2008 Trophy 2359 Kicker advise

work great..... u having a water problem with your flapped ones?

the Suzuki 20hp is only 9 lbs heavier then a yam 9.9 :)..

Thats interesting the weight is very close but the gear case and ratio affects prop size and pitch so I found the T9.9 is 2.92 Merc 9.9 Command 2.42 and the 15 pro kicker is 2.15 so lot's to consider. Any one one have any ideas on what the prop sizes would be used on these engines to compare

That 20 sure looks good beside that big 300

My 15 mercy is a high thrust, high thrust is important. I streer my unit with the intelli steet system. It’s wireless remote system, has a small motor and cable that goes through the tilt tube of the kicker. Has been quite reliable, I am now just at the point where in need to replace the cable, think I got three maybe 4 years on it, can’t remember. I mounted the motor on the inside of the dog house on the transom. It’s a little loud and steers the motor just quick enough, a little quicker response would be nice. It has been reliable though. The batteries for the remote are a little expensive. My friend had the same system but the hydraulic version tied together with a rear helm and that’s the best set up in my opinion. Tr1 would be nice with the auto pilot but it’s pricey and I worry about its reliability.

I get some low bass type noises that resonates into my cabin area, I don’t remember having it with my 9.9 Yamaha. The 15 merc is less noisy but I think the upgrade in the bracket I made for the 15 as it’s tied from the swim grid, bracket under grid and transom lets noise travel through the hull. I wonder if Derby’s style bracket would be better

I’ve got same set up and no vibes or noise. It’s rock solid. I mounted an additional support directly on swim grid to give it a little extra stability, but, the transom takes 95% of the load.

Thats interesting the weight is very close but the gear case and ratio affects prop size and pitch so I found the T9.9 is 2.92 Merc 9.9 Command 2.42 and the 15 pro kicker is 2.15 so lot's to consider.
That 20 sure looks good beside that big 300

Thanks for the Info. guy's I searched Trophy 2359 and found dmurph you had a 9.9 long and switched to the 15 so appreciate the feed back but how does the gear case reduction and prop size differ .
Have you noticed a big or slight change. with the yamaha reduction it should allow it to swing the same size prop. as the Merc . I'll need to look at the Suzuki a bit more as well.
Thanks derby and pescador for the bracket ideas they help alot
I haven't got my boat yet so I'm trying to reseach the best way to go with getting it setup and to go through some of the issues that need some work . Fish box seals, fuel cap etc.

Been there. Exciting times and lots to think about. Good luck. Happy to help out if you have other questions. Get your cheque book ready and ensure you tell your wife the cost was only 50% of what it all really cost.

The high thrusts run the same size prop I believe, the 15 made a big difference in control, the 9.9 was always pretty full throttle and wound right out in many situations. With the 15 I find myself using a lot less throttle and it runs much quieter. The 15 seldom comes out of the water to cavitation, but that’s due to the leg length. I would really get the 15 if possible. There was one on Craigslist with a tr1 awhile back.

The high thrusts run the same size prop I believe, the 15 made a big difference in control, the 9.9 was always pretty full throttle and wound right out in many situations. With the 15 I find myself using a lot less throttle and it runs much quieter. The 15 seldom comes out of the water to cavitation, but that’s due to the leg length. I would really get the 15 if possible. There was one on Craigslist with a tr1 awhile back.

Thanks guys whats your thoughts on steering and throttle control options

What derby posted is probably the most reliable set up. The rear helm, tied in with the intelli steer is a awesome set up, but I assume your inboard has power steering not hydraulic. I find myself sitting or hanging in the pilot house most of the time, so being able to steer from in there is very important. For this reason I went with the intelli steer type r, a wireless remote operation. What I don’t like is if it failed I have no way to steer kicker

What derby posted is probably the most reliable set up. The rear helm, tied in with the intelli steer is a awesome set up, but I assume your inboard has power steering not hydraulic. I find myself sitting or hanging in the pilot house most of the time, so being able to steer from in there is very important. For this reason I went with the intelli steer type r, a wireless remote operation. What I don’t like is if it failed I have no way to steer kicker

thank D murph thats another reason for me to consider the tiller as it folds up but its there in case
the description I have on the 2359 steering is Rack and pinion, so I assume power assisted cable steering, which you must have as well.
So a tie bar with quick disconnects would be fine to run it from the helm if your steering went out on you it could be attatched .
I like the idea of rear helm but you can't run it from the cabin if you need to limp home with a dead main, but fighting a fish would be way better.
Is the rear helm cable steering or hydraulic
I'll look into the intelli steer as well anyother thoughts on steering I'm looking at the TR1 but might not happen this year, just need to make a plan.
Thanks derby, dmurph

The throttle is just below the helm wheel..so I have complete control right there.. I can still steer with the main wheel to :)

The throttle is just below the helm wheel..so I have complete control right there.. I can still steer with the main wheel to :)

That does look great I'll have lots to learn on this type of rigging ,haven't had an inboard boat before so It's all new.
Outboard rigging is easier for sure

Last edited:
HI Derby could you send me a few pics of your 2359 kicker motor mount. i just purchased one and want to add a 15 4stroke. Thanks Bill

lIMG_1965.JPGIMG_1966.JPGIMG_1964.JPG

Hi Bill this is what I did its custom made anchored to the transom and stabilized by the swim grid it's very strong .
I used a 25 inch extra long shaft kicker the height is perfect Prop does not come out of the water very often unless its real rough

Attachments

• IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 40
I could dig out some others if you want?
deryk

Attachments

• 20180325_140940.jpg
    20180325_140940.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 26

Back