Liberal Firearm Committee Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Scheer’s gun policies include firearms ombudsman, taking power from RCMP
Laura Stone
Ottawa
Published March 12, 2018
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...cies-include-firearms-ombudsman-taking-power/
I can relate to some of the arbitrary decisions. I had to recently rebarrel a pistol that my brother had been keeping for me. When I bought it it was sold as a 4” restricted firearm. At some point in the 90’s, when it was in his safekeeping, it was branded as a 102mm prohibited weapon. The length was arbitrarily set at 105mm,as I have been told,to render a whole lot of pistols prohibited. This of course means that most handgun owners can’t purchase them or transfer them. If you owned one at the time your license was upgraded to prohibited, if not good luck because no one gets a prohibited license. Bureaucratic BS!

That is simply one example of many Ziggy.
10-22 magazines
Ar-15
The semi-auto they banned, then relented on last year
And on and on and on...

In this instance it appears Bob Paulson is intentionally and blatantly LYING.

Cheers,
Nog

That is simply one example of many Ziggy.
10-22 magazines
Ar-15
The semi-auto they banned, then relented on last year
And on and on and on...

In this instance it appears Bob Paulson is intentionally and blatantly LYING.

Cheers,
Nog
Agree Nog, but I’m told it was intentionally set to make a very common barrel size illegal and impacted a huge amount of firearms. Talking to a local gunsmith and the CFO office in Ottawa, this made thousands upon thousands of firearms ( very popular with law enforcement and shooting public) suddenly prohibited. To choose a cutoff point a mere 3mm longer than what had been an industry standard was criminal!

The whole thing is criminal, RCMP rank up there with gang bangers and drug thugs, no different. Thug smashes your front door in to get something to steal for drug money, RCMP smash your front door in to get your registered firearms from a list that was ordered to be destroyed months before, both the dam same, equal criminals. 30 round 10/22 mags became illegal in one swift RCMP ruling, no just real cause, facts or retribution for lost property, we were all supposed to destroy them because they said to do. Cant wait to see what the sneaky bastards are up to now. Liberals will make another law that makes a legal gun harder to get, they are to stupid to realize the gang banger that is going to go shoot up some **** does not care about the liberal law. Liberal gun policy's the exact meaning of crazy. They keep going round and round with same outcome, maybe one day things will change.

HM

I think its ironic on a day tens of thousands of american students, my 13 year old daughter among them, after having her middle school shut down over a shooter threat two weeks ago, march to try and fight the NRA and the US gun culture, a disgusting thread like this shows up on a a Canadian sport fishing (not hunting or gun nut site). The NRA are the American Taliban, willing to have untold thousands killed for their gun "rights", and the language here is eerily similar. In Canada, Australia and Western Europe gun owner ship is NOT a right misinterpreted from a constitution, but a privilege subject to restrictions, that are and should be significant in nature. I have no particular problem with certain firearms being available for bonafide uses, such as hunting with significant requirements for eligibility to own them and education on how to handle them. However to believe you are are in the majority in wanting loosened gun restrictions for uses such as "protection" , and a much less civilized society is delusional in the extreme. Few Canadians want unfettered gun ownership as in America. The future of change in the US lies with the next generation like my daughter, who are tired of schools being killing zones, and I hope canadian schools never become like US ones. As they marched for today, books not Guns! To hell with the gun nuts on this site, you are not the majority, and you will be resisted (apologies admin as you may not like that language,but as a parent affected by gun culture advocates I'll take any punishment you deem necessary)

Last edited:
Why the paranoia?
Yes, be outspoken and you will be supported about owning and keeping your sporting rifles and shotguns, but concede that there is really no need for AK-47's and their like.

Disclaimer;
I got rid of mine years ago when I quit hunting.
Back in the day when you could carry them in to the local RCMP office for disposal without anybody getting excited.
Although they suggested you wrapped them in newspaper first.

I think its ironic on a day tens of thousands of american students, my 13 year old daughter among them, after having her middle school shut down over a shooter threat two weeks ago, march to try and fight the NRA and the US gun culture, a disgusting thread like this shows up on a a Canadian sport fishing (not hunting or gun nut site). The NRA are the American Taliban, willing to have untold thousands killed for their gun "rights", and the language here is eerily similar. In Canada, Australia and Western Europe gun owner ship is NOT a right misinterpreted from a constitution, but a privilege subject to restrictions, that are and should be significant in nature. I have no particular problem with certain firearms being available for bonafide uses, such as hunting with significant requirements for eligibility to own them and education on how to handle them. However to believe you are are in the majority in wanting loosened gun restrictions for uses such as "protection" , and a much less civilized society is delusional in the extreme. Few Canadians want unfettered gun ownership as in America. The future of change in the US lies with the next generation like my daughter, who are tired of schools being killing zones, and I hope canadian schools never become like US ones. As they marched for today, books not Guns! To hell with the gun nuts on this site, you are not the majority, and you will be resisted (apologies admin as you may not like that language,but as a parent affected by gun culture advocates I'll take any punishment you deem necessary)
You should at least take the time to acquaint yourself with the laws on gun ownership in Canada before flying off the handle. Everything you advocate is already covered. I appreciate that emotion has understandably got the better of you and no level of training, screening or education will catch all the nut jobs. But to imply gun ownership and legal weapons are in the same categories in Canada as they are in the US is a big mistake. I for one agree there is no need for assault rifles in the general population and support the bans in place!

You should at least take the time to acquaint yourself with the laws on gun ownership in Canada before flying off the handle. Everything you advocate is already covered. I appreciate that emotion has understandably got the better of you and no level of training, screening or education will catch all the nut jobs. But to imply gun ownership and legal weapons are in the same categories in Canada as they are in the US is a big mistake. I for one agree there is no need for assault rifles in the general population and support the bans in place!
Yep, right there with you Ziggy. I think our current gun laws in Canada are just fine the way they are. Restricted and prohibited classifications are correct and when this was first introduced along with the firearm training requirements well more than 25 years ago it was done right. I see no need (and statistics will back me on this) to make sweeping changes to the laws in Canada due to the osmosis of protests and paranoia coming North of the border.

The Conservatives got it right when they were in power and evened out the CFAC to include a few members who think that gun ownership in Canada is fine the way it is. Mr. Dress up and his band of bozos are reversing a lot of the good work previously done. They have re-stacked the deck of CFAC with a homogeneous collection of gun haters. They are also in the process of re-introducing a firearm registry which originally cost us billions of wasted tax dollars.

Where Scheer and the Conservatives are headed with some of their suggested policies though is political suicide. A firearms ombudsman does nothing but waste taxpayers money and removing the potential for serious penalties for allowing your PAL or R-PAL to expire is a mistake. The need for accurate information of who owns firearms is necessary. The need to know what firearms they own is not. The designation of PAL or R-PAL should be sufficient for any police response. The RCMP always know this information in advance of any call to any residence. For any calls that are out in public property, any registry information is useless.

I read nothing on this post that suggests anyone wants Canada to go the way of the US on gun rights. When does being the majority mean they have the right to make all the rules for someone else? The gun registry that was implemented years ago was a huge waste of money and did nothing to curb crime or the flow of guns and was scrapped 10 years ago and you know what the sky didn't fall and gun crime didn't shoot through the roof go figure. I want things that are fair and put in place for good reasons and not to make people like you feel like they are doing something progressive. Most of the new Canadian gun laws are an attack on law abiding Canadians to take more of our privileges away for no good reason except for the majority doesn't like it or get it. You know there was about the same amount of deaths caused by drinking and driving in the US as there are Homicides that involved firearms. The US has some major issues but to come in here and get on your high horse and bash people on this forum that's not cool. You might consider moving from your little spot of paradise to somewhere else as you are in a place where the MAJORITY want gun laws to stay as they are.

Outside of this statement from @california ,

" To hell with the gun nuts on this site, you are not the majority, and you will be resisted (apologies admin as you may not like that language,but as a parent affected by gun culture advocates I'll take any punishment you deem necessary)"

there is not much wrong with the post and the responses from a few members have been reasoned and civil in their tone. The two things that most often lead to removal of content or members being banned are name calling/personal style attacks, or posts that are blatantly intended to cause a fight. I am not sure I would classify the thread as "disgusting" simply because of the subject matter. Granted, we are a fishing site, but do allow some leeway for other subjects to be debated and many of our members cross over into the hunting community. It is difficult to monitor these emotionally charged topics without being accused of being heavy handed or too lax in our interventions. As long as the debate is civil we will keep our distance, but if it gets personal, nasty or contravenes our posting guidelines we will step in and remove content or shut the thread down. Hope this helps keep this one on the rails.

I think its ironic on a day tens of thousands of american students, my 13 year old daughter among them, after having her middle school shut down over a shooter threat two weeks ago, march to try and fight the NRA and the US gun culture, a disgusting thread like this shows up on a a Canadian sport fishing (not hunting or gun nut site)....

To hell with the gun nuts on this site, you are not the majority, and you will be resisted

Spoken like a true Leftist Trudeau / Goodale Apologist. Congrats on capturing that so well. :rolleyes:

I would strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with current Canadian Firearm Legislation.
It is leaps and bounds beyond it's parallel in the States.

We already have in place very stringent rules for firearm ownership, and especially so in the case of those deemed restrictive. The largest problem we have in Canada is NOT the lack of pertinent laws, but the lack of credible enforcement and adequate sentencing when those laws are contravened. This has been the case for many years, and the results are quite evident in the firearm related homicide rates between us & the US.

What is truly Disgusting is that Goodale & Trudeau are politicking on the corpses of the dead children in the US, nothing more, nothing less. They now feel empowered to suggest to the general public that firearms themselves are The Problem, and that LEGAL, Law Abiding Canadians must now be punished due to that fact, and that fact alone. Scrambling to "do something the populace will consider progressive". What they are up to is downright shameful, and anyone with half an open mind can easily perceive that IMO.

Punishing Legal Owners for the actions of Gang Bangers & Criminals is a completely Inane act. And will do nothing but further the divide between Canadians once again (something PET's idiot child is showing a great preference for engaging in). ENFORCE the laws we already have on the books. Put those who violate those laws in jail as prescribed by law instead of coddling them and kicking them back out of the revolving door to re-offend repeatedly. And leave those of us who abide by the laws alone.

I rather strongly suspect that the current government, and many with your expressed mindset, are in for a real eye opening experience should they try to ram some of these more draconian changes through. Two point five MILLION voters and their Families can formulate one hell of a response. And they are getting poised to do just that.

Once again, instead of angrily ranting towards your fellow citizens on an issue you obviously know extremely little about, I suggest you do a little homework on the subject at hand before engaging your keyboard, and indicating just how ignorant of the facts of the matter you truly are...

Nog

Unfortunately the emotional left will keep attacking law abiding gun owners with lies and hysteria. We'll soon end up with a society where only criminals have guns (and there will still be the same amount of gun fatalities).
1420 people in BC died of illicit drug overdose in 2017. 102 people also died (2015) from MV deaths with drugs/alcohol but the left want stricter gun control......

Prohibition, drugs, and crime all a big success story in our lives. And now for the immediate success of "Gun control" ?

There are some really significant differences between gun laws & gun crime in Canada and the US - in fact - between the US and almost every other "Western" nation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

In particular, the largest difference is the NRA and their interpretation and political/legal pressure in using the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution (the right to bear arms - any and all arms) is what makes any assumptions that gun legislation & use in Canada is equal and equivalent to that in the US - both naive and wrong.

Unlike the US - where the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected - there have been many successive changes in the gun legislation laws in Canada over the past 40 years or so.

Much of those safety-related changes (criminal record checks, safe storage, etc.) predate that of the so-called Lepine massacre - but that terrible and unfortunate tragedy was used - as were the victims families - to facilitate a number of predatory political and ill-supported changes to all firearms in Canada that had no basis in actually addressing public safety needs. No need to actually look at crime stats and holes in the so-called mental health services if you wish to make political gains - especially in Quebec - where the shooting took place.

Part of that particular round of gun legislation changes included the expensive, oft-despised and now defunct long arms registry that came in just before a federal election and spearheaded by Federal Liberal Justice Minister Allen Rock who used the Quebec gun control advocates to springboard his reelection - as did other largely federal Liberal politicians - while ignoring the more rural parts of Canada who had minor political pull due to meek electorate numbers.

A very high number of Canadians (population numbers) live in the Quebec City to Windsor Ontario corridor. If the federal government panders to their urban needs - they acquire a high number of votes to get reelected in Canada. Quebec, in particular - has a huge effect in elections - especially if you are a federal Liberal and/or Bloq. If you want to form the Canadian government as a federal Liberal - you need Quebec - otherwise they vote for the Bloq and maybe separation.

There are still many parts of Canada that are truly rural verses urban.
m2-eng.htm

In those areas, particularly - a gun (aka "long arm") is yet another life tool - like a chainsaw, an outboard, a fishing rod, or a a set of winter tires.

There has never been any evidence that this particular tool and life style (long arm and rural needs) was a significant issue that needed addressing in regards to decreasing gun crime in Canada - even after the Lepine massacre. I don't believe that the same could be said of mental health needs, or assault weapons, or gang violence.

It was however, a long-hanging fruit that the politicians could and did use for their advantage in temporarily appeasing both gun control advocates out of Quebec, particularly - where the Lepine massacre occurred - and the control freaks whom reside in the upper echelons of the RCMP. We are now - again - in that same situation - with a federal Liberal government trying to appease gun control advocates out of Quebec - by constructing the Liberal Firearm Committee and appointing Nathalie Provost to sit on the committee.

There has never been any indication that the long arms registry did anything other than waste billions of dollars in appeasing those groups. Money that would be better spent on the mental health system, IMHO.

Some pretty significant differences between Canada and the US wrt gun laws:
https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/world/us-gun-crime-police-shooting-statistics/index.html

Last edited:
Why the paranoia?
Yes, be outspoken and you will be supported about owning and keeping your sporting rifles and shotguns, but concede that there is really no need for AK-47's and their like.

Disclaimer;
Back in the day when you could carry them in to the local RCMP office for disposal without anybody getting excited.

Please enlighten us on where you can buy an AK 47 legally anywhere in the western world? The US? Nope. Canada? Nope.

I can't see anyone giving hundreds of dollars of rifles away when they are done with them either..

Why the paranoia?

Disclaimer;
I will not concede. No need to own a car that will go faster than stated speed limit. Turn in all the speedsters for disposal. Same thought process for some, yours is a dangerous statement. Biggest question is who decides what we can and cannot own, and what is this based on. Just because you see no need for a specific type of weapon does not make it the same for all. Its the demented person who commits the crime, not the weapon used. Drunks kill more people, we are not outlawing alcohol, it was tried and as stated how did that turn out. Sounds like a liberal merry go round and its coming back around. Definition of crazy=Liberal Gun ideas.

An idea, all the millions donated by stars in the US for marches against certain Guns and the NRA. They could have hired a team of experts to travel and educate students to recognize and how to react to mental health issues, or maybe given to the FBI to hire more staff to look at more info, this may have saved more people.

HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back