Low Maintenance 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton Trucks

The gm's do suffer from having a small tank, my 03 duramax shortbed is just under 100L...

Mileage is quite good though, when visiting family in penticton if I fill up in chilliwack, and put the truck on cruise @ 120km/h I will use somewhere between 40-45L (stop at the chevron right as I get into town). I leave my house around 5am on the Saturday morning so generally it's smooth uninterrupted cruising the whole way.

This past hunting season I was carrying 5 20L diesel jerry cans on a custom hitch extension under my camper at the back of the truck. By the time I burnt through a full tank it was time to get out and stretch the legs while I fueled back up. Vancouver to topley landing in one shot I believe is around 1200km. Had to stop and refuel a few times throughout the trip.

Yes the tanks are on the small side but for me certainly not a deal breaker.

in all seriousness if you want a low maintenance 3/4 ton, get a gas pot. if you want some power and mileage get a 12 valve cummins. and stay away from anything with a electronic injector.

I did a bunch of research before I bought mine made a list of pros and cons of diesels vs gas for me and how I use my truck I went with the 6.2 f250 superduty never had a problem knock on wood. dose burn a bit of gas but lots of power no problem with my camper and boat, 2700lb capacity, just under that when I'm loaded with all my gear. Better off with a 2nd gen 6L diesel then a 6.4 if it's had proper maintenance and work done if you end up going the Ford diesel route. Don't know much about the 6.7

I did a bunch of research before I bought mine made a list of pros and cons of diesels vs gas for me and how I use my truck I went with the 6.2 f250 superduty never had a problem knock on wood. dose burn a bit of gas but lots of power no problem with my camper and boat, 2700lb capacity, just under that when I'm loaded with all my gear. Better off with a 2nd gen 6L diesel then a 6.4 if it's had proper maintenance and work done if you end up going the Ford diesel route. Don't know much about the 6.7
Which is the second Gen 6L it seems like there are lots of cheap 6L Ford Diesels out there for a reason.

there are no good 6.0l,
Couldn't agree more, both my 6L and 6.4L service body truck had multiple engine failures. We finally deleted everything after warranty was off and the issues stopped.

Last edited:
I think the 6.4 ps was the worst engine ford made. At least the 6.0 ps was a good motor when bulletproofed. They could pump out serious power tuned.

watch your camper weight, mine says 2700lbs dry, and it is well over 4000lbs loaded when I scaled it.
Can't go wrong with a duramax but try for 2006-07 LBZ

I think the 6.4 ps was the worst engine ford made. At least the 6.0 ps was a good motor when bulletproofed. They could pump out serious power tuned.
ford did not make it LOL. the 6.7 scorpion on the other hand is a ford built engine

Which is the second Gen 6L it seems like there are lots of cheap 6L Ford Diesels out there for a reason.

I'm not an expert but the "second gens" are the later year 6L where a lot of the bugs where fixed. Like unreel said if they have been bullet proofed by the right owner all the deletes head studs and exhaust done they are pretty rock sold just from what I've seen with a few friends that have them.

Like I said before diesel just seemed like to much work and cost for me. I use my gasser for firewood and lots of camping in summer other then that I'm not always towing a trailer around or anything. Also some guys like to bring the fuel thing into the equation. My opion you can buy a hell of a lot of gas for the extra cost of a diesel just my two cents not trying to sell you on a gas lol

watch your camper weight, mine says 2700lbs dry, and it is well over 4000lbs loaded when I scaled it.
Can't go wrong with a duramax but try for 2006-07 LBZ

Not sure if you where referring to my comment but my camper is 647kg and don't see my boat being over 200lb tongue weight truck has 2700lb payload

I'm not an expert but the "second gens" are the later year 6L where a lot of the bugs where fixed. Like unreel said if they have been bullet proofed by the right owner all the deletes head studs and exhaust done they are pretty rock sold just from what I've seen with a few friends that have them.

Like I said before diesel just seemed like to much work and cost for me. I use my gasser for firewood and lots of camping in summer other then that I'm not always towing a trailer around or anything. Also some guys like to bring the fuel thing into the equation. My opion you can buy a hell of a lot of gas for the extra cost of a diesel just my two cents not trying to sell you on a gas lol

Yeah, price of one injector would pay for a couple months of gas for me.

I've been driving a 2011 F250 SD with the 6.2 gasser with the new 6 speed tranny for 4 years now. It had 100k on her when I bought it and has 225k now. Normal maintenance with nothing major gone wrong in 125k since I've owned it. Great truck and engine/tranny combo. Ford finally got it right. The engines are good with lots of torque where you need it for towing. Apparently tuned the engine and tranny are even better and ultra smooth.

Last edited:
I've been driving a 2011 F250 SD with the 6.2 gasser with the new 6 speed tranny for 4 years now. It had 100k on her when I bought it and has 225k now. Normal maintenance with nothing major gone wrong in 125k since I've owned it. Great truck and engine/tranny combo. Ford finally got it right. The engines are good with lots of torque where you need it for towing. Apparently tuned the engine and tranny are even better and ultra smooth.
Still loving your Ford? Looking at options again and it looks like 2011 Gas 1 tons are my target.

That's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison. I'm guessing used 6.4 powerstrokes sell for comparable money to 6.0 Chevies ? There is a reason for that, they are rolling grenades. Towing with a gas truck obviously can be done but it is like 5000 rpm going up the hill followed by virtually no engine braking abilty going down the other side. I personally find the torque and engine hold back of diesels to be awesome. If the power of diesel didn't put a smile on your face going up the hill, when you start your decente with engine brake and trans in tow/haul mode the trucks ability to slow down with out using brakes will. I find gas motors to be heartless things to tow with, but thats just my opinion.
Duramax all the way

I have a 2500hd with the 6.0L. All trucks have their issues and this one does too (those notorious leaking gm cooling lines) but man the 6.0l reliability is legendary. My father in law drove his 520000kms, with nothing done to the engine, and only sold it because it wouldn't pass the Ontario e-test. Don't buy it for fuel economy though, but if that is a concern buy yourself a fiat 500 and switch to golfing. I went the diesel route before this and went through all the issues and don't regret going gas.

I have a 2500hd with the 6.0L. All trucks have their issues and this one does too (those notorious leaking gm cooling lines) but man the 6.0l reliability is legendary. My father in law drove his 520000kms, with nothing done to the engine, and only sold it because it wouldn't pass the Ontario e-test. Don't buy it for fuel economy though, but if that is a concern buy yourself a fiat 500 and switch to golfing. I went the diesel route before this and went through all the issues and don't regret going gas.

I don't disagree with the logic of buying the gasser vs the diesel. It's simply a matter of accepting that you can't tow your boat/trailer/whatever at 140km/h up the Coquihalla!

I drove a 2014 Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L gasser for about 15,000kms (before changing jobs). Light boat towing and general use. The throttle mapping and transmission mapping were AWFUL! So detuned in the lower RPM ranges and the transmission was in the highest possible gear at any time....it was really terrible. The truck was a basic spec but otherwise a good truck. If I were to own one myself I'd have to get it tuned to help the throttle response. It was shockingly bad

Back