Mounting 3rd down rigger

Trophy21

Crew Member
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. I have a striper 2106. I have 2 down riggers mounted as far to stern as possible and want to mount a 3rd. Do any of you forum members have a similar boat and mounted a 3rd? I am thinking port side 3feet ahead of the existing one. Any thoughts? I have twin outboards and soon a kicker so I don't think off the stern would work?

I have 3 downriggers, with one port and starboard aft and the third mounted aft and on the side opposite of my kicker. I find it works better have the side downriggers extended a good amount but not fully, and having aft downrigger a) oriented to point to the center of the boats wake, b) have it shallower and c) use only a 10 lb ball (vs 15 on sides). I used to have #3 oriented straight back, but found too many tangles. Forget it in big currents.

hope that helps. DAJ

i run three riggers across the transom but have I/O. i use 15lbers swing all the same, then but do run my center shallower...
and fish with the arms fully extended ...
depending on if you can get fab work done ... just make it work
quite a few guys now running 4 riggers two per side ....

predator has a tripod setup over his twin outboards..

Well I went a bit out of convention but have great luck running
Three riggers. I have one one each side about 3’ forward of the transom. I have a custom bracket welded off the transom so the third rigger boom splits the twin outboards . They are all long boom scotty 2106’s. I run 15# balls on the sides and a 10 # ball out the back to shoot it a bit farther back as well. I can fish flashers on all three and make regular turns unless there are wicked cross currents. Even then going to a naked spoon or a choked herring without a flasher and dropping further back from the clip on the center rigger will usually solve any tangling issues.

I had a custom two piece bracket built for the 3rd rigger which mounts dead centre of the stern. I swing it to the side without the kicker to clip in the rod or check for weed. I fish my centre rigger only during the summer and it is the deepest. I run 13 pound pancake/stainless weights on the side and a 15 pound round ball down the middle. I also run the centre line the farthest back away from the boat.

Attachments

• mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 120
  • mount1.JPG
    mount1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 125
I had a custom two piece bracket built for the 3rd rigger which mounts dead centre of the stern. I swing it to the side without the kicker to clip in the rod or check for weed. I fish my centre rigger only during the summer and it is the deepest. I run 13 pound pancake/stainless weights on the side and a 15 pound round ball down the middle. I also run the centre line the farthest back away from the boat.

Thanks for the pictures pro fisher. That would work on my boat. I'll have rethink.It looks like most guys in the know run 3rd straight off the stern, which makes sense. I have a lot going on back there. Fish cleaning station and rod holder rack. Also have to check if my out boards would trim fully up with a bracket in place. I guess a removable bracket would be the ticket.
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Thanks for the pictures pro fisher. That would work on my boat. I'll have rethink.It looks like most guys in the know run 3rd straight off the stern, which makes sense. I have a lot going on back there. Fish cleaning station and rod holder rack. Also have to check if my out boards would trim fully up with a bracket in place. I guess a removable bracket would be the ticket.
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Trophy21: I run 3 riggers on a 21.5 ft. Campion. My side riggers are mounted 5 or 6 ft. from the stern of my boat. I run these 60" riggers extended and use 13.5 lb. pancake weights with ss fins.
My 3rd rigger is mounted on the side of my boat (drivers side away from the 9.9 trolling motor) about 2 ft. from the stern. This rigger is a 4 ft. model and just reaches past my swim platform. I angle this rigger a notch or two towards my main. I run a 12 lb. weight with the built-in lead fin. I run 3 riggers year-round and have no issues. The back rigger is kept either 10 ft. or 20 ft. away from the side one nearest it (usually above).
...Rob

That is why it is two pieces. Its held together by 3 pins that drop into holes. When I take the boat out of the water I take the 3rd rigger and the mount off so the engine can be tilted up completely. When the boat is in the water at the dock I leave my main down in ghe water. Less corrosion in the water so long as the zincs are kept up.

Back