Scotty downrigger 1106 or 2106

I have 2 2106 extended boom models and one 1106.

Something to consider is that it is not just how deep you want to fish but how and where you fish. The 2106 will allow you to run heavier balls and control blow-back/cable angle more which I have found useful in high current areas like off Sooke. The added weight also makes it easier if you are stacking rods as all that extra gear and line adds a lot of drag/increased blow-back and all the more so if you are fishing deeper and/or in strong current. You may not want to fish deep all that often but it is better to have an optimal set up for doing so and not need it, rather than find one day you may want/need it and not have it.

The only downside (other than amp draw) is that it is easier to screw up with all that extra speed and power, such as hitting the up button when not paying attention and jam a lower weight ball into the pulley when it jumps out of the water at you and the ball and terminal gear breaks off. They are less forgiving than the slow speed, low power model, but you get use to them. Keep in mind that if you run heavier balls, you will wear out braid, cable and terminal gear more quickly and need to change out and retie more often.

Last edited:
One word of caution, if you spool with more than about 400 ft. of braid on the 1106's - especially the Scotty version of braid - , it can get so tight on the spool that it warps the spool. When you have a Scotty authorized place repair it, they'll tell you no more than 400' or the next time they won't replace the spool.

I went with the 2106 last year, I traded a centrepin reel for two new ones. That’s the only reason why I gave up the 1106’s.
I don’t think I could go back to the 1106’s because of a number of reasons. First is the speed, it’s huge. Second is how smooth they are compared to the 1106’s. Last is how quiet they are.

2106 without a doubt. I’ve got both and the 2106 is superior. Fast, deals with more weight and the counter humidity issue is nonexistent.

the learning curve was short , lost a ball or 2 when i switched , made me think twice about them ,
now , 2106's set-up correctly , havent lost a ball in 2 seasons ,
( i you use the auto retrieve , and stay away from the manual push button , you will never lose anything )
slap my friends if they ever touch the push buttons lol , twist and go....
my auto stop , has the ball sitting 1 foot below the pully wheel , right out of the water for me now , no chance of hitting
the sides of the boat in rough seas

as mentioned , smooth quiet , MOST IMPORTANT , fast , at all depths , get my gear outta the water asap ,
i wanna fish , not wait , especially when its goin off....
run 3 on the striper now , buying for my welded soon
never go back to the slow rickidy rackidy 1106's

imo

fd

If ur looking at getting some, try to shop local first if at all possible. Have found better prices at the local tackle shops. Stores will often price match or give you a better deal anyways. Would much rather give the smaller local guy business over a big business.
I always look to local market first I think its important too.

If anyone has 2 good used -1106 60" I would look at that as well.

thanks for the feedback

I've seen a few used 1106 but not seen any used 2106, so that tells me people upgrade but only one way. I thought about just getting a used set to start with but if I buy new I get lifetime warranty and all new equipment complete, just need to run the wiring. The places I've checked seem to be pushing the 1106 but, from what I read I'm leaning toward spending the extra $140 plus tax, for a pair on the faster, quieter 2106's and will likely get the 300' braid model on whichever. I've never used either model before but I hate to save $140 and regret it and I will be doing some fishing in deeper water down the road.

2106 is great for fishing deep as mentioned. I load mine up with 600’ of 200# power pro after tightly duct taping a couple of layers on the arbor. If you are only occaisonally fishing down to 200 or so the 1106 is probably fine. Once you get used to the speed it is hard to go back though.
Have you had any problems with the spools warping? I loaded up 3 of mine 2 years ago with 450' of braid (did the duct tape backing first) and I had 1 spool break and a second one warp. Scratching my head a bit as there should be no shrinkage with the braid according to everything I know about braid which I have been using exclusively on my reels for years with no issues.

I hung up on a deralict crab pot and pulled pretty hard on the whole works and after that my spool was all wonky and I was pretty sure it was broken. After spooling the braid off I found the spool had just been temporarily warped from the braid digging in and spreading the spool. I put a fresh couple wraps of industrial duct tape and reloaded the braid and that was that, good as new. I would caution using any braid thinner than 200# power pro though. I am not sure about the 1106 spools. I thought they were 2 piece design like the 2106 spools?

I can only imagine cranking 15 or 20 pounds up 200ft, lol. I used a hand cranker in a 12' tinny on a lake once but nowhere near those depths and weights.

Years ago we use to sometimes crank up 15lb balls from 1oo feet and more on the old short blue riggers. It was tough at the beginning of the season, but by the end of the season it would come up quick and one arm would start to look a little too much like Popeye. I miss being young.

Last edited:
I hung up on a deralict crab pot and pulled pretty hard on the whole works and after that my spool was all wonky and I was pretty sure it was broken. After spooling the braid off I found the spool had just been temporarily warped from the braid digging in and spreading the spool. I put a fresh couple wraps of industrial duct tape and reloaded the braid and that was that, good as new. I would caution using any braid thinner than 200# power pro though. I am not sure about the 1106 spools. I thought they were 2 piece design like the 2106 spools?
I was told today at PNT that the spools on both the 1106 and 2106 are the same. Suggestion to use some backing on the core which might prevent this in the future.

I did redo the one that is warped and it works a bit better but only marginally. I fish 15 or 18 lb balls and sometimes run them out as far as 300' on the counter but nowhere as deep as you have gone.

either way, you will be happy after using hand cranker's !
I've been running manuals for the past four years. I always told myself the workout justified the beer! Borrowed my friends 1106s late last season and now I have my own 2106Bs. I gave away the manuals and hope to never see them again!!!

I think everyone who starts fishing should own manual ones, just for the experience lol. Nothing tougher than fishing solo with 2 lines down 150 plus feet with a fish on and manual downriggers, those were the days lol.

Back