Sky rocketing fuel prices

tidal shot

Crew Member
Who’s looking forward to see $2.oo a litre for fuel this summer? Already rethinking my entire fishing season
If prices keep jumping up like they have in the last month, won’t be making too many offshore trips!

We spend thousands upon thousands on our boats, gear, tackle, electronics, etc. Are you really going to let a $0.10/L hike in gas prices dictate your summer fishing plans? Its only money, they print more every day!

I actually was amazed that I found it is the oil companies not the government. Has nothing to do with Horgan or Weaver. Hang on I will get the article.

Please read this. It nailed it for me regardless if you are for or against pipeline expansion. These are the things that aren't being told... The rising cost of fuel is very bad for small business BTW and will not just affect fishing if it continues. I am already seeing surcharges going up for raw materials, and delivery costs. Businesses will be hit with either absorbing or passing it on to the customer.

There is no reason why the prices should be so high.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-rise-after-trans-mountain-pipeline-1.4587811

From the article:

The prices we see right now, we've been told is because of renovations or refurbishment at the refinery and that's having an impact on supply of the refined product — gasoline. Is that not the case here?

No, that is not the case. There is no scarcity of supply and there is no bottleneck on the current system

Please read this. It nailed it for me regardless if you are for or against pipeline expansion. These are the things that aren't being told... The rising cost of fuel is very bad for small business BTW and will not just affect fishing if it continues. I am already seeing surcharges going up for raw materials, and delivery costs. Businesses will be hit with either absorbing or passing it on to the customer.

There is no reason why the prices should be so high.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-rise-after-trans-mountain-pipeline-1.4587811

From the article:

The prices we see right now, we've been told is because of renovations or refurbishment at the refinery and that's having an impact on supply of the refined product — gasoline. Is that not the case here?

No, that is not the case. There is no scarcity of supply and there is no bottleneck on the current system
I suppose the increase in carbon taxes April 1 2018 is the oil companies fault. There is so much inaccurate information in that article I do not know where to start

I suppose the increase in carbon taxes April 1 2018 is the oil companies fault. There is so much inaccurate information in that article I do not know where to start

Explain then, and please back up with proper facts. If it is wrong we would like to know. This isn't a pro pipeline or against all we are talking about is why are gas prices so high. I believe it has zero to do with Kinder Morgan. I also believe it cant be all about a carbon tax. So if its not those two things than what is it?

Last edited:
the pipe line is to send product off shore not to lower gas prices. what we need in bc are refineries to produce more gas. i sure hope all the anti pipeline protesters walked or used solar power to get to the protest rallies.

the pipe line is to send product off shore not to lower gas prices. what we need in bc are refineries to produce more gas. i sure hope all the anti pipeline protesters walked or used solar power to get to the protest rallies.
The current Trans mountain pipeline carries both crude and refined distillates (gas and diesel) . The new twining of the line will carry the same products. The big value for Alberta is the ability to ship dilbit offshore, the value to use would be a more reliable supply.It will have an effect on retail and wholesale pricing. Can you imagine the opposition to a new refinery build....their would be protests like we have never seen.

Explain then, and please back up with proper facts. If it is wrong we would like to know. This isn't a pro pipeline or against all we are talking about is why are gas prices so high. I believe it has zero to do with Kinder Morgan. I also believe it cant be all about a carbon tax. So if its not those two things than what is it?
We have the highest taxes on fuel in North America. This is a great country, where else can you get a liter of fuel less than a liter of water !!!

Location Location Location they say!

Price of gas today from Gas Buddy.com:
Kamloops 129.9 (no KM Protest)
Williams Lake 114.9 (no KM Protest)
Prince George 109.9 (no KM Protest)
Vancouver 154.9 (well you know.......)

Currently ship 50,000 - 60,000 bbls of refined diesel and gas every day down KM. With new pipe being dedicated to oil it will free up more room on the existing line.

That's a fact

Almost 50c/L here in Vancouver is Tax.

Fantasies of Oil companies ginning up the price are just that. It works on a supply/demand basis and to say that all suppliers are collaborating to get a pipeline through is naive.

I think it’s time we stop attacking business/the “rich” about these types of issues, and start demanding our representatives learn how to manage a bank account.

Anyone seen how much money they brought in just through homes changing hands? It’s obscene how much money they squander, yet they still can’t tax us enough.

Here's potentially one of many news stories on what is partially driving up fuel prices. While the article itself doesn't state it's driving up fuel prices the fact Canadian oil producers are having to sell their oil at such highly discounted rates they are penalizing Western Canadians at the pumps to make up some loss of profits through much higher yield at the retail level.

Here's one of many links on how highly discounted our crude is because of lack of ability to export our oil.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-oil-price-1.4446698

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wti-wcs-gmp-dwarkin-rseg-oil-1.4491527

We have the highest taxes on fuel in North America. This is a great country, where else can you get a liter of fuel less than a liter of water !!!

It may be so but still...There is know way its just tax though that is what I am saying here. Even if you factor it in it makes no sense.

Back