MY APPEAL TO Salt Water FISHERMEN .

capt hook

We all know that the SEAL population has exploded and is in need of a serious cull.
We all know the DFO will NEVER allow it on this coast. (too much politics)
And the problem is growing and is not going to go away.
We know the transient killer whales eat them , but too slowly. So nature is not going to do the job in our life time.
So here,s my idea and i want all to join me to promote it thru social media etc. and get the JOB DONE.
Phone or email or talk to First Nations in your community and ask them to supply you with a tanned Seal Skin. We need First Nations to know there is a market and you are willing to pay for a tanned pelt.
I have bought a few from Newfoundland and they are a fabulous pelt for many uses.
This can bring prosperity and many jobs to thousands of Aboriginal,s if promoted right.
Every Band in BC should have a fishery and quota , the only reason they are not fishing them now is there is no market.
We have to create that market. Talk to your local MP , local DFO office and Officers. Promote it.
If everyone orders one Seal Skin Pelt then we are on our way to a successful CULL. And job creation.
How much is it worth to you to have a sport fishing future?
Instead of fighting First Nations , lets work with them.
They have the power and are the people to do this job and can do this legally. But we have to each buy a pelt.
So , kick this idea around please. And talk to you local Indian Band and ask them to help and put in your order.
This can work !

Thanks for the creative thought. I will explore that idea. Yesterday anchored at Heriot Bay just west of the new dock in a little bay I could not believe my eyes as a sea lion cruised by. There is a small stream in this bay which is desperately trying to keep the few salmon it sees every fall. Seals are most definitely having an impact on salmon recovery.

So what's the market value of such a thing? I'd imagine I could get one made in China for less no? ;)

Sea Otter pelts in the late 17th early 18th centuries for 50 or so years was a multi million dollar business. The principal market was China. An attractive seal skin product and a little promo just might be able to stir up some demand ... l.6 billion people.

So what's the market value of such a thing? I'd imagine I could get one made in China for less no? ;)
I bought a few from Newfoundland a couple yrs ago...Adult Harp seal.
they were professionally tanned and great quality.
I was gonna make seat cushion covers for my boat , but they are too nice so have them over a couple of leather chairs at home.
They cost around 90 dollars each including shipping .
I want to get a couple vests made , but cant find a person to make them for me.
I think this could be a great industry for our West Coast First Nations.
I,m going down to North Van mosquitoe creek band office monday to talk with them.
I know they are hard to retrieve after you shoot them as they sink quickly .
But if you shoot them when they are on rocks ....bingo.
If you cruise slowly along the shore line especially in Howe sound they are everywhere on the rocks.

I think this could be a great industry for our West Coast First Nations.
I,m going down to North Van mosquitoe creek band office monday to talk with them.
I know they are hard to retrieve after you shoot them as they sink quickly .
But if you shoot them when they are on rocks ....bingo.
If you cruise slowly along the shore line especially in Howe sound they are everywhere on the rocks.

Harbour Seals are protected under the Fisheries Act. Pretty sure it is not as easy as it sounds to simply place a few orders for pelts with Squamish FN.

Might not be "easy" if they are threatened. I doubt if C&P would touch it w a 29&1/2 ft pole if they were not threatened...

This is actually a great idea!

Sea Otter pelts in the late 17th early 18th centuries for 50 or so years was a multi million dollar business. The principal market was China. An attractive seal skin product and a little promo just might be able to stir up some demand ... l.6 billion people.

I totally agree with the possibility of creating a market but wouldn’t that require somewhat of an entrepreneurial spirit?

Be aware that they are really toxic!
This would be due to what they eat.

All the ones from the Puntledge had to be treated as super toxic.

Hell of an idea capt hook
Does any one know of a use for the meat?
Perhaps pet food.
Pallets for fish farms. ;)

I,ve eaten it bbq and its pretty good except the cook put too much salt on it.
And remember a few yrs back when our pretty ex Governor General.... was eating it on her arctic tour.
Native people have been eating it for years.... so am sure it would be covered under the food and ceremonial foods act.
And the skins would be the bonus.

I have eaten Seal Flipper Pie. A friend brought them back from Bell Island. They were cooked East Coast style, basically a stew with biscuits baked on top of it. It was very tasty although the meat is rather dark. I understand they use young animals which don't have the gaminess that sometimes older ones may have. There may also be some advisability in eating young small ones similar to why people are advised to select small young dog fish. Given the human population growth curve, I suspect future humans will not be forgoing such a large quality protein source, at least once we get use to eating insects and worm burgers.

As far as I know there is no legal access to west coast seal meat, unless of course one was First Nations. I can't imagine DFO and the politicians would take them on, especially over an overpopulated species. As I recall in Washington State some years back, American FN's asserted their rights and did a little Whale harvesting.

Last edited:
Does anyone know or have connections to BC Coastal First Nations Leaders?
I want to put in order for several hundred seal pelts and sea lion pelts.

Does anyone know or have connections to BC Coastal First Nations Leaders?
I want to put in order for several hundred seal pelts and sea lion pelts.
The Grandview MLA is a friends wife. I'll ask him to talk to her about it. She is, in her own words, the NDP's "token Indian" and loves this kind of stuff.

Melanie Mark ? She is the MLA for the Vancouver-Mount Pleasant riding.
You're absolutely right. I caught the mistake as soon as I posted but figured "meh, who the hell would call me out on it" lol.
MR CAPILANO THAT'S WHO! ;)

You're absolutely right. I caught the mistake as soon as I posted but figured "meh, who the hell would call me out on it" lol.
MR CAPILANO THAT'S WHO! ;)

Coincidentally, her husband is a basketball coach at Capilano University...no relation to my name!

Back