat. What does everyone recommend. I have read mostly into the Seaqualizer and Shelton. I am looking for input from those who have used the devices.

thanks,
Sam

I used the Shelton last summer. A few considerations. Any rockfish larger than about 5lbs needs a 2lb weight. I caught a really big one last year that even a 2lb weight would send down. They also seem to come off when you first drop them into the water...there is definitely a technique to them. I'm going to a Seaqualizer this year due to my frustrations. The pros to the Shelton are obviously cost...hope that help.

I received a seaqualizer this year. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but would like to hear any feedback or hints.

agree, I started using the seaequalizer last year & it works like a hot dam. Its just important to move as quick as possible so be ready before you drop the first lure.

This year I am going to attach a camera to see how the fish respond to going down. It would be good to see them come back to life

I have used a Seaquilizer for past 2 years. Works awesome. Set up an extra rod with 2 pound weight. Likely even better to use on a downrigger for the bigger fish.

Remember you don’t go down to full depth where you caught the fish.

I have used a Seaquilizer for past 2 years. Works awesome. Set up an extra rod with 2 pound weight. Likely even better to use on a downrigger for the bigger fish.

Where do you get them Steve?

About half the speed on the way down too.. 1/2 to 2/3 of the depth...u can go to full depth if you want

:)

The seaqualizer works great as long as you have a downrigger to deploy it with. Apparently these devices will become mandatory in the near future so you may as well invest in one now if youre fishing in areas with rockfish.

Where do you get them Steve?
Got mine at Pacific Net and Twine in Errington.

Use it every time we fish lings now as the deeper spots always have a few rock fish too. No floaters at all if you use them right away and are gentle with your fish.

Derby u guys got any in stock?

The seaqualizer works great as long as you have a downrigger to deploy it with. Apparently these devices will become mandatory in the near future so you may as well invest in one now if youre fishing in areas with rockfish.

its just the thing to do..we cannot just allow floaters anymore.. most likely 2019 for manatory devices to be carried and used...

Ordered mine last week... will be nice to release the yellow eye and not see them float away not knowing of they had a chance in hell of surviving..... I support mandatory use of these for sure...! I have tried the little hook thing of riggers... don't always work.

Seaquilizer as others have stated. More $ but in relative terms to everything else, not that big a deal. It is pretty important stuff.

I hear its also law in some parts of Alaska...

Its so long overdue....

"Yelloweye rockfish live to be extremely old, even for their unusually long-lived genus. They average 114 to 120 years of age; the oldest ones reach as much as 147 years. They fade from bright orange to a paler yellow as they grow in age." Wikepedia

attach seaqualizer to downrigger cable and send down. Works flawlessly and no more dead fish scumb lines behind the boat. Have never seen a fish released this way float back up
Exactly what i do, easier than using a rod

Back