VHF FM 16 - Stupid People

Da Bay Bye

I was out Saturday afternoon in the Kitty Coleman area and was angered by a few things.

Someone blocked channel 16 for about 3 minutes while they played a recording of Bagpipe music. That was not funny and I am sure the Coast Guard were not amused. They have a hard enough time with people using channel 16 as a chat channel. Do people not realize that during that time someone could have had an emergency and that could be their only time to get help. Really Stupid.

A little while later someone got on 16 to say they fell and hit their head and thought they had a concussion and were just going to lay down and hope they wake up tomorrow. When Victoria responded, they replied by saying they were OK and would not need help, like it was just a joke . They did not identify themselves and sounded more like they were entertaining themselves on the radio. Again Stupid.

To top it off, as I was leaving the area around 4 PM, a small dark grey boat set off a red distress flare and then speed off. Do people not realize that someone from shore could have seen that and started a search in the area dragging emergency resources away from other potential emergencies. This is emergency equipment, not toys for your entertainment. Total butt move.

Play safe out there, but don't play with your emergency equipment, it could save your life someday.

I was out Saturday afternoon in the Kitty Coleman area and was angered by a few things.

Someone blocked channel 16 for about 3 minutes while they played a recording of Bagpipe music. That was not funny and I am sure the Coast Guard were not amused. They have a hard enough time with people using channel 16 as a chat channel. Do people not realize that during that time someone could have had an emergency and that could be their only time to get help. Really Stupid.

A little while later someone got on 16 to say they fell and hit their head and thought they had a concussion and were just going to lay down and hope they wake up tomorrow. When Victoria responded, they replied by saying they were OK and would not need help, like it was just a joke . They did not identify themselves and sounded more like they were entertaining themselves on the radio. Again Stupid.

To top it off, as I was leaving the area around 4 PM, a small dark grey boat set off a red distress flare and then speed off. Do people not realize that someone from shore could have seen that and started a search in the area dragging emergency resources away from other potential emergencies. This is emergency equipment, not toys for your entertainment. Total butt move.

Play safe out there, but don't play with your emergency equipment, it could save your life someday.
I have been boating for 45 plus years and this is only getting worse . Your comments are very well put , if only these idiots would read your comments. Probably the only way some may stop this is ,when they are the ones needing the help. Then they might show a little more respect for are emergency services. Not that I am wishing any ill fate on anyone.

They need to make the radio course mandatory in conjuction with the operators card. You are supposed to have but probably upwards from 80% dont have it. So what do you expect.

They need to make the radio course mandatory in conjuction with the operators card. You are supposed to have but probably upwards from 80% dont have it. So what do you expect.
I thought the ROC-M *is* mandatory. Doesn't seem to be helping though.

IMO the whole boat licensing thing is stupid. Should be the Power Squadron course with ROC course. I have boated since the age of 5-6, had my 1st boat at 10. A old plywood boat with a Seagull outboard. Thought I knew it all till I took a Power Squadron course. Since then I taken half a dozen courses and by far the best one is the PS course even the SVOP and MED-3 is just a rehash of the PS course.
Can’t get your drivers license till you do the whole L and N thing, but get boat answer 40 stupid questions and your good to go. Surprised we don’t see more stupid **** happen out there.

IMO the whole boat licensing thing is stupid. Should be the Power Squadron course with ROC course. I have boated since the age of 5-6, had my 1st boat at 10. A old plywood boat with a Seagull outboard. Thought I knew it all till I took a Power Squadron course. Since then I taken half a dozen courses and by far the best one is the PS course even the SVOP and MED-3 is just a rehash of the PS course.
Can’t get your drivers license till you do the whole L and N thing, but get boat answer 40 stupid questions and your good to go. Surprised we don’t see more stupid **** happen out there.

Exactly same feelings. Everyone has to get drivers license but whines about taking a full course. That is why we have that stupid online multiple choice test. I am sorry but if you cant pass the squadron course you shouldn't be on the water. My reasoning are comments from a close person with a boat with "What is a range? This is from someone who comes in and out of sooke harbour frequently. Its scary people get GPS and radar and cant navigate without. Same goes with the radio. Its isn't just to talk on channel 68 and 71 about how fishing is.

I thought the ROC-M *is* mandatory. Doesn't seem to be helping though.

Nope not any more

Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
  • the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.
If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.

Maritime Radio
Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons (CPS)

The Maritime Radio course teaches emergency radio procedures and everyday operating techniques. Learn all about the uses of marine radios, choice of frequencies, operation, phonetic alphabet, procedural words and phrases, as well as Digital Selective Calling and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System, (DSC/GMDSS). All mariners, including recreational boaters, will want to take advantage of the many features and capabilities of this innovative form “automatic” radio. Secure your lifeline. Be sure that you and your family take the Maritime Radio course.

This complete package with CD, and the new Digital Selective Calling, will prepare you for the Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime) with DSC Endorsement exam. To operate a maritime radio, you need the certificate. It's the law!

Maritime Radio
Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons (CPS)

The Maritime Radio course teaches emergency radio procedures and everyday operating techniques. Learn all about the uses of marine radios, choice of frequencies, operation, phonetic alphabet, procedural words and phrases, as well as Digital Selective Calling and the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System, (DSC/GMDSS). All mariners, including recreational boaters, will want to take advantage of the many features and capabilities of this innovative form “automatic” radio. Secure your lifeline. Be sure that you and your family take the Maritime Radio course.

This complete package with CD, and the new Digital Selective Calling, will prepare you for the Restricted Operator Certificate (Maritime) with DSC Endorsement exam. To operate a maritime radio, you need the certificate. It's the law!

Ok do I ever feel dumb. When I registered my DSC the government guy said I didn't need a license , and said nothing about a certificate. I go the government page and find the paragraph I posted earlier. https://www.ic.gcs.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html
Read past the portable radios section on past the Station Identification section ALLL the way to the bottom and there it is. You need the certificate to operate a radio, but not a license.
Sorry If I confused anyone. Thanks for making me look further @Trophy

Certification
Do I still require a Radio Operator Certificate?

Yes. The Radio Operator Certificate is still a requirement for anyone who may be operating the maritime radio equipment, regardless of whether a radio licence is required.

How do I obtain a certificate?

Candidates for the Radio Operator Certificate must successfully complete an examination. Courses and exams are given by the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. You can contact them via their web site: http://www.cps-ecp.ca/.

Just turning the radio on to listen to the weather constitutes "operating" and for that you do need the certificate.

It would be an interesting concept to include a radio chapter in the POC. Teach the basics, and give an endorsement that allows you to possess a radio for weather use and urgency calls only. For general chit chat on working frequencies you must posses your ROC.

Does a ROC-A meet marine requirements?

The rules may have changed, but when I looked at this a few years ago, the ROC-A does not fulfill the requirement for a ROC-M for marine VHF.
The ROC-A is more rigorous, but the channels and frequencies that are 'reserved' for various maritime user groups are particular to marine VHF.

The rules may have changed, but when I looked at this a few years ago, the ROC-A does not fulfill the requirement for a ROC-M for marine VHF.
The ROC-A is more rigorous, but the channels and frequencies that are 'reserved' for various maritime user groups are particular to marine VHF.
I have an ROC-A-much more rigorous than an M but still had to get an M

Back