Tackle shop In Port Hardy / McNeil

RogersonCrusoe

Hi all,
I'm going to be up in both Port Hardy and McNeil for work in the next coming weeks - any good tackle shops around for me to contribute to the local economy? Google isn't being too helpful in this regard.
Thanks!

McNeill has a couple shops, Timberland Sports and Shoprite Marine. Timberland is at the bottom of the hill, hang a right at the stop sign and you will see it in the plaza on your right.

Shoprite is at the bottom of the hill on your left, big place, tough to miss.

Hardy on has a tackle shop in the summertime

Cheers

Best to load up before you go but if you have to, timberland sports gets my vote. The guy at shoprite marine is a strait up crook.

When I was in Port McNeil a couple years ago I broke my transducer and went looking for a replacement . The guy at shoprite marine had one. But he also knew he had me over a barrel and was just a farkin dick about it. I mean a serious a$$hole. Told me I could drive to Campbell river if I didn’t want to pay his prices. I can’t remember exactly how much but the guy wanted gold for one. Luckily the guy at timberland sports was having a sale and had a cheap humminbird fishfinder with the transducer I needed for about 30% less than the pirate at shoprite wanted for just a transducer. Incredibly it was on hold for another customer but the owner at timberland phoned the person who’d put it on layaway and explained my situation and the fellow let him sell it to us. That’s customer service. I was so grateful I put an extra $20 on the other guys layaway for when next shipment of finders came in. And still come away spending less than I would’ve at Shoprite.

On a side note, I was looking at the halibut harpoons in shoprite at the same time and they were on sale: one style was on for $30 and a better quality one was on for $69. And there was one $69 dollar one mistakenly labeled with the $30 price tag so I bought it. Not because I’ll ever need it but because he tried to gouge me so bad I felt I needed some kind of payback.

Last edited:
Try Ace Hardware in Port Hardy. It has all the regular hardware stuff but also has a very reasonable selection of fishing gear. As a bonus, it is right beside the liquor store...kill two birds with one park! Depending on what you need, other options include Reddens (services commercial guys but also has reasonable selection of sport gear like nets, traps, lures, terminal gear, etc), Styker (mostly electronics but also selection of boat hardware), Macandales (mostly boat/engine maintenance stuff but also safety gear like flares, life jackets).

Ace Hardware does carry sport gear but has the highest prices on the North Island

If your needing to purchase some gear the two stores in McNeill are your best bet for selection and price

If your just looking to kill some time checking out gear then all the local
Stores of have been mentioned

Cheers

Best to load up before you go but if you have to, timberland sports gets my vote. The guy at shoprite marine is a strait up crook.

When I was in Port McNeil a couple years ago I broke my transducer and went looking for a replacement . The guy at shoprite marine had one. But he also knew he had me over a barrel and was just a farkin dick about it. I mean a serious a$$hole. Told me I could drive to Campbell river if I didn’t want to pay his prices. I can’t remember exactly how much but the guy wanted gold for one. Luckily the guy at timberland sports was having a sale and had a cheap humminbird fishfinder with the transducer I needed for about 30% less than the pirate at shoprite wanted for just a transducer. Incredibly it was on hold for another customer but the owner at timberland phoned the person who’d put it on layaway and explained my situation and the fellow let him sell it to us. That’s customer service. I was so grateful I put an extra $20 on the other guys layaway for when next shipment of finders came in. And still come away spending less than I would’ve at Shoprite.

On a side note, I was looking at the halibut harpoons in shoprite at the same time and they were on sale: one style was on for $30 and a better quality one was on for $69. And there was one $69 dollar one mistakenly labeled with the $30 price tag so I bought it. Not because I’ll ever need it but because he tried to gouge me so bad I felt I needed some kind of payback.

Old Ray was a bit of a legend in Port McNeil. He owned Shoprite as well as the Building Supply store and stores in Alert Bay and Sointula. He was a crusty old fart, but his shop did provide pretty good service to boat owners in the area over the years. He passed away about a month ago.

Sorry to hear of Ray's passing...I always enjoyed his crusty de -meaner , I would just give it back to him which I think he enjoyed it !!! Always great selection of gear and parts

Thanks guys.

It's mostly to kill time and chat to the locals. I'm not bringing my boat or anything while up there for work, but I like to get "souvenirs" from the places I visit. (while I'm not being watched by the gf ;) )

Back