Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Thanks for letting us know I know of clipped chinook guys were catching in Howe sound and they just assumed they were Columbia fish I hope they turned in their heads.
Squamish Chinook from Tenderfoot Creek hatchery have also only been tagged and clipped for 4 or 5 years, so they would be showing up in Howe Sound the past couple of years as well. But you are right, there is a decent chance clipped fish could have been Puget Sound, or Cowichan, or many other stocks. Check out BonCHovy's instagram page, he has the tag results from all of the clipped fish they caught last year. A bit of a mixed bag, but many Capilano hatchery fish.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeHfFTfn_g7/?taken-by=bonchovyfishingcharters

Squamish Chinook from Tenderfoot Creek hatchery have also only been tagged and clipped for 4 or 5 years, so they would be showing up in Howe Sound the past couple of years as well. But you are right, there is a decent chance clipped fish could have been Puget Sound, or Cowichan, or many other stocks. Check out BonCHovy's instagram page, he has the tag results from all of the clipped fish they caught last year. A bit of a mixed bag, but many Capilano hatchery fish.

Is the data for the coast wide CWT recoveries available online somewhere?

Haven’t the guides in Vancouver been running a net pen project using Harrison stock out Vancouver Harbor. This is been going on for years is their no data on the returns or the successes of it?

I caught a chinook last year that was from that net pen.

Generally very poor participation in turning in heads. It’s a very simple way to help. But don’t be surprised if 90 percent or more do not have a tag. Very few of mine ever do. But they are very fast at getting u a report summarizing the result. I get several emails with data reports through out the season which is very cool to see where the fish that do have CWTs come from.

The Avid Angler program is another great way u can catch and sample fish. They catch sample and release fish - even undersized. The DNA data is extremely helpful. If u are on the water a lot please consider it.

The AA program is especially needing people who fish Areas 18/19/20.

Is the data for the coast wide CWT recoveries available online somewhere?
Here is where all the data is held but you will have a steep learning curve to access the data. It can be done as I have used it many years ago but I'm experienced in such things.
http://www.rmpc.org/home.html

So politicians can reference them like below. I received this earlier in the week after writing my MP.

Dear Mr. X,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the potential impact of conservation efforts on sport fishing in BC. I have heard your concerns and wish to share them with the appropriate ministry. I have therefore forwarded your concerns to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

In a recent meeting with UBC whale researcher Dr. Andrew Trites, we discussed the research findings about the role of Chinook catch in Southern Resident Killer Whale (SRKW) population challenges. His conclusion is similar to yours. Our government convened a meeting of experts such as Dr. Trites in a two day Whale Symposium to better understand the research.

I am confident our minister will be making decisions based on the best available scientific findings.

Best regards,

Joyce Murray, MP
Vancouver Quadra
More ******** verbal diarrhea.

Last week 100 FN Chiefs from along the Fraser River met to discuss the massive problem of the seal infestation into the Fraser River. The problem of the thousands of seals eating the salmon smolts, in the River has reached epic proportions on the Fraser and many of its tributaries and they are now as far inland as Yale. They are also in the Vedder and Harrison river systems. On Vancouver Island they are wrecking havoc with the salmon smolts in the Campbell River, Big and Little Qualicum, Chemanis, Puntledge and Stamp systems just to name a few. I have asked the question of whether the seals still fall under the jurisdiction of the DFO once they enter fresh water? I maybe wrong on this but I think that the huge seal problem on the Puntledge River in Courtenay was temporarily solved by the BC Fish and Game Department and not the DFO?

Last edited:
After decades of knowing what a devastating affect that the Seals and Sea Lions were having on the salmon stocks why haven't the DFO done anything?

Hope this is a wake-up call to as many Forum members as possible to get engaged and involved! We need more fisherman to be involved with the SFAB process and to also stay in touch with their members of parliament to express their concerns. It's easy to sit back and criticize on a forum.

Last edited:
Haven’t the guides in Vancouver been running a net pen project using Harrison stock out Vancouver Harbor. This is been going on for years is their no data on the returns or the successes of it?

There is one also at north shore. The kinder morgan net pen needs volunteers to feed the smolts and administer meds now and then. 15,000 pieces being released soon. Call the local community advisor, Scott if you can help out.

There talks of closing down hatchery efforts on the capilano and other harbour hatcheries for Chinook salmon. They are not native to those watersheds.

Back