Boat sinks fast pulling traps

At 12:14 in the video a Hali swims by (top right of the video screen) to check out the boat falling from the sky to make it's new life on the ocean bottom.

So so many horrible mistakes made here. Very lucky no one was trapped with the boat going down. That would have been horrific to watch unfold.

Good advertising for Go Pro though. Very water proof by the looks of it.

When water is too rough for the boat get the traps another day. $300 worth of gear ain't worth the risks.

Wholly! Let the fricking trap go!

Hopefully we can all at least learn something. Do we know for sure that they all survived ok?

Also a good reason for always having your lifejackets on. **** happens fast...

A friend of mine was out with 2 of his buddies shrimping in his Bayliner Trophy, outboard model. The wind picked up so they decided to pull the pots and head in. When they started pulling in the pot it turned the stern into the waves just exactly like this video. The boat went down in seconds and all three struggled to get out from under the canopy. They all had life jackets on and were lucky enough to get out and swim to the surface. Someone from shore saw what happened and they were picked up in a few minutes. They all came within seconds of dying that day. Since they were shrimping in deep water, the boat was never seen again.

The ty-wraps floating by looked very "fishy".

Too funny, I briefly thought, "wow, what are those fish, they look like zip ties!"

I agree with a lot of the above too. A number of mistakes happened, the biggest of which was no situational awareness. It was over 2 minutes before he clued in that something was wrong, something as simple as "why is the cooler floating" or, "why is the transom below the waterline"?

Once things reach a tipping point, you're SOL. They could have saved this from happening, even without having a clue before. The life jacket comment is so important. At least wear an inflatable at all times as something is better than nothing.

It appears what finally actually sank them was buddy leaning way out over the transom putting it under the waterline for good.

It appears what finally actually sank them was buddy leaning way out over the transom putting it under the waterline for good.
as usual in accidents , this was the last mistake in a series of avoidable idiocies.

So. After realizing that your boat is starting to sink, what's the best bail-out(no pun intended) plan? I would tell everybody to hang on and gun it to get the bow into the waves, then start running pumps, bailing etc.

I think his motor stalled or maybe the battery shorted out near the end there. Certainly it's the safest to be under power going forwards into the waves if you can manage it while you sort out a plan.

This video is a good reminder that a low splash well transom is not ideal for the great big ocean.

Back