Halibut opening

I don't no if this has been posted but it looks like the Department has implemented the changes recommended by the SFAB

The 2018 recreational TAC is 927,990 pounds. The following management measures were recommended by the SFAB and adopted for 2018/19 by the Department:

• Season opening on March 1 2018 – this is a month later than in previous years
  • Reduced length for the first fish - 115cm (head-on), down from 133cm (head-on) the previous year; applicable from April 1st 2018 under the conditions of licence for 2018/19
  • The second fish length was unchanged at 83cm
  • The catch limit was unchanged from last year, remaining at 1 per day, with a possession limit of 2, and an annual limit of 6.
  • Note that for the month of March 2018, the fishery will continue under the 2017/18 conditions of licence, which specify the length of the first fish at 133cm; the new length of 115cm will not come into effect until April 1st 2018.
During pre-season consultations with the SFAB held in Richmond on February 2-4 2018, rockfish conservation measures were discussed both in general and specifically in relation to Ouside waters. Descending devices were recommended by the SFAB to aid in the survivability of rockfish that are being returned to the ocean, which would otherwise suffer fatal barotrauma effects. For 2018/19, DFO in collaboration with the SFAB will work to define and promote the use of these devices.

Restrictions to daily catch limits for rockfish were introduced by DFO for the following species:

• Yelloweye – zero retention in Outside Waters
  • Bocaccio – zero retention in Outside Waters
  • A catch limit of three rockfish per day in Outside waters, only one of which may be a China, Tiger, or Quillback rockfish
Note: Outside waters are Management Areas 1 to 11, 21 to 27, 101 to 111, 121 to 127, 130, 142 and Subarea 12-14.

Last edited:
Here are the 2018 Halibut regs for Alaska

New 2018 Regulations for Charter Halibut Anglers

NMFS announces new regulations for the charter halibut fishery in Southeast (Area 2C) and South-central (Area 3A) Alaska for 2018.

Regulations Applicable to Both Areas

Sport fishery season dates: February 1 through December 31, 2018.

Filleting halibut: No person shall possess on board a vessel, including charter vessels and pleasure craft used for fishing, halibut that have been filleted, mutilated, or otherwise disfigured in any manner, except that each halibut may be cut into no more than 2 ventral pieces, 2 dorsal pieces, and 2 cheek pieces, with enough skin on each piece to identify whether the piece is from the light side or the dark side of the fish.

Skipper and crew prohibition: Skipper and crew may not harvest halibut during a charter vessel fishing trip.

Logbook signature requirement: Charter vessel anglers must sign the logbook at the end of the charter vessel fishing trip to verify the numbers of halibut caught and kept.

Allowable gear: Charter vessel anglers may use a single line with no more than 2 hooks attached or a spear to fish for halibut. No other gear types are allowed.

Possession limit: The possession limit is two daily bag limits.

Transporting halibut in excess of possession limit: Halibut in excess of the possession limit may be transported on a vessel that does not contain sport fishing gear, fishing rods, hand lines, or gaffs.

Carcass retention requirement: If a size-restricted halibut is filleted on board the charter vessel, the entire carcass, with head and tail connected as a single piece, must be retained on board the charter vessel on which it was caught until all fillets are offloaded.

Tagged halibut exemption: Halibut with an external IPHC tag will not count against sport daily bag limits or possession limits, can be retained outside of sport fishing seasons, and are not limited to size restrictions.

Area 2C (Southeast Alaska)

One fish daily bag limit: Charter vessel anglers may catch and retain one halibut per day.

NEWReverse slot limit: Retained halibut must be less than or equal to 38 inches or greater than or equal to 80 inches in length. This reverse slot limit allows anglers to keep halibut less than approximately 19 pounds and greater than 208 pounds, after the head and guts have been removed.

Area 3A (South-central Alaska)

Two fish daily bag limit: Charter vessel anglers may catch and retain two halibut per day.

28-inch maximum size limit on one fish: Charter vessel anglers may keep one fish of any size per day and one fish that is no more than 28 inches in length. The 28-inch maximum size limit allows anglers to keep a second fish that weighs approximately 7 pounds, after the head and guts have been removed.

Trip limit: Charter vessels may only take one trip during which charter vessel anglers retain halibut per day. Charter halibut permits may only be used for one charter halibut fishing trip per day during which charter vessel anglers retain halibut.

4-fish annual limit: Charter anglers may catch and retain no more than 4 halibut in a calendar year on charter vessel fishing trips in Area 3A. This annual limit does not apply to halibut caught while fishing without a guide, charter fishing in Area 2C, or halibut caught as GAF. Anglers are required to record halibut caught on charter vessel fishing trips in Area 3A on the back of the fishing license or harvest record card.

Wednesday closure: Charter vessel anglers may not catch and retain halibut (except GAF) on Wednesdays.

NEW Tuesday closure: Charter vessel anglers may not catch and retain halibut (except GAF) on six Tuesdays in 2018: July 10, July 17, July 24, July 31, August 7, and August 14.

Guided Angler Fish (GAF)

Charter vessel operators who choose to participate in the GAF program may offer their clients the opportunity to harvest up to two halibut of any size per day. GAF may also be used to exceed the 4-fish annual limit and to charter fish on Wednesdays in Area 3A. Special regulations apply for GAF halibut.

Figure 1. Recreational reverse slot limit for halibut retained on board a charter vessel in Regulatory Area 2C.

Figure 2. Recreational maximum size limit for one fish in two-fish bag limit for halibut retained on board a charter vessel in Regulatory Area 3A. If only one halibut is retained, it may be of any size.

This guide summarizes regulations for charter halibut fisheries in Alaska. If you are required to comply with the regulations, you should consult and rely on the actual regulatory text. Please refer to the regulations under 50 CFR 300 or contact NMFS at 907-586-7228 or 907-586-7225. Other information is available on the NMFS Alaska Region website at http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/fisheries/sport-halibut and at https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/node/58256.

Want to help select charter halibut annual management measures?

Join the Council’s Charter Management Implementation Committee!

For more information:

http://www.npfmc.org/committees

I don't no if this has been posted but it looks like the Department has implemented the changes recommended by the SFAB

The 2018 recreational TAC is 927,990 pounds. The following management measures were recommended by the SFAB and adopted for 2018/19 by the Department:

• Reduced length for the first fish - 115cm (head-on), down from 133cm (head-on) the previous year; applicable from April 1st 2018 under the conditions of licence for 2018/19
  • The catch limit was unchanged from last year, remaining at 1 per day, with a possession limit of 2, and an annual limit of 6.
  • Note that for the month of March 2018, the fishery will continue under the 2017/18 conditions of licence, which specify the length of the first fish at 133cm; the new length of 115cm will not come into effect until April 1st 2018.
During pre-season consultations with the SFAB held in Richmond on February 2-4 2018, rockfish conservation measures were discussed both in general and specifically in relation to Ouside waters. Descending devices were recommended by the SFAB to aid in the survivability of rockfish that are being returned to the ocean, which would otherwise suffer fatal barotrauma effects. For 2018/19, DFO in collaboration with the SFAB will work to define and promote the use of these devices.

Restrictions to daily catch limits for rockfish were introduced by DFO for the following species:

• A catch limit of three rockfish per day in Outside waters, only one of which may be a China, Tiger, or Quillback rockfish
Note: Outside waters are Management Areas 1 to 11, 21 to 27, 101 to 111, 121 to 127, 130, 142 and Subarea 12-14.

The no yellow eye retention blows my mind considering they have not implemented descending devises!!??? Cart before the horse... Area's #1 & #142 are packed with Yellow eye when ever I am fishing them. Also they are BIG! It will be a shame to see them floating everywhere. (West coast resorts has mandated descending devices on the boats already.)

For what its worth... I recommend any one who is going to use a guide or charter should make sure first that they have a desending device. Lastly make sure they treat the fish well when using it.

I am going to bring out the electric reel & target some shortrackers in lieu of Yellow eye.

The no yellow eye retention blows my mind considering they have not implemented descending devises!!??? Cart before the horse... Area's #1 & #142 are packed with Yellow eye when ever I am fishing them. Also they are BIG! It will be a shame to see them floating everywhere. (West coast resorts has mandated descending devices on the boats already.)

For what its worth... I recommend any one who is going to use a guide or charter should make sure first that they have a desending device. Lastly make sure they treat the fish well when using it.

I am going to bring out the electric reel & target some shortrackers in lieu of Yellow eye.

The thing you have to realize about DFO when it comes to gear regulations like this is if its not already in the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations. In order to be enforced by federal law, that politicians it Ottawa have to write it into law and the vote and pass it.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/index.html

Actually. What dfo did when it comes to rockfish is take that sfab recommended and only actually implement the things that restrict us further. Again, shooting ourselves in the foot. Dfo did not increase rockfish limits to 5 per day or increase lingcod limits to 3 per day like sfab suggested (or descending but that may take longer)... look look, We are all for conservation as a sector...yeah. This again proves the streategy of trying to show this will have dfo respect us and go easy on us sure works. What a joke.

Actually. What dfo did when it comes to rockfish is take that sfab recommended and only actually implement the things that restrict us further. Again, shooting ourselves in the foot. Dfo did not increase rockfish limits to 5 per day or increase lingcod limits to 3 per day like sfab suggested (or descending but that may take longer)... look look, We are all for conservation as a sector...yeah. This again proves the streategy of trying to show this will have dfo respect us and go easy on us sure works. What a joke.

Here comes the mouth again. Get involved or shut up.

All I know is that you were personally given a chance to be involved. You turned it down than continue to drag anyone who is a volunteer through the mud. There was a meeting in Nanaimo last week wher you? Nope not there. Why I am speaking up? I don't want prespective people to get on here and hear you moaning and whining when you have had every chance to voice concerns. It gets old and I am not the only one. Grow up.

Last edited:
All I know is that you were personally given a chance to be involved. You turned it down than continue to drag anyone who is a volunteer through the mud. There was a meeting in Nanaimo last week where we you? Nope not there. Why I am speaking up? I don't want perspective people to get on hear and here you moaning and whining when you have every chance to voice concerns. It gets old and I am not the only one. Grow up.

Where is the like button :)

All I know is that you were personally given a chance to be involved. You turned it down than continue to drag anyone who is a volunteer through the mud. There was a meeting in Nanaimo last week where we you? Nope not there. Why I am speaking up? I don't want perspective people to get on hear and here you moaning and whining when you have every chance to voice concerns. It gets old and I am not the only one. Grow up.

I was in Salt Lake City like I have been that same weekend for the past 10 years at a trade show...do you have a teleporter I can borrow? People have other things going in their life that may be going on at the same time as one meeting every 6 months that is the only way you can "get involved" is if you are there in person, with technology nowadays sure seems like an archaic way to get the masses involved...

As for growing up, you're the only one swearing and calling people names consistently in this thread, so maybe take your own advice. Plus you haven't answered my question just like I predicted...

I was in Salt Lake City like I have been that same weekend for the past 10 years at a trade show...do you have a teleporter I can borrow? People have other things going in their life that may be going on at the same time as one meeting every 6 months that is the only way you can "get involved" is if you are there in person, with technology nowadays sure seems like an archaic way to get the masses involved...

As for growing up, you're the only one swearing and calling people names consistently in this thread, so maybe take your own advice. Plus you haven't answered my question just like I predicted...

Thanks again you made my point.

Built your list of all your worldly questions and wisdom u have.. I'm going to give u this one time offer.. I will personal tee up a SIT down meeting with those who can answer the questions u have.... but as for asking these questions on a forum & expecting answers ????

Same old same old lame refrain when legitimate concerns are raised - not everyone buys into the sfab/c process, nor should they if they feel it doesn’t fit with their views of how sportfish engagement should be occurring in 2018. This is also a public forum and this is the section specifically set up to discuss or voice opinions on this sort of subject matter.

As such, folks should stop with the bullying of those with opinions that differ from your own and simply stfu unless you have legitimate points to discuss or debate with other individuals.

A question for Admin - you don’t tolerate such off topic personal attacks, such as those directed at Serengeti, on the political or aquaculture threads but the defenders of the sfab/c process continually get away with it on the Fisheries mgmt threads, even though the sole purpose is to shout down, drown out and or shame the person with no discourse on the topic raised - why is this?

Again, this is a public forum to discuss topics that interest and affect us all as sportfishers. As we’re a diverse group we won’t always agree or have the same view on our sectors issues. That is no excuse to not be open to the discussion of all viewpoints. The old, tired “get involved or your views/comments aren’t valid” refrain is childish at best - again, why not be civil and address the issue, not the individual, and present your view/opinion?

Thanks for exprsssing your views and information Serengeti, Many of us appreciate reading multiple positions on these issues and the various facts in support of those different views- goes a long way to help individuals develop properly informed opinions!

Cheers!

Ukee

Ukee, This is a private forum. Make no mistake. Its open to the public, labeled as if its public, but it is privately owned and operated. Thus being moderated however it wishes to do so and this moderation for many is done by very few. Which makes it some what of a power house of steering information if they chose so. If I am wrong please let me know.

For example I could be banned for posting this. Simple as that. Banned for being off topic or something.

Same old same old lame refrain when legitimate concerns are raised - not everyone buys into the sfab/c process, nor should they if they feel it doesn’t fit with their views of how sportfish engagement should be occurring in 2018. This is also a public forum and this is the section specifically set up to discuss or voice opinions on this sort of subject matter.

As such, folks should stop with the bullying of those with opinions that differ from your own and simply stfu unless you have legitimate points to discuss or debate with other individuals.

A question for Admin - you don’t tolerate such off topic personal attacks, such as those directed at Serengeti, on the political or aquaculture threads but the defenders of the sfab/c process continually get away with it on the Fisheries mgmt threads, even though the sole purpose is to shout down, drown out and or shame the person with no discourse on the topic raised - why is this?

Again, this is a public forum to discuss topics that interest and affect us all as sportfishers. As we’re a diverse group we won’t always agree or have the same view on our sectors issues. That is no excuse to not be open to the discussion of all viewpoints. The old, tired “get involved or your views/comments aren’t valid” refrain is childish at best - again, why not be civil and address the issue, not the individual, and present your view/opinion?

Thanks for exprsssing your views and information Serengeti, Many of us appreciate reading multiple positions on these issues and the various facts in support of those different views- goes a long way to help individuals develop properly informed opinions!

Cheers!

Ukee

Well said.

I am not choosing any sides. I just agree with the argument. I can appreciate different view points. It helps anyone to come to a decision on their own.

I definitely don't always like opposing views & am guilty of reacting emotionally. There has been a few times after sober thought it's made me see things differently.

Last edited:
Well I think there is definitely some frustration for the way the current system is set up. By design it does seem to put Area vs Area on some issues like Chinook. Their is also a number of sports fishing groups that have formed to advocate for their areas like the Fraser River Sports Fishing Alliance or South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition.

Groups like the SFI and BCWF seem to advocate for all. SFI seems to be more advocate based while the BCWF seems to be more conservation based.

Then there is the government SFAC and SFAB process to engage the sports fishing community. The SFAC and SFAB committees are formed with people from industry like guides,sports fishing shops but their is also members from the public that sit on them and people from groups like the SFI,SVIAC,BCWF,FRFA.

What I deem not acceptable is attacking members of all these groups online. These members are volunteers that get paid nothing and put countless hours in. Its their choice to share the information online. Im sure most of them would rather not share anything, After all why would you want to with others that choose not to get involved any only complain?

I understand the frustration many they see the social media campaigns of ENGO that seem to be overpowering the government. I think it's only natural that the sports fishing community get on
board and they to have similar online campaigns. The only group currently I see capable of pulling this off would be the SFI. However, SFI needs membership and money to do this.

Correct me where im wrong but that's my interpretation of is all.

Well...here we go again. Was just going to go in and clean up this mess but will waste more of my time answering questions that have been addressed before.

Ukee's statement.

"Same old same old lame refrain when legitimate concerns are raised - not everyone buys into the sfab/c process, nor should they if they feel it doesn’t fit with their views of how sportfish engagement should be occurring in 2018. This is also a public forum and this is the section specifically set up to discuss or voice opinions on this sort of subject matter."

So, speaking of same old refrain, Serengetti once again does nothing in his post to offer up an opinion or facts of any kind that might be something that could be used to sway the decisions made by DFO regarding rock fish, (which isn't the topic of this thread btw) but does absolutely take another swipe at the volunteer boards to remind them all of what failures they are. I see no questions asked or no offer of a possible solution. I do see another attack with a "you guys suck" mantra firmly in place. Then, given the amount of times this has occurred in the past, out of frustration, SV lashes out in a personal way. We don't get to it in time to clean it up before you and Birdsnest take it upon yourselves to remind us of how unfair we can be and now here we are explaining ourselves once again. Just so you know, if you see something you think is out of line in the future, there is a report button to use for situations like this. It does get used, and brings things like this to our attention, so we can often deal with it before things get out of hand. As to the insinuation that we somehow do not treat everyone with an even hand, you are entitled to your opinion for sure, but we do the best we can to stay on top of these situations before they get out of control and you certainly have no idea of who gets warned, edited or have their posts removed because you simply never see them before they are gone.

So, was going to clean it up, but will leave it here for reference purposes. Now, let's get back on topic, which is Halibut, keep the personal crap out of the posts, and carry on, as there are many reasons to get out and enjoy life today I'm sure.

Well...here we go again. Was just going to go in and clean up this mess but will waste more of my time answering questions that have been addressed before.

Ukee's statement.

"Same old same old lame refrain when legitimate concerns are raised - not everyone buys into the sfab/c process, nor should they if they feel it doesn’t fit with their views of how sportfish engagement should be occurring in 2018. This is also a public forum and this is the section specifically set up to discuss or voice opinions on this sort of subject matter."

So, speaking of same old refrain, Serengetti once again does nothing in his post to offer up an opinion or facts of any kind that might be something that could be used to sway the decisions made by DFO regarding rock fish, (which isn't the topic of this thread btw) but does absolutely take another swipe at the volunteer boards to remind them all of what failures they are. I see no questions asked or no offer of a possible solution. I do see another attack with a "you guys suck" mantra firmly in place. Then, given the amount of times this has occurred in the past, out of frustration, SV lashes out in a personal way. We don't get to it in time to clean it up before you and Birdsnest take it upon yourselves to remind us of how unfair we can be and now here we are explaining ourselves once again. Just so you know, if you see something you think is out of line in the future, there is a report button to use for situations like this. It does get used, and brings things like this to our attention, so we can often deal with it before things get out of hand. As to the insinuation that we somehow do not treat everyone with an even hand, you are entitled to your opinion for sure, but we do the best we can to stay on top of these situations before they get out of control and you certainly have no idea of who gets warned, edited or have their posts removed because you simply never see them before they are gone.

So, was going to clean it up, but will leave it here for reference purposes. Now, let's get back on topic, which is Halibut, keep the personal crap out of the posts, and carry on, as there are many reasons to get out and enjoy life today I'm sure.
Thanks for steering this forum in difficult times, Admin.

While I’ve had to block some members that have gotten personal with me publicly and via PM I still acknowledge they are entitled to a different opinion than I have. Thats democracy, folks!

Back