Boat sinks fast pulling traps

That sure looked like a small boat for that size four stroke motor, plus backing into the waves was just a recipe for disaster! Good thing they had a fire extinguisher tho! :rolleyes:

The cooler started floating at the 7:50 min mark ,before they even got to the last float. The guy on camera was looking at the water in the boat and cooler floating and did nothing.They had floating line with no weights holding the line out of the way of other boaters.My sinking line for prawn /crab gets snaged on rock faces at times and I need to tie the line off andpull the snag free with power from the boat the other way from the tide and wind.When you power down the line pulls you backward into the worst imaginable feeling.I had a close call to sinking the 14' doing that.Never seen it happen so quickly.FC

I was going to glass up my bilge vents, figured no reason for holes in the side of the hull with a pod. Then I figured they are pretty high up and the stainless lovers look pretty good. Well I decided to cover all the holes with aluminum sheet before I saw this however..... But yeah, the floating cooler should have been an indication there were more pressing matters than bringing the pots in. At least they had a cooler full of crab to hang onto.

Number 1 thing that save your life is to wear a life jacket. In our cold water you can have up to an hour in most places with a life jacket on and maybe less than a few minutes if you swallow some water and go into cold shock. Goggle cold water shock studies and you will likely rethink wearing PDF or better yet life jackets.

So. After realizing that your boat is starting to sink, what's the best bail-out(no pun intended) plan? I would tell everybody to hang on and gun it to get the bow into the waves, then start running pumps, bailing etc.

You either react correctly or you don't.

On my boats everyone knows not to be between me and the controls. And that there is a **** off sharp knife on deck and it is mine.

When you are in the ****, you do not talk about the ****, you just get your **** done.

Gillnetting the Fraser River for over 30 years results in a short list of red lines.

As for your specific question, it depends. If you have a soft shore nearby, beach it. In the deep, cut it. And then there is everything in between.

They would have been fine if they would have hauled there gear going forward against the swell instead of backwards

YES but thats just a crab trap imagine anchoring for halibut. **** happens fast. hopefully someone will see this and will see the lesson learned !!! I see people trying to anchor on a full moon tide and think WTF are they doing most dangerous time to even think about that. be safe and think before you do

Wolf

YES but thats just a crab trap imagine anchoring for halibut. **** happens fast. hopefully someone will see this and will see the lesson learned !!! I see people trying to anchor on a full moon tide and think WTF are they doing most dangerous time to even think about that. be safe and think before you do

Wolf
What they did is essentially anchor from the stern.

UMM yeah i can see that point im saying its just a trap not a anchor and see how easily it went down....

REALLY SAD AND REALLY SCARY THOSE GUYS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE WATER IN A BOAT IF THEY WERE OFFSHORE ANY DISTANCE THEY MIGHT HAVE DIED VERY SAD I LL LAUGH AND JOKE AT MOST THINGS BUT THAT WAS TRAGIC

Thankful for them for posting it, such a great learning tool, every single one of them has no experience. panic and couldn't
grasp what was unfolding right in front of there eye's....

Watched it a few more times and camera angles don't give you the whole picture, i think they would have been ok MAYBE! if
they weren't #1 all on the starboard side including the driver i bet ? #2 kicker on the starboard side heavy #3 pot puller on the starboard side
that's a lot of weight if you ask me, add the pressure of pulling the pot.

Even at the beginning of the video there was water coming in on the starboard side and the boat is listing heavy. over loaded starboard.
the backing up did them in.

Last edited:
Also speaks to think about the boat you should buy for the tasks you expect it to do...safely. If that boat had a well it would not have been so sensitive to a quick flood. People generally are also clueless as to how fast fire will overcome you. Most people have the minimum size extinguisher which is next to useless in a gasoline fire. A 2 1/2 pound extinguishers gives you about 5-7 seconds of powder out the nozzle, a 5lb about 15 seconds....that is it!!

Was always told a 2 lb fire extinguisher is just enough to almost put a small fire out. Almost, but not enough.

Back