New Scotty Sure Stops

Surprised it took so long for scotty to make these setups. Been using this type of setup for years, chandler sells them.

I used the ones from chandler same type of thing. 300lb ganion .. better for when you have a rookie two-block your deepline .. you wont hear that misserable plunk of your cannonball heading for the deep.

These look an awful lot like the ones I've been using for years from Rite Angle Fishing Products. A little bit of infringement there?

http://www.riteanglefishing.com/about1-c14sl

Love the concept of the product, especially with braided line. I'd never go back to using stopper beads.
Scotty is working with Rite angle fishing and has bought the design and is making them in house now under the Scotty brand .. Riteangle benifits from working with them and there is no infringment issues ..

Been using this set up for years as I find the stoppers a simple and clean alternative. Only issue I have had most recently is to keep an eye on the swivels as I unfortunately found out the ones I purchased used overseas **** poor swivels (not USA) . After having a closer look of what was left of the 2 swivels I could see clearly they rusted out internally. Still looking for the 2 cannon balls. LOL.
Change out annually is my recommendation as I am sure after a season the blue twine would naturally deteriorate as well. I personally changed out my swivels to a USA type on my remaing stoppers and as well the next size up that will still slide thru the rigger wheel. I am confident they will now hold up well. Good question for Scotty as a quality supplier they would have taken this into consideration for the price.

Been using this set up for years as I find the stoppers a simple and clean alternative. Only issue I have had most recently is to keep an eye on the swivels as I unfortunately found out the ones I purchased used overseas **** poor swivels (not USA) . After having a closer look of what was left of the 2 swivels I could see clearly they rusted out internally. Still looking for the 2 cannon balls. LOL.
Change out annually is my recommendation as I am sure after a season the blue twine would naturally deteriorate as well. I personally changed out my swivels to a USA type on my remaing stoppers and as well the next size up that will still slide thru the rigger wheel. I am confident they will now hold up well. Good question for Scotty as a quality supplier they would have taken this into consideration for the price.
Any questions you would have to direct to Scotty directly as i do not work there a friend of mine does , So if you have any questions please call and they would be more then happy to answer your questions im sure.

No, the knot acts as the stopper.
I used to use swivels, but don't trust them anymore.

Agreed 100%!!

A slip bobber stop knot out of a piece of Gangoin cord tied to the Gangoin will trigger the stop and won't slip. (From my Walleye tourney days)

Cheap and won't give way like a swivel will if it (When it) gets hooked up, hence not loosing your balls.. in more than one way!!

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bobber-stopper-knot

Last edited:
main down rigger braid tie a 3 pass over hand and pull up with pliers

put a double over hand in 250lb ganion and join loop to loop
never had one not trip the stop.....

+ i tie mine up 8' in length as i like the balls to stay dragging in the water and use over length releases as well,
which i custom make myself. out of 250lb mono

I combo para cord and large swivels to my wire. Never had one not work and not stop. Been using the same set up forever. Think I used factory stops for only about a week back when I bought my first electric Scotties when they first came out on the market and the stops would constantly not work or get knocked off the lines etc..
We started experimenting with different stop set ups at the marina back then and since then have never used a factory line stop. There's no need when you can make your own for a few bucks. Just test it out a few times to make sure it stops every time before heading out to fish the new set up. Use a couple knots and a couple swivels to ensure 100% effectiveness if you have to.

I just wound up a pair or rite angle stop sets in my downriggerd with some new wire this year, seem pretty nice, can’t wait to try theme

After using the commercial cords for a while we bought a roll of the blue tuna cord at pacific net and twine a few years ago. 300 or 400 ft I think. It was about $65? We run 2 rods per downriver a lot and 15 lb canon balls with the 1106 riggers. To run this setup deep at the right speed every little extra bit of drag is a problem. Tried one like in the picture that was maybe 7’long with the rubber at the end and the blowback was significantly more. The thickness of the blue cord was thicker and the length of the whole setup made me think there was weed on the line. We have gone to 50 lb braid on the rods and a shorter tuna cord with no swivels... just an overhand knot at each end and if we have the arms out a long way maybe use a couple of red stoppers so the cord isn’t 7’long. Also found that the 250lb braid creates a lot more drag than the 200lb braid on the downriggers. Then if there is still too much blowback we lose one flasher or go back to one rod.
But the combo of thinner braid on down rigger and reel and a short length of cord let’s us run two rods without going up to the 2106 with heavier braid and balls.

Back