Bauer prawn traps

adanac

time for new prawn gear and switching over from commie style to Bauers this season. A few questions , where on the mainland can I purchase them, and also how do you guys weight them. I'm used to running a ring of heavy chain around the base of my commercials witch would work for bauers just wondering if there's any other ways guys weigh them down.

Thanks

I use large flat old zincs I get for free and strap them to the bottom of the traps, about 7-10#s per trap

Last edited:
I put 5 lb bar bell weight in the trap, and hook these up in the center of the bottom of the trap so that it stays right side up on its way down.

Attachments

• IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.JPG
    IMG_6244_zpsjg4q2fmp.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 227
time for new prawn gear and switching over from commie style to Bauers this season. A few questions , where on the mainland can I purchase them, and also how do you guys weight them. I'm used to running a ring of heavy chain around the base of my commercials witch would work for bauers just wondering if there's any other ways guys weigh them down.

Thanks

I see you are in Port Moody and don't know if you get over to Victoria. I have two of the (24 by 24 by 9 inch) Bauer traps for sale. I won them in a Derby a few years back and they are new and have never been used. I would give you a better deal than any retailer, but will have to check the market to set a fair price for both of us if you are interested, and if not, perhaps someone else on the forum may want them, especially in the Victoria area. I understand they are great traps and very popular.

I see you are in Port Moody and don't know if you get over to Victoria. I have two of the (24 by 24 by 9 inch) Bauer traps for sale. I won them in a Derby a few years back and they are new and have never been used. I would give you a better deal than any retailer, but will have to check the market to set a fair price for both of us if you are interested, and if not, perhaps someone else on the forum may want them, especially in the Victoria area. I understand they are great traps and very popular.

Pm sent

Pm sent Rockfish

I don,t weight at all because I hand pull. I put two out seperated by 25' weighted line. Not alot of current where I am. They outfish the stackables I use.

They are a highly effective trap.

One comment, I am not sure if others have noticed. There have been a lot of small rock crabs around in the areas I prawn (primarily Saanich) in the last two years. The crab can get in the doors of the Bauer which are larger than commercial doors. With lots of rock crab it seemed to keep the prawn away (and sometimes they had eaten a bunch). In these cases the commercials were outfishing he bauer (on the same string). I put a zap strap accross each door of the bauer (still lots of room for prawn) and this totally solved the problem (bauer back to outfishing commercial at least two to one.

Back