Scotty downrigger 1106 or 2106

Mike park

Hi Guy's looking for some user feedback on which model to get between the 2 .
I see the faster retrieval speed of the 2106 but the lower amp draw of the 1106 seems like a good compromise.
Any user feed back Im looking for 2 -60 inch .
Thanks. Mike

Last edited:
I've used both and have the 2106's now.I'd say it depends where you fish,if your fishing over 150ft. depth's ,go with the 2106's. If you plan on only fishing Sooke @ 40-100 ft. you'd be fine with the 1106's.You can run heavier balls on the 2106,but will you need to?Is the difference in price that much if your going to have them for a long time?

Been using 1106's with 12-15 lb balls for 15 or 20 years, Other than a belt replacement or brake cleaning never had a problem. Scotty makes a great product.

2106 is great for fishing deep as mentioned. I load mine up with 600’ of 200# power pro after tightly duct taping a couple of layers on the arbor. If you are only occaisonally fishing down to 200 or so the 1106 is probably fine. Once you get used to the speed it is hard to go back though.

Get one of each. You won’t go wrong. I have two 2106s and one 1106. I’ve used 1106s since they came out and the 2106s for two years now. All good.

Get one of each. You won’t go wrong. I have two 2106s and one 1106. I’ve used 1106s since they came out and the 2106s for two years now. All good.

Thanks I thought I read of problems with the depth counter fogging or hard to read on the 2106
Cabelas has 1106 for 549.

As others have mentioned, you dont really NEED the 2106s unless youre fishing deep often. If you predominantly fish in the top 150' with 15# balls, the 1106s will do just fine. If you find yourself fishing offshore in 200' or deeper, youll want 18# or 20# balls and the 2106s. If you like to stack rods, the 2106s have an easier time handling the extra load obviously.

One thing to consider as well is that the 2106s have a digital counter, which is just 1 more thing to fail, so carrying a spare counter or 2 with the 2106s is a good idea.

Ive got 1106s on my boat, and 2106s on the boat I guide out of. Honestly there isnt much difference between the two. Im happy fishing with either.

Whatever you choose, Id spool them with 400' of 200# power braid. Any more than 400' and the line can start to fold over itself on the spool creating tangles. 400' is enough that you can lose a ball here and there and still have enough line on the spool to re-tie and keep fishing.

I fish 1106's and the last part of this summer, I was using 18# balls. I stay with the 1106's because I have minimal charging capacity running my 20 hp 2 stroke so I like to keep the amperage draw lower (the draw on the 1106 is almost half of that of the 2106). As well, the 1106's are rated up to a 20# ball with an 11 amp draw and a retrieve rate of 185 feet/min compared to the 2106 which is 19.5 amps at 260 feet/min. Now one could argue that the 2106 amperage draw per minute of use is similar over time compared to the 1106, but that would be like splitting hairs.

I also commonly fish deep, can have up to 250-300' of line off the rigger out. That's why I go with the 18# balls. As for the retrieve speed, if a person can't wait an extra 30 seconds, just sayin'.

I also run 400' of the Scotty 200# braid with a Rite Angle fishing products rigger stop - high performance gangion/snubber combo. Have only lost a ball to date because of human error, never had a line break.

In my opinion, unless you have money to burn, the 1106's will do exactly what you want and need for less money ($200+ for a set) with a few less bells and whistles.

As others have mentioned, you dont really NEED the 2106s unless youre fishing deep often. If you predominantly fish in the top 150' with 15# balls, the 1106s will do just fine. If you find yourself fishing offshore in 200' or deeper, youll want 18# or 20# balls and the 2106s. If you like to stack rods, the 2106s have an easier time handling the extra load obviously.

One thing to consider as well is that the 2106s have a digital counter, which is just 1 more thing to fail, so carrying a spare counter or 2 with the 2106s is a good idea.

Ive got 1106s on my boat, and 2106s on the boat I guide out of. Honestly there isnt much difference between the two. Im happy fishing with either.

Whatever you choose, Id spool them with 400' of 200# power braid. Any more than 400' and the line can start to fold over itself on the spool creating tangles. 400' is enough that you can lose a ball here and there and still have enough line on the spool to re-tie and keep fishing.
Why limit yoursellf lol. I have caught coho down to 490’ and springs down to 521’ on the counter. Not really common but some years the fish are down deep due to weird ocean conditions and if you can’t reach them you are missing out.

How do you see a fish hit when you have 600' of mono out? lol

No mono. A high speed avet reel loaded with power pro and a 50’ top shot of mono. In 2012 this really paid off for us in a very good grade of fish. Not the most fun way to fish but rewarding to figure it out and make it pay. You also have to get rods poked out as far to each side as possible and make very gentle sweeping turns and keep your speed up using only plastic hootchies behind flashers.

Last edited:
Fair enough! I dont think youll catch me trolling that deep any time soon but if it works for you then thats awesome! I spent a lot of time trolling offshore from 220-240 in the Haida Gwaii this past summer, and that was deep enough for me!

Yes the next year we were quite pleased to only have to fish 200’ to get into the fish.

As mentioned the amperage draw on the 2106 is substantially higher and with an older motor or using a smaller kicker and fishing deep, you may find that it will over task the battery. As far as the counter is concerned, a manual counter can be installed in addition to the electronic one. They are fast though.

Both are great. You can catch a fish on the way up on an 1106 if you reel up with it. Doubtful with the 2106 (too fast).
The best thing about the 2106 is that when people buy one, they should sell you an 1106 for ~$300, at least that's what happened in my case.

I too appreciate the lower amp draw and don't see myself fishing below 200- 250 feet but who knows. I would be happy with a couple of good used ones with the long boom if anyone has a pair for sale . Can you just replace the wire with braid or is the drum different

Thanks I thought I read of problems with the depth counter fogging or hard to read on the 2106
Cabelas has 1106 for 549.

If ur looking at getting some, try to shop local first if at all possible. Have found better prices at the local tackle shops. Stores will often price match or give you a better deal anyways. Would much rather give the smaller local guy business over a big business.

Back