Scotty downrigger 1106 or 2106

So how long does the braid last before you need to replace it. How would that compare with the wire life.

1 day -???. Depends how often you get out, how often you hang up on bottom, how many times you cut a bunch off in the kicker, how many times it jumps off the pulley or gets jammed under the spool, how many crab pots you drag up, how many times you cross your balls, any nicks in your pulley? etc....
Once you've been through the learning curve, you'll get many, many years out of it.
Longer than the wires I've used, but lots of guys are happy with wire.

That sounds like a good tip.
Thanks.
Are the 2106 s really noticably quieter than the 1106 , the 1106 speed is still pretty good with the lower amp draw which is a plus . Thought I read some posts about the display being hard to read in certain conditions can any one comment on any issues to be aware of..

Ive have both the 1106 and 2106 lots of good feedback on here about both of them.Ive been using the 1106 since he beginning of time and they are tried and proven over the years,not many issues for the amount of HARD TIME I put on them each year.

The 2106 counter displays have had some problems in the past I was told that scotty has rectified the problem like pescador said its a thing of the past,I purchased mine when they first came out and did run into issues of the counter going blank or not reading properly so I keep an entire new lid on board so any issues its a 30 second fix, change out the top back in the game.The reason for the counters dying is there is a battery in the counter so you need to turn them off when not using them to conserve the battery.

Also was told by scotty that 400 ft of wire or braid is maximum for the plastic spools to handle, any more and they will warp and crack believe me I learned the hard way,when the spool gets fooked up your rigger is toast till you fix it

Love the speed of the 2106 just make sure you have THREE plastic stops in a line so it will stop !!!! otherwise buy buy cannon balls and terminal tackle because that is what you will be doing.Once they are set up properly and your used to them they are unbelievable !!!! Especially for a guide like myself when fishing 180-250 sometimes 280 on the rigger off the kyuquot whales tale on the salmon highway.

Tight Lines
Billydoo

Thanks for the Info. guy's appreciate the feedback . I'm trying to rig a new to me boat and now going through the sticker shock of I need alot of stuff.
LOL
So it sure helps to get the right stuff and a plan , thanks to all for the input.
Mike

Any thoughts guy's on the wire Vs. braid debate with respect to Voltage and wire outfishing braid as a result of inducing voltage in the wire.
How many guy's are actually using the blackbox or check the wire voltage on your boats

Any thoughts guy's on the wire Vs. braid debate with respect to Voltage and wire outfishing braid as a result of inducing voltage in the wire.
How many guy's are actually using the blackbox or check the wire voltage on your boats

For me, I’ve caught way more fish since I switched to braid. Can’t say that is the reason why but it has been significant. I’d never run wire again, such a PITA.

The correct answer is whatever works for you is whats best for you. I prefer braid. It doesnt kink or rust, its not sharp, theres no need for swivels or clips or crimps or rubber stops or snubbers with swivels and clips and crimps! Just braid on a spool with a knot to some paracord, so simple.

Wire plus box all the way! Braid is for the fishing reel not the downrigger. Fish like a man and you will catch more and bigger fish! Trust me!

Unless you want to sacrifice a dozen or so balls at first before you get the hang of braid, stick with the trusted wire. Worked for decades, very robust and forgiving, cheap and you can dial in your voltage.

So I'm going to buy a pair of electric downriggers now I don't know which model or if I should get wire or Braid ... Thanks LOL
Only have 2 balls 1 spare if I lose one

Last edited:
Back