Halibut opening

I will take the 5th at this time, as sometimes i may say some stuff that might get me a timeout, but hey, sometimes it is worth it. As for SG, well what can one say but i want bigger fish, i want to be able to keep more fish, i want i want... Admin i appreciate all you do, must be frustrating as hell sometimes, same with you Derby and Searun, all the time and effort you guys put in is appreciated by me. Oh and FishT, you better not put me on your blocked list or a trip to Tofino will be in order :)

Thanks for steering this forum in difficult times, Admin.

While I’ve had to block some members that have gotten personal with me publicly and via PM I still acknowledge they are entitled to a different opinion than I have. Thats democracy, folks!
Have to agree with Admin summary. What we need are more concrete suggestions and less finger pointing. And like it or not the SFAB process is what the Fisheries Minister turns to for advice. So if you want an opportunity to offer advice or have input then being engaged in the SFAB is an excellent avenue. If that doesn’t strike your fancy then find a group that does and work within those groups to voice your concerns. Pretty simple.

SV is 100 percent correct when it comes to the opportunity being offered directly to Serengeti to participate on the SFAB Halibut Working Group That offer was met with silence which is why I suspect SV is calling out the frustration with the remarks made.

This is kind of like the story of the little boy who constantly cries wolf....or like the Pink Floyd lyric “your lips move but I can’t hear what you say”.

Interestingly some of the concerns and comments made about these issues are not too different from discussions some members of the SFAB had with the Department. We just don’t air the dirty laundry, but can assure you there have been pretty frank discussions

When it comes to Halibut we can expect to see potentially significant TAC reductions next season unless there is a dramatic shift in the abundance data. That will leave us with even more difficult decisions around length of season and size of fish. So the more people we can engage the better our decisions around what to do with an impossible situation

Last edited:
Ukee, This is a private forum. Make no mistake. Its open to the public, labeled as if its public, but it is privately owned and operated. Thus being moderated however it wishes to do so and this moderation for many is done by very few. Which makes it some what of a power house of steering information if they chose so. If I am wrong please let me know.

For example I could be banned for posting this. Simple as that. Banned for being off topic or something.

Nailed it.

Cheers!

Ukee

I have only been a member of this forum for a short time, but, I am beginning to realize that there is a lot of mental masturbation that goes on with the various long time members of the forum and the end result seems to be that nothing really gets accomplished at the end of the day. Maybe that is the purpose of a public forum? To vent frustrations and air opinions with nothing resulting from all these excellent threads? I was hoping that some constructive action by the members would come out of all this discussion, but, I do not see that happening any time soon or forever? It is easy to sit back and do nothing about issues that we feel strongly about, but, unfortunately, that approach is going to be our very undoing.

I will take the 5th at this time, as sometimes i may say some stuff that might get me a timeout, but hey, sometimes it is worth it. As for SG, well what can one say but i want bigger fish, i want to be able to keep more fish, i want i want... Admin i appreciate all you do, must be frustrating as hell sometimes, same with you Derby and Searun, all the time and effort you guys put in is appreciated by me. Oh and FishT, you better not put me on your blocked list or a trip to Tofino will be in order :)

I second that, thank you gents for your times and effort.

I have only been a member of this forum for a short time, but, I am beginning to realize that there is a lot of mental masturbation that goes on with the various long time members of the forum and the end result seems to be that nothing really gets accomplished at the end of the day. Maybe that is the purpose of a public forum? To vent frustrations and air opinions with nothing resulting from all these excellent threads? I was hoping that some constructive action by the members would come out of all this discussion, but, I do not see that happening any time soon or forever? It is easy to sit back and do nothing about issues that we feel strongly about, but, unfortunately, that approach is going to be our very undoing.

I somewhat agree with what you are saying,,,,,, but there have been recommendations from many folks over and over that seem to fall on Closed doors.

Maybe it's not the answer people want to hear..??

That answer is "JOIN A GROUP" that best represents your views. They lobby on our behalf & the more members the louder the voice. I personally chose to go with SFI. Not saying any other groups are not as good. Just a fit for me.

Now that I am a member I also incorage people to join very oprotunity that I can. Any time I'm talking fishing with someone I try to let them know about the challenges we are facing & then encourage them to join a group.

I know it's small, but I have gotten one person this month to sign up with SFI.

Getting behind a group which will lobby is a powerful thing. Just look at the NRA.. Or even the Kinder Morgan line. It's the groups backing the protesters that make them organized & united as a single voice.

If you don't like what any of the organizations are doing then join and push for changes. The same way a political party changes it platform based on its members.

It's $50 to join SFI.... If that's to much money then you are in the wrong sport. Look what we pay to fish. A small investment to hang on to the most important resource we as fisherman/fishergirls have

Last address on the derailed comments that have occurred here. Any forum, or other social media, is only ever going to be a conduit and place to share information that may lead to change, but in and of itself is never going to be the agent of change. However, to say that nothing has ever been accomplished in the way of change because of members taking action from connections made and the sharing of information on this forum or other forms of social media, would be misleading. Many like minded people have banded together for a common cause because of "finding" each other in places just like this one. Many great innovations, new fishing friends, and ways to catch that elusive fish have been found here...which is really why this forum was started in the first place. These are all tremendous benefits that can be derived from being part of a community with like minded people.
Having said that, these communities can also be dumpsters of negativity so a constant balance is hard to maintain, which leads me to my last point on this subject. If you feel that change is necessary in the process of how the sport fishing community deals with DFO, by all means use this forum to find enough like minded people to join in your pursuit to make those changes happen. But, don't expect that change to happen simply because enough members post their ideas or complaints here. If you are truly going to make change you need to get in front of the people who can actually enact that change and, while DFO does have an eye here, they are only agents of government acting on what their masters command them to do.
I have long been a volunteer in the minor hockey world. When people, many who have innovative ideas to better the game for the kids, ask me what to do to make change happen, I always recommend they get involved at an executive board level and spend time learning how things work within the many levels of hockey across Canada. The ones who take the approach of getting educated as to how the machine operates most often survive and do affect change eventually. Those who rush in like a bull usually die from the frustration that comes from the slow pace and lack of response often associated with so many levels of bureaucracy. Now, while Hockey Canada and all of it's Provincial branches can be a frustrating machine to deal with, I can only imagine what it must be like to be dealing with our various governing bodies in the world of fisheries.
I tip my hat to those of you that step up to do it on a daily basis and I invite those of you who have something positive to offer in the way of support or possible change to make the connections through this conduit we offer and let them know what you have to say...just make sure you educate yourself on the process and the issues so you don't get frustrated and burnout before you even start.

Now, back to Halibut and the constructive ideas that might make a difference.

A lot of the forum members are working very hard to bring the real issues to the forefront. I can tell you from past experience that joining the SFI or any other group is not going to get the job done. We have been trying that approach for many years with almost zero results. In fact we are on a slippery slope that is going to destroy our Sportfishery as we have known it in the past. To date, not they are not trying hard, but, the impact of all these SFI type organizations has been somewhat less than impressive to say the least? I think that it is about time that we tried some other approach?

Have to agree with Admin summary. What we need are more concrete suggestions and less finger pointing. And like it or not the SFAB process is what the Fisheries Minister turns to for advice. So if you want an opportunity to offer advice or have input then being engaged in the SFAB is an excellent avenue. If that doesn’t strike your fancy then find a group that does and work within those groups to voice your concerns. Pretty simple.

SV is 100 percent correct when it comes to the opportunity being offered directly to Serengeti to participate on the SFAB Halibut Working Group That offer was met with silence which is why I suspect SV is calling out the frustration with the remarks made.

This is kind of like the story of the little boy who constantly cries wolf....or like the Pink Floyd lyric “your lips move but I can’t hear what you say”.

Interestingly some of the concerns and comments made about these issues are not too different from discussions some members of the SFAB had with the Department. We just don’t air the dirty laundry, but can assure you there have been pretty frank discussions

When it comes to Halibut we can expect to see potentially significant TAC reductions next season unless there is a dramatic shift in the abundance data. That will leave us with even more difficult decisions around length of season and size of fish. So the more people we can engage the better our decisions around what to do with an impossible situation

I was online for 30 seconds today on my phone, "met with silence," sorry I don't live on here. SV is SV, well known around the area by many, I'll leave it at that. But I will absolutely take that offer up without any doubt.

As for my post not giving any solutions it was clearly implied (and actually said in a earlier post on the thread admin, so your statement is false) that we can't sit back and rest on the assumption that if we show we are trying to be conservationists that DFO will respect that be more lenient with us...history has CLEARLY shown that not to be the case (most recently the rockfish/lingcod ruling). Commies and FN get much more by having hard line stances which is what I suggested before.

Last edited:
Excellent, then can we expect to see you at the SFAB South Coast Meeting which is in Nanaimo at the Coast Bastion Hotel Saturday April 7 and Sunday April 8?

BTW the offer was extended to your personal email.

Good post dude.
I’ll never block you although I would welcome a visit

A lot of the forum members are working very hard to bring the real issues to the forefront. I can tell you from past experience that joining the SFI or any other group is not going to get the job done. We have been trying that approach for many years with almost zero results. In fact we are on a slippery slope that is going to destroy our Sportfishery as we have known it in the past. To date, not they are not trying hard, but, the impact of all these SFI type organizations has been somewhat less than impressive to say the least? I think that it is about time that we tried some other approach?

Hi Oldtimer. I am extremely frustrated with the situation at hand too! The future of outdoor recreation and fishing as we know it is in jeopardy from all angles. I have watched many people/friends attempting to intervene politically thru advisory boards, against dfo who runs the train wreck that our fisheries have become. Much of their honourable efforts have resulted in what appears to still be a loosing battle! I wish there was something in my power to change the outcome but... I'm at a loss for ideas! I would go to more meetings myself but my quiet voice never seems to be heard amongst the other more vocal group. It feels like I'm waisting my time. In dfo defense also has been a natural demise of aquatic productivity that they allocate to each hungry user group. It's all so ugly!! Politics trumps logic and science. I think upper management in dfo could use a tune up.
You had mentioned before about a class action suite and slam dunk case? I like the "David vs Goliath" cases where the underdog actually has a chance. As the present situation does appear so dire despite all the efforts. I would like to here what you have in mind? PM me if you want. I am a Canadian bourn citizen and recreational enthusiast who pays a lot of taxes and feels let down by the system. If you have any idea where my efforts could more efficiently benefit the present loosing situation please inform me?

I really hope these new regs do not result in guides buying more quota and I hope everyone who is buying quota rethinks their approach....
Well this year i know of 3 rec fishers who have bought quota, the way it is set up is crazy, be real hard to enforce the poundage caught, price has gone up now to i think $7:50 a lb!!

Many strange things happening. Perhaps if this whole thing boils down to money we the sport people just need to get with the times and cough it up?

Saltwater licences are virtually free. The govt doesn't make much money off us sportfishers directly. Do they make anything off the commercial guys? There's a stumpage fee for cutting trees in the forest, is there a similar fee for harvesting halibut/salmon commercially? Or just a slightly higher cost of licence?

Sell us tags, get rid of the nasty restrictions. We can pay for what we love to do. I suspect the govt is way ahead if they sell us $50 per Hali tags, or even $100 per tag, and many of us will be happy to pay SO LONG AS this nasty over restriction ends. $100 per tag for an adult Hali of any size.

None of these little 40 lb max restrictions. Can't we just buck up and everybody is happy except the commercials who got it all for free? Line the govt coffers a little, give them a budget, maybe they would use it wisely for our benefit even?

The cost of a saltwater licence is an ongoing joke and as Trapper mentioned it is almost free. I have been told that it takes an act of parliament to change the price of a simple recreational saltwater licence? In this day and age, how stupid and crazy is this? Yet, nobody does anything to fix even the simplest problems yet alone fix what is shaping up to be some historic game changing decisions to our fishery in the months ahead. Just goes to show you how bloody broken our system is and how disinterested the DFO is in trying to manage and repair a system that they must know is broken and not working?

Many strange things happening. Perhaps if this whole thing boils down to money we the sport people just need to get with the times and cough it up?

Saltwater licences are virtually free. The govt doesn't make much money off us sportfishers directly. Do they make anything off the commercial guys? There's a stumpage fee for cutting trees in the forest, is there a similar fee for harvesting halibut/salmon commercially? Or just a slightly higher cost of licence?

Sell us tags, get rid of the nasty restrictions. We can pay for what we love to do. I suspect the govt is way ahead if they sell us $50 per Hali tags, or even $100 per tag, and many of us will be happy to pay SO LONG AS this nasty over restriction ends. $100 per tag for an adult Hali of any size.

None of these little 40 lb max restrictions. Can't we just buck up and everybody is happy except the commercials who got it all for free? Line the govt coffers a little, give them a budget, maybe they would use it wisely for our benefit even?

Ya! Great Plan. Money will fix everything. If only we had an experimental licensing system where we could just buy our way into exemption from the effects of the real issues. That would be sure to provide long term stability to dwindling stocks and help ensure future generations have the opportunity to enjoy sport fishing.

Who cares as long as I get what I want NOW!

Awesome

Ya! Great Plan. Money will fix everything. If only we had an experimental licensing system where we could just buy our way into exemption from the effects of the real issues. That would be sure to provide long term stability to dwindling stocks and help ensure future generations have the opportunity to enjoy sport fishing.

Who cares as long as I get what I want NOW!

Awesome
Yeah Jencourt these me...me posts are getting tiring.
Let’s face facts, the biomass is shrinking. Get over it! Until the numbers start improving this is how it is.
The world and our fishery is changing right now, hopefully not forever but now is the time to try and correct things.

I will tell you a little story that I think is relevant to Halibut and all Fishery Management.

So the other night I was at my Local SFAC. We get to the topic of Thompson Steelhead. one member stands up and starts screaming at the DFO biologists the man screaming "How could you let this happen You let these fish die! these fish are going extinct, these fish are going extinct under your watch!" The whole room starts clapping and cheering

The DFO biologist responded " well actually were going to implement a 4 week rolling window of fishing bans this year to protect them"

the whole room went silent and then members stand up saying "how come you're taking our fishery away, we dont want closures, we fish selectively we catch very little steelhead"

The moral of the story. People only want to protect salmon as long as someone else has to stop fishing not them...

And thus were left with a system where we never make the actually cut needed

I doubt that the 4 week rolling closure will be put into place in its DFO biologist vision. Recs,comms and FN are all gonna scream foul at DFO and in the end some small form of the closure will be put into place but it won't result in the stock rebuilding.

Last edited:
Back